'88 airforce G30 box van build

DesertDiver4

Hi everyone, I have been reading this site for a while, wanted to start a thread to document by g30 build. It's a surplus airforce radio van, with the 6.2l diesel. 23,000 original miles. First thing I'm going to need is new tires I bought a set of 16" rims to make the tires selection better than with the original 16.5s. Anyone have any suggestions on tire size, and the best AT tire for this truck? I'm thinking bfg at ko2 in 235/85/16 right now, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm going to be doing some offroading with it, and eventually will want to put a locker in it, maybe do a 4x4 conversion at some point, but that would be a long way off.
20160328_151610.jpg

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wow, looks like a great configuration for a camper! Are you planning on a 4x4 conversion? I thought most box vans had dual rear wheels but that doesn't look like it does. Interesting!

jkilgore11

Adventurer
You are starting with a great platform, and I can't wait to see your build progress. I don't think you can go wrong with the KO2's. I have them now and feel like they are a definite improvement over the previous proven model. With the potential cargo weight, I would suggest E rated.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Cooper Discover AT IIIs seem to be somewhat popular, of which I have six in E range with about 4K on them. Naturally you are probably in the far north-west tip of Alaska so shipping makes it a no-go, right? :)

I have a 86 g30 mini school bus. I wil be watching this to see how it goes. Would love to do a 4x4 conversion on it. Already have the axles, just not sure how hard it would be to mount the front one.

DesertDiver4

There is a kit for the 4x4 conversation, but it's $2500 and you still need the transmission transfer case and axle, so at this point I think I am going to put a locker in and see how well that works before deciding on the 4x4 conversation. I am also thinking about the Cooper tires, I'm in Tucson, AZ so shipping is fine, but I would prefer to go through discount to get the road hazard, etc. Still not sure on the size, I want to keep it reasonable on road but also something bigger than what is on it.

DesertDiver4

I'm thinking I should have put this thread in the 4wd (and 2WD) Camper Van's section, is there a way to move it, or does a mod need to do that?

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
No Desert it is still a domestic vehicle and there are lots of us that think its a great:Wow1: platform for a conversion. I for 1 would like to welcome you here and am looking forward to seeing what you do to your rig. Can I ask what you payed for that beast? Lets see some more pics and updates. Cheers, Chilli...:)

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I'm thinking I should have put this thread in the 4wd (and 2WD) Camper Van's section, is there a way to move it, or does a mod need to do that?

I would agree. Everything Ford/Chevy/Chrysler etc are "domestic" vehicles, but you have specific goals in mind for yours that would fit better with what goes on over in the section you mentioned. No need to wait on a mod really if you don't want to. Start a thread over there, cut and paste anything of yours from here that you want over there, run with it.

For example....

9244B834-0D67-4885-8BA9-E50516EFFF81_zps4lfyb4qn.jpg
[/IMG]

DesertDiver4

Well that's why I posted it here, and I had overlooked the van section before, want to post the build in the most relevant section. Either way, I'm glad to have found this forum, seems like a good place for information on building a camper like this. Paid 2,000 for it, seemed like a good deal to be, really wanted a diesel, and with the super low mileage, even had a certified letter from the airforce stating that it was the original mileage. Bought the van about 5 years ago, and it's been sitting for a while, part of the reason I'll need new tires first, seems to run good though, just got it emissioned and registered.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Cool ambulance, similar to what I want to do.

I figured, that's why I think the other section is a better spot for you. Lots of stuff like the Ambo going on over there, lots of good ideas to stea....be inspired by, and probably a lot more exposure to the folks in the been there/done that crowd that can toss pointers your way. I believe there are some folks there in the 2wd van lift business that might be able to get you the ground clearance and stance without all the expense of the 4x conversion.

Btw, anything inside the box? Curious what the inside of an Air Force radio van looks like. My Mog (radio box) was full of all kinds of left over, riDICulously heavy, useless crap when I got it.

DesertDiver4

It has a frame under it, it's the 1ton drive train as well. Wouldn't think they would make something this big unibody but I don't know much about them. I'll take some more pictures and show the inside, not much inside of it, and I've started striping a couple things out of it already.

DesertDiver4

I started a new thread in the van section, I can't post links, but I added more pics to that thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior