• PETE'S CAMP 2.jpg
    PETE'S CAMP 2.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN0299_1_1.jpg
    DSCN0299_1_1.jpg
    552.7 KB · Views: 23

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I've found a place that makes adjustable ride height position sensor links. What does that mean? It opens up a new world of tires. By setting the regular ride height an additional inch higher, I can run up to a 32" or maybe a 33" all terrain tire. When putting the truck into lifted mode, it'll go up an additional inch. The air suspension on the models with the off-road package and those without have the same suspension airbag components. The off-road package lifts the truck 4.2" when activated. The model I have lifts 3" when activated. So by playing with the sensor, I'll be able to increase my "stock" ride height to fit tires while also gaining that additional inch of clearance when I push the button to lift the truck. So now the only thing I'll be missing by not having the off-road package are the three lockers and two-speed transfer case, which for my application doesn't seem super necessary. If I'm putting a car like this is a place I need triple lockers, it probably shouldn't be there :smiley_drive:

If anyone with airmatic suspension is interested, the website is www.adjustableairride.com and you just let them know you want raising links and not lowering links. When it's time to get tires, I'll be doing this, but until then it's just on the list of wants vs needs.

sonk_76

Is the 3" air lift "standard" on your car. I've noticed that on at least a 2014 GL the "standard" (i.e., no off-road package) only raises the car about 1"--almost makes you wonder why bother...

Which made me wonder if the height of the lift was purely a matter of a programming setting, in which case is it something that could be tweaked in software. I like that option better (than the physical sensor rod adjustment) as it would allow one to maintain the standard ride hide for everyday use, but then access a greater temporary lift if needed.

Love learning about your experience with GL off road. How have you found the traction control to work off road (i.e., absent lockers, does it do a decent job locking free spinning tires--something that less effective traction control systems may struggle with, especially when climbing [most work "fine" on flat, or non-pressure conditions])?

SWbySWesty

You are correct that some models don't have the lifting airmatic suspension. I found a bunch of those. The GL320 was not offered with the off-road package. The off-road model (gl450, 550 and now AMG) obviously does have the off-road package option.
So far, the traction control has been suitable for the terrain. The off-road program acts a little weird as it adjusts the throttle and shift points and I actually feel I have LESS control than with the off-road program switched off. Also of note, you can use the off-road mode without lifting the truck. It's neat to hear a wheel slip and then feel the car automatically adjusting via brakes to achieve four wheel drive. But the traction is there and well distributed.

SWbySWesty

I should also point out the lack of articulation. In places where I've previously taken many other trucks, I do notice a loss of traction with this vehicle due to a lack of suspension articulation. The 4matic activates so it's OK, but it's just something to keep in mind. You'll hear the suspension top out as it goes to full reach. If you have a little speed, this results in a noticeable clunk. I take it as "slow down" which was previously NOT in my vocabulary.

SWbySWesty

New fun fact: All of the 12V power ports (center console, under passenger dash, second row and cargo) will automatically cut off power when battery voltage reaches a certain level. I was worried about this while running my fridge in 110' weather only to find that the truck cut off power appropriately until I turned the ignition. This built-in feature is great for camping and fridges. I usually get a lot more life out of a battery and my fridge, but we had extreme weather in Baja on this last trip.

The downside: unexpectedly getting a 'cool' beer from the fridge and not a cold one. :friday:
The upside: not stranded

Coming up: Front and rear airbag replacements! My front one exploded under extreme weather and idling (6 hours of idling in 110'+ weather didn't go well).

SWbySWesty

...and this truck is for sale. It's been nothing but trouble since I bought it. It now needs a transmission transfer case and a few other minor bits. I could fix it, but I'd rather cut my losses and be done with it. I personally think it's a lemon. Time for something else. I liked the truck, and would have kept it if it didn't have problems, but it's been one thing after another. Literally something new breaks once a week.

sonk_76

...and this truck is for sale. It's been nothing but trouble since I bought it. It now needs a transmission transfer case and a few other minor bits. I could fix it, but I'd rather cut my losses and be done with it. I personally think it's a lemon. Time for something else. I liked the truck, and would have kept it if it didn't have problems, but it's been one thing after another. Literally something new breaks once a week.

Ouch! Sad to hear it. I didn't realize you had been having issues with it from the get go.

I hope your experience was an issue with the specific vehicle, otherwise it doesn't speak very well for the GL class use anywhere outside the mall parking lots! I was personally rooting for a great diesel alternative with some reasonable (within limits) off-road capabilities.

Good luck with sale!

SWbySWesty

Yea, I got a lemon for sure because I have not gotten a chance to abuse this car. Transmission is slipping, transfer case is slipping, rear hatch just broke, check engine just came on (hopefully nothing too $$), the left side airbags are acting up now that the right side is new, etc etc.

This wouldn't steer me away from a Mercedes, but in the future it'll have a full warranty and under 100,000 miles. I'm hearing more about how these cars can get expensive after 100,000 miles and this proves that. I would definitely recommend this car if you can afford it in newer condition, but that price tag steers most people away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles