Father and Son's Off Road Expedition Trailer build

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
And what r u thinking as far as storage? Something enclosed, something that u can just strap stuff down to?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Strap down for sure. I'm thinking of just doing some type of metal frame about 4-5" over the height of the wheels. Then in the bottom and outside putting expansion metal. Then I can just tie stuff in.

Last edited:

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
That's a really good way to do it. That is how you rack on the front is and I'm in the process of doing the same kinda setup in the rear of my fenders. Your build looks great, how much longer do you think you have till complete?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Hoping in the next few weeks. I figure I need about 4 more days and I'll be done. I'm letting my son take care of all the painting etc since he's home and I'm in California at work.

I want to be able to haul things on the side of my trailer like an ezup, propane, gas jerry cans, camp chairs etc. Things that don't really matter if they get dirty or wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knawledgeman

I drove by and saw you working on this the other day. I got on the forum hoping that you would be posting your progress and lucky me I found it. This looks great, hope one day I can come by and look at it in person. Keep up the good work.

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
I drove by and saw you working on this the other day. I got on the forum hoping that you would be posting your progress and lucky me I found it. This looks great, hope one day I can come by and look at it in person. Keep up the good work.

Stop by anytime. It's been agonizing and fun at the same time.

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Well the end is near. It's been 6 weeks since I started my build. Today was day 13 that I worked on the trailer. It's taken so long because I commute to LA for work and days off have been hard to come by. I'd say one more good day and it will be all done. I'm to the point now I could camp in it. I just need some fenders and hook up the sink and make some brackets to install the RTT on and it will be done. This has been a fun build but also very frustrating at the same time. I really wanted to just paint the interior walls of my trailer but due to a few cutting errors I had a few to many gaps that were bigger than I wanted so I opted for carpet. I've never installed carpet before but in 95 degree heat let me tell you that contact cement dries super fast. I really didn't want to have to use staples but I couldn't get the carpe to stay up without it. Maybe in the future I'll redo the interior but to be honest I was starting to get burned out. Not because I was not having fun but mostly because I was pressed for time. Wanted it done for our Moab trip so I was among some dumb errors on cutting etc to get a tight fit. It's really not top quality like I wanted but when I consider its intended purpose it's on a be fine.

We got in our new axle that I ordered and it was about an inch longer than I wanted. So now I hang out over the sides about 7" per side. Not happy about that but it is what it is. Also we decided to put the axle under the spring instead of over to drop the overall height a little but now when I build fenders they will cover the lower part of the Windows. Didn't plan that to well. I'll most likely flip the axle back to how we originally had it and just deal with the extra 6" height.

e7bf4542f3f60a4f81f61378d89c7444.jpg

You can see in this photo the lower height. Also my son up top installing the vent fan. Didn't realize the fan I bought was exhaust only. Another screw up there.

Got the wheel spacers on so the Jeep wheels will fit.

04ab4752804bb8f8f88e8704e2e45161.jpg

Put all my windows in and when I installed the front window I didn't take into consideration that it's probably not a good place for a slider on an angle like it is because water, rain etc can pool on the window. Should have done just a non slider there. Oh well. We'll see how it works. If I have issues it will get swapped out.

e492846040ad766168ba3773bd1ead91.jpg

Picked up a Tuff Stuff RTT that had some minor damage for a huge discount. Hoping to get that on next week. I'm stuck at work until Wednesday next week. Hopefully I'll have it out on Friday and Saturday for a Maiden before the Overland convention the next weekend.

Also I had no idea what a PITA the Max coupler hitch was going to be hooking up. It's a two man job and if you can't maneuver your trailer by hand it's about impossible to hookup. If you were ever by yourself and needed to hook up solo you'd be screwed. It's nice but I'd just go pintle hook next time and deal with the noise. And they aren't cheap either.

d9a2dc232e4f4af52f194a11b5922630.jpg

b29cd43a161a7911648fb30858fd80ef.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Raul B

Explorer
Trailer looks great. What part of LA are you stationed at? I commute to Korea town for work from Simi Valley

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

silvrzuki77

explorer
Dang you really moved on the build! Looks great!

Don't worry your getting one of our horrible problem child firefighter's in January! Lucky us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M35A2

Tinkerer
I think it looks great.

If the little stuff like the staples bug you, just hit them with a Sharpie.

Overall it looks terrific and I hope you and your son enjoy your trip.

MountainD

Adventurer
Looking good---I hear you on the Max Coupler--I ended up going the Lock-n-Roll for that exact reason. Super easy hook up. I know there is a big following for both hitches, but the ease is what sold me. If you need to go the easy route, take a look at them. https://locknroll.com/

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
I think it looks great.

If the little stuff like the staples bug you, just hit them with a Sharpie.

Overall it looks terrific and I hope you and your son enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the sharpie tip. I'll go buy a bunch and let my kids go crazy with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94