New Project :- TURBO Time.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Turbo Glide and Superior Turbos both used to sell turbo kits for 637's. They used their own cast manifolds. A friend fitted a Turbo Glide kit about 3 years ago on his crewcab. This involved turning the manifold upside down to fit in the crewcab engine bay..... That allowed the turbo to sit a little further forward. On the single cab you obviously have more room at the rear and the turbo normally sits opposite number 3 cylinder. I've driven plenty of 637s back when they were a current model fitted with Superior Turbos kits..,,... A really really great conversion and was a common upgrade then. Surely they can still provide the cast manifolds at least.

Last edited:

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Had a chance to do a bit more today. Welded some of the manifold and did a trial fit. I have decided that I'm going to under sling the turbo which gives me a lot of room for the exhaust out the back and the air line will run under the alternator to the inter cooler in front of the radiator. The air conditioner lines will need a little readjusting but looking all good.

DSCF3278a.jpg

Dan.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
A little more done, have the manifold finished other than I need to have the mounting surface ground flat. I've ended up with a 1mm warp even though I had it clamped to a solid 25mm (1") steel plate. Was flat till I released it. I even polished the internals.

DSCF3286a.jpg

Dan.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Test fitted the manifold to the engine and mounted the turbo to look at what lines I need to get to run to the intercooler. The intercooler is a wrecker special from a later model 2WD. I've had to remove the aircon condenser from in front of the radiator to fit it in. That's going to be another job.

002a.jpg 006a.jpg

Dan.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Could you not leave the AC condenser in place and run the inter cooler in front of that?

No as there is not enough room because of the gear linkages and the pipes out of the intercooler won't go around the condenser. I need to replace it any way because it has a hole in it.
I could fit a smaller universal one in front of it (Candy's Canter has a small one fitted) but I wanted the largest that I can fit in.

You don't sit still do you, coming along nicely!

Sorry, don't have time this has to be ready in 3 months as well as the Regearing we're doing.

Dan.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
More goodies have arrived. Exhaust and air lines that I have to make to measure.

DSCF3297a.jpg

So still at it, the gears for my regearing are still two weeks away so Turbo install goes ahead.

Dan.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Well I am still at it. All the pipe work is worked out and tack welded together. Had to change a few things from what I thought would fit but that's the way this sort of a project goes.

DSCF3301a.jpg DSCF3303a.jpg

Removed the sump today to fit in the return line from the turbo.

DSCF3317a.jpg DSCF3316a.jpg

Dan.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Finished the welding on the pipes except the tail of the exhaust (still waiting for my exhaust butterfly) and the water and oil lines sorted. All the hoses have their clamps fitted.
AND we had the first test run. Only a short run just to make sure that we don't have any leaks in the water or oil lines. Still waiting for a few pieces so I can finish setting up my gauges.
At this stage I'm having trouble getting an air-con condenser that will fit in but still chasing. May have to look at getting one from a wreck at the scrap yard.

Dan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles