It never ends....

60seriesguy

Adventurer
I was reminded today of the classic Robert Earle Keen song, "The Road Goes on Forever", except in my case, it's not the party that never ends, it's the tinkering and modifications! :p

I'm planning to make some changes to my expedition trailer and wanted to take advantage of the first nice weather we've had in a while. Since it was already out (we're moving so the garage is impossible to get into), I figured I'd start by cleaning it and making some minor repairs.

On my last trip I found myself wanting an easily accessible place to put gear in it, so I took a cargo net I had lying around and mounted it to the top frame bow. This should hold books, extra clothes, etc...

Also, I'm about 90% certain that I finally figured out a way to mount a table securely/solidly onto the side of the trailer while it's in camp. I've been fiddling with this idea for a long time and finally found a solution for it. I need some metal first, though, and the two places I hit this morning didn't have what I'm looking for. More on this later....

The final step (he, he, of *this* round of mods, I guess) is a solution for illumination, sleeping arrangements, and even hygiene (one mod for all three...intrigued?); I've spent hours trying to figure this one out too, and I think I have the answer. Again, more on this later....

I'll leave you with some pictures, as you can see, my 2-yr old son was very eager to help by playing in the "lil house"! ;)

Attachments

• DSC08138 (Small).JPG
    DSC08138 (Small).JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC08140 (Small).JPG
    DSC08140 (Small).JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC08145 (Small).JPG
    DSC08145 (Small).JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 374
  • DSC08147 (Small).JPG
    DSC08147 (Small).JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 324

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
The closer I get to being finished the more I seem to have to do...

In the end it is all about the fine tuning and making things just a bit nicer.

Still - you have one of the finest and most capable handmade trailers I've seen posted :wavey:

edit= BTW when I was living in Santa Cruz CA I had a chance to mix the stage sound monitors for REK band - they always did a killer rendition of that song live!

91xlt

Adventurer
nice set up...looks great. i have a question for you, regarding the top of the trailer, the decking below the tent...any pics, what did you do there?

60seriesguy

Adventurer
Steel lid, 18 gauge, X-creased and reinforced with two 1" "ribs" running parallel underneath. Hinged at the front, lockable, lifts with two gas shocks. Pictures below:

Attachments

• debut12.JPG
    debut12.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 177
  • jrlid.jpg
    jrlid.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 176
  • inside of the lid.JPG
    inside of the lid.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 143
  • green trailer, open lid.JPG
    green trailer, open lid.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 207

atavuss

Adventurer
Henry,
sweet trailer!
what are you using for the fuel can holders? are they mounted to the sheet metal sides of your trailer? any idea if they will hold the Scepter brand plastic cans?

60seriesguy

Adventurer
atavuss said:
Henry,
sweet trailer!
what are you using for the fuel can holders? are they mounted to the sheet metal sides of your trailer? any idea if they will hold the Scepter brand plastic cans?

I bought these holders from the now defunct 4x4trailers.com. I like them, they're simple but strong and have held up pretty well, I've had them on there for about 4 years now. I am not sure if they'll hold a Sceptre can or not, I don't have one to try.

Grouseman

Adventurer
Mods

Henry,

Thanks for all the neat ideas. :clapsmile Keep up the good work with all the mods. Inquiring minds need to pick your brain for trailer ideas all the time. Especially me.

Gman

Ramdough

Adventurer
TEASE!!!!

Give us some some hints or about your ideas. :coffee:

BTW, your trailer makes me want to get one.... of course I would REALLY have to learn how to back up a trailler offroad. :Wow1:

Nice work!

91xlt

Adventurer
60seriesguy said:
I was reminded today of the classic Robert Earle Keen song, "The Road Goes on Forever", except in my case, it's not the party that never ends, it's the tinkering and modifications! :p

I'm planning to make some changes to my expedition trailer and wanted to take advantage of the first nice weather we've had in a while. Since it was already out (we're moving so the garage is impossible to get into), I figured I'd start by cleaning it and making some minor repairs.

On my last trip I found myself wanting an easily accessible place to put gear in it, so I took a cargo net I had lying around and mounted it to the top frame bow. This should hold books, extra clothes, etc...

Also, I'm about 90% certain that I finally figured out a way to mount a table securely/solidly onto the side of the trailer while it's in camp. I've been fiddling with this idea for a long time and finally found a solution for it. I need some metal first, though, and the two places I hit this morning didn't have what I'm looking for. More on this later....

The final step (he, he, of *this* round of mods, I guess) is a solution for illumination, sleeping arrangements, and even hygiene (one mod for all three...intrigued?); I've spent hours trying to figure this one out too, and I think I have the answer. Again, more on this later....

I'll leave you with some pictures, as you can see, my 2-yr old son was very eager to help by playing in the "lil house"! ;)
Enlighten Us Please....

60seriesguy

Adventurer
I'm having a hard time finding a piece of metal I need. I need steel (heck, I'll take aluminum or stainless at this point) C-channel with an inside measurement (so the inside piece of the [ ) of at least 3/4". Thoughts and ideas? I can either use a solid 12" section or a couple of sections of at least 4" in length.

I also need aluminum L-channel in an 8' length, having a ************ of a time finding it in Austin.

PCRover

Adventurer
Check here. They have alum channel, not sure if it's what you need though.

Nice trailer! Share what you can on your progress, I am always looking for ideas to incorprate into mine.

Ramdough

Adventurer
60seriesguy

I live in Austin TX and buy metals regularly for work. PM me and I will get a list of vendors and recomend some good sources.

I buy all of my steel from a recycler (i get new steel at half the price of the local vendors).

Let me know and I will help you find what you need.

Ramdough.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Henry,

I'm already jealous of your 60, now I'm jealous of your trailer. Is there anything else that you are hiding that I can be jealous of? Let's get it out in the open. :jump:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne