Father and Son's Off Road Expedition Trailer build

silvrzuki77

explorer
I meant the pine tree pictures. We were the week before memorial weekend. It's on fire right now also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
I meant the pine tree pictures. We were the week before memorial weekend. It's on fire right now also!

Ya. It's super nice up there. I haven't been home to see what the damage is gonna be like. Gonna make the Archery hint coming up interesting also. Hoping to go home Monday for 4 days if I don't get recalled. I've been on a 9 day shift and ready for a few off. How's your summer been?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silvrzuki77

explorer
We don't do wild land! Wish we did. We are just blistering in the heat running up and down the strip.

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
We do structure protection mostly since we have type 1 engines. But we will chase small brush or grass fires with hose packs for awhile. I like Structure Fires 100% better. I'd rather backfill for the boys that want to work the large brush fires. I like the comfort of the station over sitting at someone's house on structure protection. Unless the Fire is balls to the wall coming at ya then structure protection can be a blast and a huge rush. Nothing like a 100 ft wall of fire charging at ya.

jonesw3

Adventurer
Well been spending more time building again. It getting closer every day. Problem is I can't seem to get any time off work. We have 240 fireman vacancies right now so time off is not easy.

Worked on all the wiring the other day. Have everything wired up. Trailer lights, clearance lights and all of my 110 outlets at 12v appliances are up and running.

b9fece0706d609213cf64bf911383e91.jpg

Also finished the basics of the galley. It's going to be super basic. My plans are for a lot of counter space and a sink. The counters will be hinged so you can store stuff underneath. The. 1 shelf above that will hold bins. Then I'll have a bungee net across to hold them all in. No doors just real basic.

02a8d9d4fe190213fdc04efe5e5eae2f.jpg

Also starting to get some paint on it. My plan is a two tone grey and black. The bottom 1/3 will be truck bed liner like Hercules or something like that.

11b9991f68ec812d31f89b40c122d7f7.jpg

You can see my 30amp service line sticking out the hole. I won't hook that up until paint is done. Also input my side markers up higher so you can see them better. I didn't want to put them on the sides of the trailer for fear of them busting off when off roading. Also I ran all my trailer wires inside along the bottom wall. Hope I don't regret that down the road. I just dust have holes drilled out of my frame to run them through and didn't want it going under the frame where you have the potential of dragging your frame off road and smashing the wires.

What type of paint did you use? I'm in the process on building one and can't decide wether to skin it with aluminum or just paint it.
Thanks

Alabama Overland
www.alabamaoverland.net

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
What type of paint did you use? I'm in the process on building one and can't decide wether to skin it with aluminum or just paint it.
Thanks

Alabama Overland
www.alabamaoverland.net

Sorry for the late reply. I'm getting killed at work and just haven't had time to respond. I think somewhere in here I talk about the process I used but if I didn't I used Valspar Duramax for the final exterior coats. Probably 5 coats or so. It's kinda a rubbery or flexible type paint that isn't supposed to crack and supposedly holds up well to the elements.

I haven't been able to take out the trailer for a month now due to work. But I guarantee once I get a few days off I'll have it hooked up and heading for the mountains.

jonesw3

Adventurer
You may posted it earlier and I just missed it. Either way, thanks. I think I'm going to give it a shot on my trailer as well. Nice build by the way!!

Alabama Overland
www.alabamaoverland.net

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Thanks. Really enjoyed the build. Learned a ton. It's not near as nice fit and finish wise as a lot of the trailers on here but we are more than pleased with it. They are an absolute blast and I wouldn't trade it for a Moby. I actually like ours better. I saw the Moby's at the Overland Expo and while they are nice they are to small inside for me. I really like the size of mine. It's bigger than most but I think it's perfect.

When I originally started planning on a build I was set and sold on building a Military style trailer with an RTT then my son told me he really wanted a hard side so we settled and did the OffRoad Teardrop Style with an RTT on top. For me I'm more than happy I went this route because where I live an A/C unit is a must. Hard to do that with an RTT. I say go for the Hard side. If you do you'll never look back.

jonesw3

Adventurer
I agree. I have had several military trailers. A hard sided trailer with ac is a must in Alabama. The heat index today is reaching 110. Here is a sneak peek of my build so far. I will start a build thread soon.
914728e35b5f9bb928f6a60cce80db29.jpg

Alabama Overland
www.alabamaoverland.net

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
I agree. I have had several military trailers. A hard sided trailer with ac is a must in Alabama. The heat index today is reaching 110. Here is a sneak peek of my build so far. I will start a build thread soon.
914728e35b5f9bb928f6a60cce80db29.jpg

Alabama Overland
www.alabamaoverland.net

That looks great. You'll love having the hard side setup. Are you building your own frame or do you already have one?

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
Agreed, did the RTT military trailer for years, hard sided is the way to go and won't go back! And the wife is way happier, so win win!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94