Father and Son's Off Road Expedition Trailer build

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Well the build has begun. My 17 year old Son and I have begun to build an Off Road Expedition style hard sided trailer. We will also include my 12 year old son when possible to make this a family build. This should be a fun project for my boys and I do together. Hoping to have It done before a trip to Moab we have planned towards the end of May. I commute to work from Utah to Los Angeles so I'm limited on time so on my days off I'll have to put in some long days. The plan is to build a trailer that we can pull behind our 03 Jeep Cherokee that we are also building at the same time as this that will sleep at least 3. Our plan is for 2 to sleep inside and we also have plans for an RTT on top. It will be a little bigger than most hard side trailers you see but I'm doing this for my comforts. Me being 6'5 and my 17 year old son 6'3 I didn't want to be crawling in a tiny cramped up trailer that feels like I am in a sleeping bag. The side profile will be 5' tall x 10' long and about 78" wide at the outer side of the wheels. We plan on a very basic rear kitchen with a sink and a 15 gallon Harbor Freight water tank. We will also have a portable cooktop. Propane shower is also in the plans. On the inside I plan on using carpet on floor, walls and ceiling. This will help with sound proofing and extra insulation.

Construction wise we are building the trailer from 2x2 .120 wall for the frame and 2.5 1/4"square for the front tongue and rear tongue. Sides will be 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood and the floor will be out of the same. I plan on doing the top out of 1/4" Baltic Birch and the interior out of 1/8." Also i am planning to frame this out of 2x3's with insulation between the 3/4" outer and 1/8" inner walls. The 2x3's are total overkill but I want it to be strong for supporting the RTT. One thing I can guarantee is this will be way overbuilt. Hoping to come in at under 1500lbs all said and done.

Got off to a slow start today. Must have made 3 different trips to lowes for misc stuff which slows us down alot. My son is a Senior this year and is in his second year of welding at school. So I'm leaving the frame welding to him. I'll cut the pieces and he can weld away. Today we basically got a majority of the frame built and the floor cut out. I go back to work tomorrow night for 5 days so it's gonna be slow going for these first 2 weeks. One of my hold ups is gonna be Windows. I looked around town today and couldn't find anything for a camper like this. So most likely I will have to order off the internet. Problem is I don't know where or what sizes. I'm planning on a window across the front and 2 side windows. I'd also like a window in the door. If anyone has any ideas for that I'm all ears.

Here's a couple of pics of the start of the frame.

Also the rear receiver hitch tube was taken off and cut and re welded even with back of trailer so it doesn't ruin approach angle.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458884503.597008.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458884524.598489.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458884543.318600.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458884567.053400.jpg

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Looks like a decent start!

I got your PM, but have questions about your question.

Are you referring to fastening the floor (plywood) to the frame (steel)?

If so, see the attached image, this is how Id advise.

Floor is attached to the frame with adhesive and fasteners (I use reamer screws)

Then wood frame (plates and studs) is attached to the floor with adhesive and wood screws.

Then wall skins are attached to wood frame and steel frame with adhesive and fasteners.
Stainless brads are used to attach wall skins to the wood frame.
Reamer screws used to attached wall skins to steel frame.

method.JPG

That should help you sort out the logistics of things.

Besides all that, Id urge you to reconsider your wall skins.

3/4" baltic birch is WAAAAYYY overkill and way heavy.
I built Idacamper2.0 using 6mm (1/4") skins, and believe I could have gone thinner.
It is tough as nails. So please consider a thinner panel, especially with your plans to frame and insulate.

3/4" would have its place if you were not going to frame and insulate. Its that sturdy.

Ive got the weight sheets in front of me right now...

5x5 baltic birch:

1/8" (3mm) 11lbs per sheet
1/4" (6mm) 22lbs per sheet
1/2" (12mm) 43lbs per sheet
3/4" (18mm) 64lbs per sheet

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
IdaSHO. Thanks for the info. It's a bummer about using the 3/4" Baltic Birch as I've already bought and cut it. That's a $350 mistake but one I'll have to live with since I'm not starting the rest of that process over. Maybe since it's such a stout exterior wall maybe I can rethink my 2x3 framing? But then again at this point were probably talking maybe 50lbs or so staying with the 2x3's. Oh well live and learn. Like I have said in other threads this one is my first and I already am planning another one. So live and learn on this one I guess. Thanks for the input though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yes, Id rethink your framing if you are committed to the 3/4" for the sides. :)

Afterall, the 3/4" in a box that small is plenty without any framing at all!

If you are keen on insulating, Id consider bonding a layer of XPS foam to the interior of the baltic birch, and bonding a layer of 1/8" luan to the foam for your finished interior wall.

Forgoing the framing all-together! It will prove lighter, be a touch better insulated, and be cheaper and easier to build since you do not have to worry about a frame.

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Maybe I'll just forgo the insulation all together. I figure 3/4" Baltic Birch has to be a better insulator than the RTT we plan on putting on top. I do need to Ron some kind of base plate on the bottom though because I cut out bottom sheets so that the walls would rest on top of the steel frame and butt up against the 3/4" BB ply bottom sheets. I don't plan on camping much where it's gonna get down to freezing temps. So maybe the exterior walls are good enough?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
If you dont think you need the insulation, by all means dont bother!

Simplifies everything a bunch, and increases the interior space quite a bit by not having thick walls.

Instead of insulation, maybe line the interior with fabric/quilting once done?

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
A few things to remember. .Baltic Burch does not have any exterior, waterproof glue abilities. ..no matter how well you seal it, moisture will be your enemy.

If you want to use 1/4" on the interior, and marine grade on the outside...you are just postponing the inevitable. Any leaks will destroy the Baltic birch quickly.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Not ever store gets the good stuff, Ill say that much.

I wouldn't expect a box store to have actual baltic birch.

Lots of impostors these days it seems.

But actual baltic birch (normally found with stamps in RUSSION) does have a waterproof glue.

I'm lucky enough to have a local supplier that carries the real deal.

Either way, for this built a coating of epoxy top coated with a good paint will prove pretty bomb proof. :ylsmoke:

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
I bought my Baltic Birch from a Specialty Lumber store that sells direct to cabinet makers. Intermountain Lumber. Hope it's good stuff because it wasn't cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Thanks Burley. It's been alot of fun. It's moving along good but now I have to leave for work. Windows are going to be the holdup for me. Can't decide what I want and at about $100+ a piece shipped I wanna get it right.. I know I want 2 large side windows a door window and a front window though. Just waiting until Monday so I can actually talk to someone about them..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior