Chihuahua 2016- A trip down to Old Mexico

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Last week we went to a trip down to Old Mexico, I was invited to an off-road event, the state's annual 4x4 reunion; this year the event was held on the city of Delicias, in south central Chihuahua. We left a day earlier so we could visit and spend some time with my wife's relatives who live there. We cross the border without incident, and drove down all the way on a very good4-lane highway and reached the city in about five hours.
The following day, Friday night, we went to the event meeting and to fill and sign up all required paperwork and get ready for the trail runs on Saturday morning.

We met old friends, unfortunately, most of them were signed up for the extreme level and going to a different trail.

Saturday morning we got in line with the stock level run, which was divided in two groups and two trails, we chose to go to the easiest and more scenic one. There was maybe around 200 vehicles, Jeeps, Toyotas, nissans, buggys, etc. but about 80-90% were jeeps.

Pretty soon we were on out of the city and on our way to the trailhead.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
So what rough date should I put on my calendar to remind me for next year....looks like a great event and way to run with locals to learn about future areas to explore.

Thanks for showing us mainland Mexico can be as safe and normal as the USA.

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
I don't know, but I can find out. It changes city every year depending on the host club, I've gone to the ones done in Creel and Cuauthemoc before. They go down there and come back in caravans with the clubs from El Paso, Tx and Juarez, all very nice people and they help each other out. I've always felt very safe down there.

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
We were divided and went with the group we were assigned, headed to the trail and pretty soon were on the banks of the San Pedro river. We waded the river several times and went through some rough spots and some even had to be pulled up a few times.

We saw large numbers of wildlife....ducks...geese...herons...hawks...

There are still real life cowboys out there.

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
We continued on several miles on the river bed with some fun places where we even had to go on 4-low but no major problems at all.
And just like we met some good old friends, we made new ones and even got invited to run some of their trails in the future and others who would like to join us on our future adventures.

We stop for a quick lunch, the trail leaders offered burritos and drinks to all and after a few more miles we went out of the Rio San Pedro.

1leglance

wow, very cool and it would be great to try and join you next year.
Just the coolness of doing what we love with folks from across the border and seeing how alike we all are would be very nice.

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
We continued on through some small towns and fields until we reached the Conchos river.

Then got into this road that followed the Rio Conchos up on the desert side of the river up and down a bunch of hills until we finally went down and began crossing the river itself.

We made another rest stop near the river before climbing up the mountains for the last leg of the trail. Again, we saw lots of herons...or cranes....I can't tell the difference....

Our new friends, both of them medical doctors who will to join us on our Colorado-Rio Grande trip in July.

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
We pressed on and continued the trail up in the sierra for several more miles and got at the gathering/camping area before the rest of the groups who were still doing their trails. They had everything ready for the party and were still cooking diner.

The other trails

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
The camping area was very nice... by this cliff near the river. This is supposed to be one of the best fishing spots below the Rosetilla Dam, which is located about three miles up river from this place. I would like to come back here in the future when it's quieter.

Event sponsors raffled off a bunch of nice prizes amongst participants, including brand new winches....I won an oil change...hehe...

Then the party started....

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
The following day, we declined to run the other trails as there was a very high possibility of body damage, and this jeep "belongs" to my wife.... and I wouldn't want to take any chances...of me sleeping out with the dog..haha..
So we went to a place someone had recommended before, the Colibri (Hummingbird) Canyon, on the Rio Conchos. We were not disappointed, the canyon is gorgeous, and even though it was Sunday, there were only a few fishermen there and a some boats went by on occasion, but the place was very quiet and peaceful. We cooked some steaks, sausagues and a few jalapenos.... and spent a few hours there just relaxing and enjoying the views....I should had brought my fishing poles....

Last edited:

mkitchen

Explorer
Very Nice

Some beautiful country to travel through and I too like the idea of getting to meet up with folks from Mexico. I certainly wouldn't mind getting the chance to follow along.
MK

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Yes MK, although next year is going to be somewhere else, we can go there anytime we want. These areas, the central and southern parts of Chihuahua have always been very safe, even at the peak of the cartel wars, which happened mainly at the border and the sierras; and now it looks like pretty much the whole state is. But yes, definitely is better if you go with the locals, who share our passion for off-roading and the outdoors.

It was too bad we didn't have enough time to ride "The Colibri", a large boat which travels the whole canyon down to the Rosetilla dam and back up to El Delfin, where it's based (about three miles up river from where we were). Maybe the next time....
Maybe I'll organize a trip down there, and include other areas in the future, maybe around September or October.....

Last edited:

1leglance

Well between Mikey and I you have at least 2 rigs ready to roll for anything you lead :)
I am a fluent spanish speaker if that helps!
Plus we are in Arizona and you always need a reason to pick on us western neighbors

Great write up and pics, thanks for putting this is out for everyone to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior