What vehicles make the best Expedition platforms?

Sunpilot

Observer
I am posting here because I can find no other place for my question. I hope I am in the right section.

My dilemma... I'm a retired person with plenty of time to build a rig, and then to use it for exploration. I live in Arizona, so most of my off-roading, etc. will be out west. Might go to Alaska, and probably do Baja in addition to AZ, Utah, etc.

I am looking for opinions on what vehicles make the best platforms for reliable conversions. I will be traveling either solo or with a partner for the most part. I would need a rig capable of doing lots of miles on highways to get to my destinations, but also capable of going most anywhere once off road. The things that matter most to me in a rig are as follows:

Decent fuel economy/range
Smallish size for tight trails, but still maintaining adequate space for essential items for week long excursions.
Ability to hold roof top tent
Might decide at a later time to tow an off road trailer if I need more capacity, so my rig would need the power to tow probably 2500#
4WD is a no-brainer, and locking rear axle if available (I can always install an aftermarket locker)
I like vehicles with full frames to carry load and off road flex, but would consider a rig with semi frame if rugged enough
I don't want to go older than 1999
Reasonable purchase price and parts availability to customize are considerations I would look for

There are way more things to consider, but this will get me started. So far I have a few vehicles on my list that I think would fit the bill nicely, so please weigh in on my potential list, or give me suggestions on vehicles I have overlooked.

My short, so far, list..... Toyota 4Runner 3rd gen. Jeep XJ 1999-2001 or 2002, Toyota Tacoma, Toyota FJ, Jeep TJ, LG, or early Unlimited. I'm sure there are vehicles I've overlooked. I also think it would be awesome to convert a small van to 4 wheel drive, but not sure which are easy to convert and have adequate frame structure for extended off roading

I greatly appreciate any input. Believe me, I've been doing a lot of research, but find myself bouncing from one platform to the next with regularity. That's why I am asking opinions from those of you with experience with these vehicles. Thanks again for your time

M35A2

Tinkerer
IMHO, something that is basically dependable and for which parts and services are easily and inexpensively available in the geography you will be in.

After that, feature/function as required (size, ground clearance, power, speed, economy, all wheels powered, etc.).

But first and foremost, maintainability.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Personally, with those regions identified that you want to go, I'd stay with something domestic.

Everyone loves to tout Toyota's "reliability" but if you've watched Expedition Overland when they went to Alaska and the Yukon, they were sidelined for several days waiting on new lug studs for their Toyota. The local NAPA at the town they were in didn't have them. I bet if they needed lug studs for an F-150 they would have them in stock. Canada has a TON of Fords and Chevys. Fords and Chevys (even the occasional Dodge) are used as farm trucks all over the place. If you were gong to be operating an auto parts store out in the middle of no where that serviced a bunch of farming communities, what parts would you stock in your store?

Airmapper

Inactive Member
The poor mans Toyota 4Runner, 2005+ Nissan Xterra's are not on your list. (Personally I'd get a 2009 up if you can, the bugs were worked out by then.)

They should not draw the premiums Toyota's and Jeeps do, but they are every bit as reliable as a Toyota. Been in production for 10 years so parts are not going anywhere for a long time.

Aftermarket custom parts are much more expensive, but they do exist. Some schools of though recommend overland rigs not be heavily modified anyway.

Fully boxed frame.
Fits 33" tires with no lifts needed.
OFF ROAD/ PRO-4X trims have factory rear locking diff.
Range is about 300 miles, less under 4x4 conditions. Fuel economy is dismal, expect 16-18mpg once you load it down with off road tires and gear.
Tows 5000lbs.

They have their pluses and minuses, but it's another option. I absolutely love mine. I've wheeled with many of the vehicles on your list, 4Runners, Tacoma's, and Jeeps of various flavors. I've held my own, with no lift or drive train mods.

ScbUmdO7TqAMpjEL-NL-b6mBV70P_oj8s8CZ4xV5FZDC1udhc7d3HcJUGr8fYeYq7o9Ijgfe_TTV_tv9R5Im0KNNfU1OIxtXgV0eDL-iewdcAkBIUOdyWPuCuOvx3PVSIQ3EndrYX2rTgvifBvy0NbwCazrhHNP4X5n_8hIpSxXZMq5agdxe5XXSsXc85pAYp-lyoagyIGqfMDY-ZuRmM6nr3NoV1ysUkyZgLN1kKkbpNLzj0VamTEEg1OPw_F8MJ7vf_s1jT-Zt6or69Dvmh5cGF6FHzhU3MiRtjuQjGhcfjkNcSi_Xq3fxe4deapWk_PJpfxEsj9hvCDXqsTI6RUES1RkNCDlUg_jU3noeEgm-OnLIE3t0afGul26xY7yaCNkw_naQqAiLi7MUqpCZ4g1DcVI-Zxhn2elnQNKuE2qI-WL1v2ZpM10Jf16b9lbtOF_XxlRTKa0IyGn04tKNMcbsyMdUyFUhQ0s9bpHZPwy44ilvKLpFtJDk6Yo3B5wXAQc_HpTxj6Vs6f7qGMcA49-M2z2mRimgIAseQYBEaDgPYtjpqa0zZ7rIg8o6ZkOThXwZ=w1268-h947-no

4x4junkie

Explorer
I also think it would be awesome to convert a small van to 4 wheel drive, but not sure which are easy to convert and have adequate frame structure for extended off roading

I've seen a few Chevy Astro/GMC Safari vans converted to 4WD... From my understanding all you need is to find yourself an AWD version and then swap in a real transfer case that has low range. I don't have specifics but a little bit of research should turn up some info on this pretty easy I would think.

Interestingly I don't see Ford Aerostar vans converted near as often even though there is an AWD version of these too, which should readily accept a Ranger or Explorer transfer case for your low range. Could be something to look into if you want to buck a trend maybe... Great engine (the 4.0L V6 especially), the transmissions hold up well too if you add an external auxiliary cooler to it (not sure the last year for the Aerostar... '98 I think? Might be just off the edge of your radar).

I don't think you will find much in the way of bolt-on accessories for any small van though, however if you have a small welding outfit, this should make a moot point of that. Both vans have a fair amount of locker & gear choices available (at least for the rear axle).

×2 on Toyota. They are NOT the reliable standouts they once were in the 1980s. They also are a huge nightmare to work on too (gotta drain the coolant and pull the friggin' radiator out just to change a power steering hose :mad: ). I think another vehicle that should be on anyone's radar is the Ford Explorer. These had two-speed transfer cases up through the 2010 model. They did lose the solid rear axle in 2002, though depending what kind of terrain you intend to tackle, this may or may not be that big of a deal. Lockers are available for both the SRA and IRS models. Has a full frame, very rigid body structure, and lots of interior room (far more than a Jeep XJ, ZJ or similar).

Ultralite

Adventurer
My sig line will reveal my bias but, I think Suburban/Yukons are overlooked too much. By what you described here are some reasons I'd recommend one:

1. Used market availability, they're everywhere and at every price point.
2. Long rides and long days? There's no better highway cruiser than a Yukon XL or brother Burb.
3.Domestic, plentiful, affordable parts in North America.
4. You could save the money on a roof top tent and build a way to sleep inside. Take out the 2nd and 3rd rows (which I just did) and you'd be amazed how much space is in there.

As far as building for off road, be careful. Folks build some amazing rigs on here. But the more aggressive upgrades are not needed for much of the off roading you'd be doing. It sounds like you want to get to some beautiful places to camp. That's typically a different terrain than the rock crawling capability you can see on sights like this one. I'm not saying that was your intention with your build, I'm making a guess based on all the things you stated.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
When I visited the locations you mentioned, they were all wide open spaces best suited to a fullsize. So unless you have a specific tight trail in mind, that's my recommendation. America is wide open spaces. Nothing like a CCLB fullsize truck that can comfortably haul and tow at 80mph and still get me offroad enough.

My tight trail ride fits in the bed easy enough:
post-26032-0-51667800-1361595200.jpg

If it can't haul a bike or two, all of my Scuba equipment, camp equipment, tools, jacks, and 4 adults in comfort (not jeep or rover pain), tow a dual jetski trailer or quad ski trailer converted from a boat trailer, then it doesn't suit me. So it depends on your idea of "expedition".

Sunpilot

Observer
Personally, with those regions identified that you want to go, I'd stay with something domestic.

Everyone loves to tout Toyota's "reliability" but if you've watched Expedition Overland when they went to Alaska and the Yukon, they were sidelined for several days waiting on new lug studs for their Toyota. The local NAPA at the town they were in didn't have them. I bet if they needed lug studs for an F-150 they would have them in stock. Canada has a TON of Fords and Chevys. Fords and Chevys (even the occasional Dodge) are used as farm trucks all over the place. If you were gong to be operating an auto parts store out in the middle of no where that serviced a bunch of farming communities, what parts would you stock in your store?

I realize Fords and Chevys are everywhere. I need something a little smaller than a pickup, which is what I believe you are referring to. I plan to tackle some tight trails and moderate rock, so a shorter wheelbase would work better for me, that's why I listed the vehicles I am considering.

Sunpilot

Observer
The poor mans Toyota 4Runner, 2005+ Nissan Xterra's are not on your list. (Personally I'd get a 2009 up if you can, the bugs were worked out by then.)

They should not draw the premiums Toyota's and Jeeps do, but they are every bit as reliable as a Toyota. Been in production for 10 years so parts are not going anywhere for a long time.

Aftermarket custom parts are much more expensive, but they do exist. Some schools of though recommend overland rigs not be heavily modified anyway.

Tha

Fully boxed frame.
Fits 33" tires with no lifts needed.
OFF ROAD/ PRO-4X trims have factory rear locking diff.
Range is about 300 miles, less under 4x4 conditions. Fuel economy is dismal, expect 16-18mpg once you load it down with off road tires and gear.
Tows 5000lbs.

They have their pluses and minuses, but it's another option. I absolutely love mine. I've wheeled with many of the vehicles on your list, 4Runners, Tacoma's, and Jeeps of various flavors. I've held my own, with no lift or drive train mods.

ScbUmdO7TqAMpjEL-NL-b6mBV70P_oj8s8CZ4xV5FZDC1udhc7d3HcJUGr8fYeYq7o9Ijgfe_TTV_tv9R5Im0KNNfU1OIxtXgV0eDL-iewdcAkBIUOdyWPuCuOvx3PVSIQ3EndrYX2rTgvifBvy0NbwCazrhHNP4X5n_8hIpSxXZMq5agdxe5XXSsXc85pAYp-lyoagyIGqfMDY-ZuRmM6nr3NoV1ysUkyZgLN1kKkbpNLzj0VamTEEg1OPw_F8MJ7vf_s1jT-Zt6or69Dvmh5cGF6FHzhU3MiRtjuQjGhcfjkNcSi_Xq3fxe4deapWk_PJpfxEsj9hvCDXqsTI6RUES1RkNCDlUg_jU3noeEgm-OnLIE3t0afGul26xY7yaCNkw_naQqAiLi7MUqpCZ4g1DcVI-Zxhn2elnQNKuE2qI-WL1v2ZpM10Jf16b9lbtOF_XxlRTKa0IyGn04tKNMcbsyMdUyFUhQ0s9bpHZPwy44ilvKLpFtJDk6Yo3B5wXAQc_HpTxj6Vs6f7qGMcA49-M2z2mRimgIAseQYBEaDgPYtjpqa0zZ7rIg8o6ZkOThXwZ=w1268-h947-no

Thanks for the input. Actually, a guy down the street has one and I have been eyeing it up. I will do some more research on them

94toy22re

Observer
The early GX470 can be had for around 10k, same platform as the fj cruiser/4Runner and known as Toyota Prado overseas just with a Lexus badge. Full time AWD, 23 gallon fuel tank, standard V8, fully boxed frame, 7k tow rating and very comfortable. Since your traveling west your going to want something that will easily travel in the 75-80mph range something to keep in mind when looking at some of the trucks on your list.

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
I've been extremely happy with my FJ performance with the RTT on top. I did have to modify the suspension to deal with brake dive due to the additional weight of bumper, winch, RTT, and other items. It is my daily driver and rides great even with KM2 mud terrain tires. I've had it on tight trails like Black Bear Pass in CO and many slot canyons in the Anza Borrego desert area. Let me know if you want to know more about vehicle.

736A6086edit.jpg
12814151_739008109569164_7860686417214978370_n.jpg

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If you have to go small, It's hard to beat a Jeep Rubicon.

Although for tight trails and 4 wheels, I prefer a dirt cheap beat up Jeep YJ. Pretty trucks and tight trails don't go together.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

I'm not at all defending Toyota, but I think you're being unfair.

They drove those extremely overloaded vehicles 10k miles+ and the only problem was a couple of sheared lug studs. Not bad I say.

Also note the NAPA in Dawson City is a very small shop.
They don't stock all that much for passenger cars, they're more of a place to go when your $500k Cat D10 breaks down which costs you > $1000/hour and you need the parts tomorrow, so they fly them in.

-Dan

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

That's silly reasoning. Go anywhere else in the world with a ford or a Chevy and try to get sheared off lug nuts replaced. You ok run into the same problem. And as stated above me, that's the only issue they had. That's success in my book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior