BlendMount Radio mount

brentbba

Explorer
Anyone here used a blendmount to mount a ham radio faceplate? Picked up a 2nd Yaesu FT-8800 on closeout pricing for my commuter Prius. I have an FT-8800 in the Landcruiser that I really like and obviously have the cable and programming software already. Seems like their application for a scanguage would work perfectly and has been done per a PriusChat forum member. They make mounts for gopros, radar detectors, etc. too.

I think I've got three options. 1. Blendmount to put the faceplate up above or right below the rear view mirror. 2. Ram seat mount that bolts a semi-flexible post to the passenger seat floor bolt. 3. Velcro the faceplate just under the radio on the center console. Saw this mount on a Prius board. Probably the least stable and wires ran up each side of the center console. Poster liked this option for ability to remove the faceplate quickly. Not sure I like the last option as the wiring was messy. With the blendmount, I'd need to extend the mic cable down to the console. I've read about the ram mount being used for ipad and mini mounts and being a little shaky off road. Well, the Prius ain't goin' off road and the faceplate of the 8800 is much lighter than an ipad or mini.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
I use double sided tape until I get the mount location right. Never did Velcro. I also screwed mounts to the dash before.

My next install is leaning towards a ram mount on the seat bolt. That may be tough depending on passenger legroom.

I am not a fan, but have had to put up with, wires on the dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brentbba

Explorer
My OCD doesn't like the wires running up both sides, or even one side of the console for that matter. Looks tacky and messy and I just don't like it. Running the wiring would be easiest on the ram passenger seat bolt mount and I wouldn't have to worry about running a mic extension down to the console from the rear view mirror. The one thing I like about the blendmount is that the face plate is tucked up and out of the way completely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne