Let's see your Rangers and mods done.

gotme1

Observer
I have a 2001 ranger 4.0 4x4. It has 3" body lift and 33's. I added campershell and some storage. Ranger is still a work in progress as i have a rear tire swingout bumper being built. I have light bar to be installed and probably will be adding roof rack as well. Interested to see everyone's else's set up! Post'em up!
PhotoGrid_1432778781320.jpg
Ranger_danger.jpg20151016_224645.jpg

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
Here's my 2006 B2300 2.3L 2wd. Has 31" ******** Cepek Fun Country tires, pro comp series 51 rims, 4" suspension lift, camper shell with explorer roof rails and some hella lights on the front bumper. Ton of interior mods from explorers etc

Plans
-Roof Basket, Swinging rear tire carrier(from a bronco 2 or jimmy/blazer etc), Locker, 1.5" Lift blocks, 1.5" wheel spacers for the rear(to match the front width added from the spindles). Probably a lot more

thethePete

Explorer
^ Look into an explorer axle swap. It's pretty cheap and damn near bolt up, in fact, you can make it completely bolt up if you want to. Also Explorer leafs. The leafs will net you 2-3" of lift, so you can ditch the blocks to minimize axle wrap, and the Explorer axle is 3" wider, which matches the front without spacers (which are a terrible idea always, but especially offroad). I'm actualy on the opposite side of the fence. I'm pricing out my front lift spindle options to match the explorer axle I just picked up.

The explorer axle is superior because it has 31 spline axles (same as the Mustang and F150, so lockers get cheap; like, way cheap) it's 3" wider, which is good for stability with a lift, it has disk brakes, and it's stronger over all. Plus you can get one for pennies at a scrap yard, and they're pretty easy to find with a factory LSD in them to hold you over until a real locker.

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
^ Look into an explorer axle swap. It's pretty cheap and damn near bolt up, in fact, you can make it completely bolt up if you want to. Also Explorer leafs. The leafs will net you 2-3" of lift, so you can ditch the blocks to minimize axle wrap, and the Explorer axle is 3" wider, which matches the front without spacers (which are a terrible idea always, but especially offroad). I'm actualy on the opposite side of the fence. I'm pricing out my front lift spindle options to match the explorer axle I just picked up.

The explorer axle is superior because it has 31 spline axles (same as the Mustang and F150, so lockers get cheap; like, way cheap) it's 3" wider, which is good for stability with a lift, it has disk brakes, and it's stronger over all. Plus you can get one for pennies at a scrap yard, and they're pretty easy to find with a factory LSD in them to hold you over until a real locker.

Good ideas man, I wasn't aware it was wider then my stock 7.5". How much work is it for the disk swap and isn't there modifying for where the springs sit on the axle? I agree about the spacers but I keep hearing mixed things, obviously I'd prefer less risk. Now about blocks vs the explorer leafs, I already have 2" Longer shackles and a 2" Pro comp add a leaf, won't swapping the new leafs make it ride much harsher then my existing ride even with the aal i already have? Just don't want it riding like a brick

sabconsulting

Probably not relevant to this thread because it is only a Ranger by name and approximate size - An international specification Ford Ranger which I run an old Shadow Cruiser truck camper in Europe. Turbo diesel with manual transmission.

Modifications:

Since it is manual I added a switch so I could disable drive to the front axle in low ration, so I can manoeuvre around in low ratio at tickover, and also use it for steep mountain descents (engine braking).

I have airbags added to the rear axle, though I keep these at the lowest pressure the manual specifies.

Tyres have been changed from the standard ones (P) to BFGoodrich AT/KO (LT).

I removed the folding rear seats which gives a bit of extra room for gear, and built a shelf so that heavy stuff like tools could be separated from light stuff like maps and clothing.

There are a couple of air-horns for warning North African taxi drivers :)

I've kept the suspension height the same and avoided adding extra weight like winches since the truck is biased towards handling the truck camper.

20121007h1.JPG

Steve.

thethePete

Explorer
No. The springs sit under the frame on the Explorer, so the perches are the same width apart. You can use an "axle flip kit" to put the spring perches on top, or just have a new set welded on top. I'm a fabricator, so I just plan on welding my perches on top. They line up perfectly with the existing ones however, so a flip kit will let you do it without welding.

The disk swap is basically no work, just bolt up the axle at the flex line and it's fine. The bias is acceptable when switching from drums, so you don't need to worry about that, but you do need the explorer e-brake cables.

The explorer axle is spring under, so the factory leafs have a bigger arch to them, this is what gives you the lift. Internet lore says the Sport Trac leafs sit a little taller than the regular Explorer ones, but I don't have any hard evidence to support or deny that. If you keep your longer shackles, and throw an add-a-leaf (I would recommend cutting down your Ranger main leaf and using it as the longest AAL you can install), you should gain the amount of height you're looking for without a block. You'll essentially just be adding the 2" of lift the Explorer pack gives you on top of your AAL and shackle.

Spacers add incredible amounts of stress to the wheel studs and bearings, and they need to be retorqued regularly. Especially if you play offroad. They're cheaper and marginally easier than an axle swap, but an axle swap is not out of your territory if you've installed a suspension lift before. Better shocks will help with the ride, but if you're over sprung for the weight you've got back there, the only thing that will fix it is taking out leafs. You could spring for a Deaver pack ($600ish), or build a bastard pack with XJ, Dakota, F150 and Explorers as candidates for leaf donation. I had considered doing a Skyjacker Softride 6" pack, with the Explorer axle left spring under, and lift shackles, which would theoretically put me about 3-4" over stock height, however I don't intend to keep my Ranger for more than another year or two (growing family), so I dropped that idea in favour of keeping it simple. I don't like tall trucks, so the 2" or so that the Explorer leafs will give me is just right, and will let me ditch my factory block. Probably install a set of Timbren bumps to round out the package. FWIW these trucks will take 32" tires without any modifications and not rub anywhere. Lift is largely aesthetic beyond 2-3" IMO.

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
No. The springs sit under the frame on the Explorer, so the perches are the same width apart. You can use an "axle flip kit" to put the spring perches on top, or just have a new set welded on top. I'm a fabricator, so I just plan on welding my perches on top. They line up perfectly with the existing ones however, so a flip kit will let you do it without welding.

The disk swap is basically no work, just bolt up the axle at the flex line and it's fine. The bias is acceptable when switching from drums, so you don't need to worry about that, but you do need the explorer e-brake cables.

The explorer axle is spring under, so the factory leafs have a bigger arch to them, this is what gives you the lift. Internet lore says the Sport Trac leafs sit a little taller than the regular Explorer ones, but I don't have any hard evidence to support or deny that. If you keep your longer shackles, and throw an add-a-leaf (I would recommend cutting down your Ranger main leaf and using it as the longest AAL you can install), you should gain the amount of height you're looking for without a block. You'll essentially just be adding the 2" of lift the Explorer pack gives you on top of your AAL and shackle.

Spacers add incredible amounts of stress to the wheel studs and bearings, and they need to be retorqued regularly. Especially if you play offroad. They're cheaper and marginally easier than an axle swap, but an axle swap is not out of your territory if you've installed a suspension lift before. Better shocks will help with the ride, but if you're over sprung for the weight you've got back there, the only thing that will fix it is taking out leafs. You could spring for a Deaver pack ($600ish), or build a bastard pack with XJ, Dakota, F150 and Explorers as candidates for leaf donation. I had considered doing a Skyjacker Softride 6" pack, with the Explorer axle left spring under, and lift shackles, which would theoretically put me about 3-4" over stock height, however I don't intend to keep my Ranger for more than another year or two (growing family), so I dropped that idea in favour of keeping it simple. I don't like tall trucks, so the 2" or so that the Explorer leafs will give me is just right, and will let me ditch my factory block. Probably install a set of Timbren bumps to round out the package. FWIW these trucks will take 32" tires without any modifications and not rub anywhere. Lift is largely aesthetic beyond 2-3" IMO.

Again thank you sir for the information, I know the leafs had more arch etc just again wasn't aware the axle was wider then my stock, I really like the idea of not running spacers and just the wider axle sounds MUCH safer. So if i use the explorer leafs with my pro comp aal and 2" shackles I should be the height/payload I need, Right now my ranger leafs have started sagging out, the all defiantly helped bring back some arch but with the weight of the camper shell its slowly gone done to the point its basically squatting without any extra load.

thethePete

Explorer
Short answer, yes. Mount the spring perches to the top of the axle, and bolt it up.

The 7.5 is the baby axle. Even my 2wd Edge has the 8.8, but it's 28-spline, and the same width as the 7.5. Again, 31 spline axles and a vast selection of lockers is one of the biggest benefits to the explorer axle.

gotme1

Observer
thethePete - Thanks for the info!

UtraHDGames - nice b2300! I looked at your thread and I'm liking the whole "OHC" from explorer. Might have to do that as well.

thethePete

Explorer
Everything I read says the axle is 3" wider over all, though I see that's for the older trucks, so that may not apply for newer model axles (TRS is showing the 93+ axles as being 2" wider than the older trucks). I'll go down to my truck after supper and measure. I have the Explorer axle sitting in my box and the Ranger 8.8 still under my truck. Might save me a bunch of money if I don't need to do a spindle lift in the front for the track width.

thethePete

Explorer
What's hilarious to me is that I've spent the last few years casually considering this axle swap, and read everywhere that it was 3" wider than the stock axle, but never once heard mentioned that that was only applicable to the pre-92 trucks. Never bothered to measure for myself, and this axle just kinda fell into my lap, but now that I think of it, I measured quickly from the backing plate to the spring perch on both and there was only about 1/2" difference IIRC, that was just real quick as we were ripping the axle out from under the Explorer, so I figured I just didn't read the tape right.... Either way, if it's only 1" wider, that saves me about $1500 on spindle lift and I can just get away with keys and spend the money on better shocks.

thethePete

Explorer
Yep. Just measured. 1" wider than the newer axles. I can't believe I didn't come across that at some point, or if I did, it fell out of my head. I've been contemplating it for some time now. ETA: I had to have read that, but glazed over the part where it gave the year breaks, 'cause I have that very page bookmarked.

Check the width of the F150 axle, maybe, or it looks like the Jeep D30 would bring you a lot closer, and would require about the same level of fab work as an Explorer swap. Oh well, That makes me happy, now I can dump more money into better shocks and possibly a winch.

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
Well that's interesting.. The extra width really got my hopes up. I suppose 1" overall is better then nothing. I still don't need the extra strength of the 31 spline being a 4 cylinder on 31s but reassurance is nice. The extra lift/payload of the leafs are also a bonus as with discs... Guess I'll keep researching!

And the ohc is an amazing/simple mod that i really love

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior