New RTT mattress

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I talked with the owner Mitch today and ordered a mattress. Very nice guy and seemed to know his stuff quite well. He said it would take about 3 weeks or so which is understandable since they don't really stock RTT mattresses yet. They did just move to a new warehouse so they are also still getting settled in. I'm very excited about this purchase, seems the older I get the harder it is to get a good nights sleep!

I will be posting pictures once I receive it and let everyone how the process went. Also if anyone is wondering on the price it will be $174 before shipping. That is for my Iron Man RTT with a 55" wide mattress. Same dimensions as the ARB tents and a few CVT's.

Yes keep us posted. I need one for my ARB. Age is taking its toll on me.

ddog45

Adventurer
Still waiting for the the correct mattress to be made and shipped to me. I started this process in the beginning of april. After many phone calls and being assured that it would be made right I am still waiting. At this point I have to say buyer beware. I trust that this will all get worked out but if you are in a rush this is not a good company to work with.
I got an email today with a shipping label for me to return the wrong mattress, I promptly replied and said no way not until I received the correct mattress. I don't want to bash Mitch but maybe I should have ordered in the fall so he could take his sweet time.

Last edited:

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
This is a shame.

Trying to be positive after talking to Mitch, I had hoped he'd swing by here and at least offer some moral support...especially since there doesn't seem to be lots of options out there for our needs, and his quality seems to be adequate. I think the price point is fair as well.

Maybe he can get the customer service side ironed out and get back on course. Especially with the big move then slammed with orders, it just caught him off guard.

Please keep us posted how the process ends up.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I've been following this thread because my trailer's memory foam mattress needs replacing. Options are:

Another memory foam mattress from one of the RTT companies (best price out there?)
Full sized air mattress
Two large individual Thermarest style mattresses

It may be that there are other sources for a mattress of the type that the OP purchased and we just need to see who else is importing this style and will custom size the cut to order.

EDIT: related Expo thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...Top-Tent-and-the-Uncomfortable-Mattress/page4

Last edited:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I too am following this thread in hopes of ordering a custom size mattress from him. But, as much as I hate to say it, this reminds me of the Sierra Trailer saga. When I had my former AT Horizon with the Maggiolina atop I tried several different foam mattresses before ending up with a 3" latex mattress with a Damask top made by a local mattress shop...it was perfect.

Until I met Rhonda I had been using my current Autohome Columbus (XL, small width) solo with a single (30" wide) Exped Megamat 10 which offers incredible support and comfort even for this side sleeper; if only they offered the same in a 46" width! The only negatives with the Exped: 1) If you find yourself camped at varying elevations you will need to adjust the air pressure accordingly. And, although Exped replaced it no charge under warranty, I had a seam fail in the middle of a trip.

I'd follow the same path now with a latex mattress...but Rhonda has a latex allergy. But for those without a latex allergy I highly recommend you check them out. I found and contacted these folks and they were happy to cut the mattress to my dimensions...and in the world of quality latex mattresses their prices are a bargain!

https://sleeponlatex.com/products/n...dQlHMelSudRwAsALoxVtGKu6_ifAQR7lZfxoCPFDw_wcB

MountainD

Adventurer
I ordered my mattress from Mitch---I talked with Joan and ordered my custom size through her. I have found their communication to be fine so far--and I am hopeful. They told me right up front that it would take a couple/few weeks to make and they wanted to make sure I didn't have a trip right around the corner that I am waiting for. Growing pains can be tough--we have all seen that. But I am going to give them a shot and see how it turns out and then report back here. We will see what happens in June---for now I am optimistically hopeful. :)

1Louder

Explorer
Foambymail.com is a good option. You will have to do some minor customization but have lots of choices. I read on another forum someone decided to just double up with a second mattress from Tepui. Not a bad idea I guess. The issue is always with closing the RTT. In my old RTT I added a memory foam topping and slept great but had to remove it after everytrip to get my trailer into my garage which gets old. I replaced my CVT matress with 3" of more dense foam from Foam by Mail. I had to trim one side down on the CA King size and make small cuts to fit around the hinge area. Not hard to do at all. What I have now is very firm. It might be too firm. So the next experiment is to put my thermarest pads on top to soften things up a bit. Problem is all of this is so subjective and we all like different styles of mattresses. In a perfect world I would have 1-2" of latex or memory foam with 2" of a standard foam.

MTaco

Adventurer
Fingers are crossed. I got an email from them this morning saying they will make my mattress today. They sent me an invoice and shipping to MT will be $80. Yikes! Hope it all works out, I'll keep you posted.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Fingers are crossed. I got an email from them this morning saying they will make my mattress today. They sent me an invoice and shipping to MT will be $80. Yikes! Hope it all works out, I'll keep you posted.

Man that is a lot for shipping. I am afraid TX would be the same or more. May have to rethink this after all of the problems.

I was thinking the same as spressoman. I bought a lid for my M416 from Chris at Sierra Trailers. A fine product but poor business model that looks like it just put him out of business. I actually got on a plane and went to see him from TX to get my lid. Hope this isn't a repeat. I need a better mattress in my ARB.

MountainD

Adventurer
My quote was $75 to Colorado. Overall, that doesn't surprise me. They have to not only get a big *** box, but then ship it oversize which is always steep. Seems in line with other things I have had shipped. Overall, mattress plus shipping still seems to be a reasonable deal. If it is as comfortable as I hope, it will be well worth it. I can't wait to post my findings...

ddog45

Adventurer
My correct mattress is on its way to Colorado I can't wait to have the correct size. I got a little wound up over this transaction and maybe it was all for nothing. I will do a proper review once I have the mattress installed.

MTaco

Adventurer
My correct mattress is on its way to Colorado I can't wait to have the correct size. I got a little wound up over this transaction and maybe it was all for nothing. I will do a proper review once I have the mattress installed.

Well that is good news! I'm eagerly awaiting mine too. I called and talked to them today to see if they would have mine shipped out but no luck. On Monday they said it would be shipped out in a few days but that didn't happen so now I'm hoping I will get it before next weekend. We have a camping trip planned and it would be nice to have by then.

sunnybean

Observer
Well that is good news! I'm eagerly awaiting mine too. I called and talked to them today to see if they would have mine shipped out but no luck. On Monday they said it would be shipped out in a few days but that didn't happen so now I'm hoping I will get it before next weekend. We have a camping trip planned and it would be nice to have by then.

Looking forward to your review. I have a feeling the Mrs is not going to be fully comfortable as is. So, I'm looking at this or 'sleeponlatex'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles