Is there anything to do in Colorado?

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
Hello all. My wife and I are on our way to Utah and will passing through Colorado via I-70.
My question to yall in the know is, what would you recommend for a day anywhere along that route. We aren't really looking to do some trails but perhaps somewhere with a nice hot spring and great views/food? Hopefully nothing to far off the road, but if it's a must see we can make it happen.
Thanks, our tired bones will appreciate it !

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

colorado matt

Adventurer
hot springs are in Glenwood springs .... cool little town .... just east of that is hanging lake ... just over a mile hike with 1000 ft elevation gain ... not for the weak but worth the effort .... gioing to be more difficult with snow covered trail ... but the trail follows a creek the whole way and it is a treat even if you make it part way .. no name just east of glenwood is has a zip line if it is open .... and driving thru glenwood canyon is quite beautiful in its own right as is debeque canyon further west ..... just west of Denver the buffalo lookout is pretty cool but don't know if they are there to see right now ... and in that same area is Blackhawk if you fell like gambling .... most Trails for your vehicle will likely have to much snow until late june ..... from Denver to grand junction should be driven during the day ... to pretty to drive it at night ..and any of the rest stops in the glenwood canyon are right on the Colorado river and quite relaxing ..... Matt

unkamonkey

Explorer
I've lived here my entire life and I avoid Denver whenever possible. Actually, lots of things around here depending on your schedule and interests. I imagine there are all the normal things in Denver like museums but if you feel like it, head south at the Morrison exit off of I 70 and check out Red Rocks Ampatheater. Rated as one of the best in the nation and in a good place if you are into geology. Glenwood is a good place and you could head to the South from there and experience Aspen in it's excessive glory, or head up to Marble. Perhaps sort of primitive but it is a fun area in the summer. Lots of ways to head West in this state to see several places and some neat towns.
If you are headed to Moab, make sure to take 128 from Cisco to Moab. You may recognize some places from movies. I've been heading to Utah for years, still some new places to see. Still a lot of places in CO to see...

CCH

Adventurer
Just moved back to Grand Junction, and am reminded how much beauty there is just off the highway. I highly recommend checking out Colorado National Monument. I put that on the must see list. Doesn't involve rugged driving, but it is a beautiful place to spend some time. Lots of great hiking trails that are currently accessible, and it and nearby Fruita have become sort of a mecca for mountain biking. Accessibility is a pretty big consideration this time of year in Colorado. The high country has just received a bunch of snow and it's supposed to be snowing more now. You won't get real far off of any highway if you're way up.

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
Thanks for the fast responses. I am headed to Moab so that way via 128 is a go! Gonna avoid the Denver area and head towards Glenwood area I think. We are gonna stop somewhere short of Denver and camp tonight so we can make our way west during the day, camp somewhere in between Denver and Moab and head into Moab on Friday. Grand Junction sounds intriguing as well

CCH

Adventurer
My wife just got in a few minutes ago from Denver. Said the snow was actually worse this side (west of Glenwood), but that is subject to change. It's just sort of an ugly day out. It's supposed to be nicer tomorrow. Glenwood is about an hour and a half from Junction and Junction is about an hour and a half from Moab. "About" is all about where exactly you are going to. ;)

If you end up in Fruita (just past GJ) and want a meal out, Suds has pretty good pub food and beer and is very close to the highway. There is a state park there you could camp at, as well as one before you get to Junction or even Palisade. If you're looking for more scenic camping close to the road, odds are you could get a spot in Colorado National Monument. Great views and it puts you up by the visitor center and hiking. Probably a half hour from I-70, get off in Fruita to go to the campground. Safe travels.

unkamonkey

Explorer
When I drive through Denver I just grin and bear it. So I lived there 19 years? Can't stand to go there anymore. I don't know what you are driving but there is the La Sal loop road East of Moab and heading back is the road to paradox valley from La Sal. You could spend a month just around Moab and not see much of the area. Same about CO and NB.
Pictures are of course required. and where are you driving from?

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
9dc8063c3897bb7b216690d42077d12c.jpg

Driving this from Virginia.
I was looking into the la sal way, u think it would be closed because of weather?

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
My wife just got in a few minutes ago from Denver. Said the snow was actually worse this side (west of Glenwood), but that is subject to change. It's just sort of an ugly day out. It's supposed to be nicer tomorrow. Glenwood is about an hour and a half from Junction and Junction is about an hour and a half from Moab. "About" is all about where exactly you are going to. ;)

If you end up in Fruita (just past GJ) and want a meal out, Suds has pretty good pub food and beer and is very close to the highway. There is a state park there you could camp at, as well as one before you get to Junction or even Palisade. If you're looking for more scenic camping close to the road, odds are you could get a spot in Colorado National Monument. Great views and it puts you up by the visitor center and hiking. Probably a half hour from I-70, get off in Fruita to go to the campground. Safe travels.

I think I will shoot to camp in the Colorado Nat Monument, sounds real nice, as well as the food/beer suggestion. Thank you very much

eaneumann

Adventurer
Skip Utah and stay in Colorado! There's a newer hot spring in Glenwood Springs called Iron Mountain hot springs. And go to the brewery restaurant in town, the brew pub. Colorado National Monument is seriously underrated, cool place. Stopping in Vail is kind of cool too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unkamonkey

Explorer
Hard to say about the weather. I drove my 2WD Volvo on the La Sal road in November one year. Everybody else had their trucks In 4X4.
With a bit more advanced planning, you could just parked in my yard and plugged in for power. Seeing what you are driving could change what I tell you about the roads to take. I shock some people where I get my '61 Jeep to and I won't lead you astray. You can probably do more than you think you can with your vehicle.
What do you want to see. how much do you want to challenge your vehicle? We have never broken much out there, only one axle shaft about 20 years ago. It was just bent.

Last edited:

CCH

Adventurer
Skip Utah and stay in Colorado! There's a newer hot spring in Glenwood Springs called Iron Mountain hot springs. And go to the brewery restaurant in town, the brew pub. Colorado National Monument is seriously underrated, cool place. Stopping in Vail is kind of cool too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is lots to do, but there isn't much off road/forest road driving or camping in the high country this time of year. ;) I'm headed to Moab myself in a couple of weeks for that very reason. The Monument is sort of a hidden gem. Besides the amazing scenery, I finally saw some Desert Bighorns up there last weekend. They've become much more common. Black Ridge Road will get you to the trailhead for Rattlesnake Arches which are very cool, but unless things have changed, I don't think it opens until April 15. There is a much longer hiking trail from the bottom (Pollock Bench Trail to Rattlesnake Arches Trail.) Bring water.

Glenwood is cool as well, especially if you want hot springs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94