Pesky 1997 e350 7.3 PSD fuel leak. Expert advice please? Get me outta the doghouse?

About a week ago I picked up a sweet 1997 7.3 Powerstroke diesel extended econoline van with 220k miles.

It was crashed by PO, so I straightened out the front, replaced the radiator, put an offroad bumper on it and things are going great! They could be going better however, as the damn van leaks fuel! If this was a fueler, it would be quite a lot more distressing, but I still want to get it sorted.

I popped off the dog house and quickly noticed where fuel was dripping out, and shot a video, which you can see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIrVMZ-pkeo

Now, I would appreciate if somebody with experience could shine a light on what is likely going on here, what I should do about it, and if theres anything else I should do while in there?

I have searched for this info online, and so far only come up with later models 7.3s located in f series or expeditions, which are a totally different kettle of fish.

For now, I gotta get this sorted or else my lady will put me in the actual doghouse for buying a sick van! Which leaves me with this song to accompany my plight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lza3NVH6Ig

How do I get access to this stuff? Its tight in the van! What else should I do when I'm in there?

Thank you in advance, kindly,

Cameron.

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Post in the camper van forum. More traffic over there. I couldn't get a feel for where you are geographically in the engine compartment from that video but I'm watching on my phone in traffic so that might be the problem.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Remove the fuel bowl and get a rebuild kit (o-rings) from dieselorings.com. Start there

cjken

Explorer
Yes rebuild fuel bowl
Change out fuel pump if it is the mechanical one those two things solved my fuel leak.

the leak was the Fuel Bowl Restriction Sensor. I replaced it with a very reasonably priced unit from dieselorings.com. also changed the filter to a racor and filled the fuel bowl with sea foam. the motor seems to be running just a little bit stronger now and no leaks. that was enough time spent crammed under the hood, so I left it at that, although I do have the rings kit on hand for when i'm feeling more masochistic.

thanks for the help :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles