found a 88' 2.6l raider

AutoXSS

Adventurer
I've seen this rig sitting at the same auto repair shop for years. Finally called them up and inquired on it. Turns out that it had severe rod knocking, previous owner ran it very low on oil and it gave up the ghost. 120k on it, no rust, all original, sunbleached interior, auto tranny. The owner of the shop purchased it off the previous owner when she got the bad news of the motor. He had plans to swap a motor in it and sell it, but never got around to it. Long story short, he told me to come get it for $400 since no one has ever ask about it until I called.

Doing some internet trolling I found lots of swap ideas, but I would rather not spend too much cash. By too much, I mean $3k+. Any opinions? The tdi swap sounds super juicy. Not really interested in the vortex. I would rather keep the tranny and TC. Could I get her running with a hybrid swap for under a grand? Should I just source another 2.6l, live with a very straight-forward swap, and enjoy it?

Although I have done motor swaps before, I've never done a hybrid swap and this sounds like fun. Maybe too much to bite off with a tdi swap? $400 for this rig sounds too good to pass up!

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
A diesel swap is easier than another 2.6, not as cheap up front though. A less expensive, slightly more involved atraight forward swap is the 2.4 swap. Either engine is heaps more power and enjoyability.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Both of the above options bolt up to your existing setup. The V6's are not that simple into a 4cyl truck (fabrication intensive)

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Oh, sure, a 2.4 swap is possible. You have to add an electric fuel pump, the engine wiring harness and fuel injection relay, which have to be integrated into the existing vehicle's harness, and you have to source a proper oil pan with a rear drop instead of the front drop that it has, which hits the front differential. Then you have to find a/c hoses to adapt the 2.4's a/c compressor to the truck's a/c system, since the compressor is totally different from the 2.6's.

I often wish I had just yanked the leaky 2.6, put it on the engine stand and spent a month carefully going through the little things to make it oil and coolant tight and just dropped it back in. Even with a new Clearwater head and a new Guaranteed Carburetor assembly, it would have cost W-A-Y less than I have in my 86 to this point, and I would at least be able to enjoy the thing, instead of the Frankenstein mess I have on my hands now.

I'll give the engine props, though. It starts right up, runs great and has decent power, but it took Lordtrunks a long time to get the wiring right, both in looks and in function. He even found me the part number for the correct oil pan and oil pickup, but I've never followed up on it since it seems the KM-148 auto we also swapped in has developed a pump problem and will need to be replaced. Basically, the whole powertrain needs to come back out to fix it again.

What was I thinking?

John B.

AutoXSS

Adventurer
Went to look at it this morning. The side I can see from the street was as described, the other side wasn't. The rear door has a rust issue on the lower hinge/ channel area. The interior was nearly perfect.

The front bumper and skid plate was showing rust, probably worse on the back sides. Still seems like a deal though. I agree about just finding a replacement motor, easier and I get to just drive it quicker.

Unfortunately, the owner of the shop said it was a parts truck only. He told me I couldn't ever register it and the title was long gone. I didn't want to argue with him, so I left soon after giving it a quick look over

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne