New RTT mattress

MountainD

Adventurer
After many more nights on our coastline RV mattress, I am extremely happy as is my wife. She traditionally likes a softer top, but hates memory foam, and I like a little firmer and we are both very happy with the performance. Definitely not memory foam, but still has a great cushion with firm support. Those little springs are great. If you read my previous review about communication with them, that was the only "fault". Their quality seems to be there and when they get their act fully together, they will be an incredible asset to this community.

green73brc

Observer
Any more updates? I am going to be spending 25 night with six bodes in a rtt this summer. We did it last year and I really started to hate our stock matress by day 5. How about side sleepers is this enough support so my hips won't bottom out at 200 lbs.

ripperj

Explorer
I finally am ready to order two mattresses from Coastline, but I guess UPS changed their shipping to based on volume, and it costs as much or more to ship than the mattress itself.
I am working with Mitchell there, seems like a good guy who is trying to come up with a good solution.

Sent from my Passport

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Why can't all the :&@$/?&@$ roof top tent manufacturers just put in a better mattress? For the price we pay for these things they should be as comfortable as home. I need two new upgraded mattresses for two different tents and it seems like the most convoluted ridiculous impossible thing to get done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigskypylot

Explorer
Why can't all the :&@$/?&@$ roof top tent manufacturers just put in a better mattress? For the price we pay for these things they should be as comfortable as home. I need two new upgraded mattresses for two different tents and it seems like the most convoluted ridiculous impossible thing to get done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed. When I ordered mine from Mitchell, he said he talked to the owner of the company of my model tent and they weren't interested. I'm very happy with my matress and the service I got from Mitchell. I'm also glad I got mine this past summer from the sounds of it

Srpat

Observer
Cheaper mattress upgrade

I think this has been discussed before. My CVT matress was horrible until I put a 1.5" foam topper underneath. Much better, except it would sometimes get pinched on the hinge when deploying. New idea is to cut up the topper and place it inside 2 of our older sleeping bags and then buy 2 new bags to sleep in. Seems like a pretty effective and cheap solution. But I agree, $2,000 for a tent you would think the mattress would be better.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I think this has been discussed before. My CVT matress was horrible until I put a 1.5" foam topper underneath. Much better, except it would sometimes get pinched on the hinge when deploying. New idea is to cut up the topper and place it inside 2 of our older sleeping bags and then buy 2 new bags to sleep in. Seems like a pretty effective and cheap solution. But I agree, $2,000 for a tent you would think the mattress would be better.

$2000? You got off easy! The exact same crappy foam mattress is used in an $899 tent as a $4500 tent. That is my gripe.

Last edited:

green73brc

Observer
I finally am ready to order two mattresses from Coastline, but I guess UPS changed their shipping to based on volume, and it costs as much or more to ship than the mattress itself.
I am working with Mitchell there, seems like a good guy who is trying to come up with a good solution.

Sent from my Passport

I had the same problem. I am hoping he figures it out. This summer I am just going to stick a few self inflating pads underneath and hope I can get by. I love the RTT concept but I am starting to think for a decent one you need to spend 7k or more. I just wish someone could execute a better setup at a reasonable price point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior