What vehicles make the best Expedition platforms?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have/had/driven everything.

Defender/TJ = intolerable on long highway journeys
JKUR/Tacoma = tolerable on long highway journeys
Mid-sized SUV = ok on long highway journeys
Full size SUV = comfortable on long highway journeys

Based on your plans, that would drive my decision making process most. If the money cannon was full, I would overland in a new Range Rover LWB. But I don't think it would be $100k better than my old suburban or $80k better than my $23k new Tacoma.

Highway miles make up 99% of the trip. Rigs like the Suburban that can in a clean roof mode do 18-19mpg, and give a great ride and still tackle some tough roads off pavement, makes it a serious rig.

Same goes for most of the modern trucks.

Ultra light near back packing gear the Subaru has been an awesome rig too. In those cases they all handle better on pavement than my 4runner did. That was why I got rid of it after avoiding a gravel truck that lost control on the highway and took all 6 lanes trying to avoid mass carnage. First and only time I thought my number was up. I had the 4runner on two wheels. I did 65,000 commute miles on a motorcycle and ditched the 4runner because of two scarry events on the highway.
The landcruiser I bought was an awesome machine and very good on the highway even on 34s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles