Rock sliders and side steps. thoughts?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Late 80s I recall seeing some steps that were retracting / spring-powered. They folded up against the pinch weld at rest, you put your foot / weight on them and they swung down. They took a little practice to use to get in, and weren't useful for getting out. But they were a decent solution for the really tall K5 Blazers and Big Fords I saw them on. Can't remember the vendor name, don't know if something like them are still on the market.

The powered / retracting sideboard/steps are really sweet. Their pricing is too rich for me.

CCPAJeeper

Observer
White Knuckle sliders are super strong pieces. My buddy has a set on his PW, they are well engineered. I am a good fabricator, but could not come up with an idea how to build similar mounting and backing plates, to make my own sliders. I do not have the patients to drill 36 holes through 1/2 inch thick steel. I called White Knuckle, explained I don't have the $$ to afford their sliders, but want to build a similar set. They agreed to sell me just their mounting and backing plates, drilled and ready to go.
I was just blown away. That willingness is just awesome. I am going to mount up the 8 sets, four on each rail, and build my sliders out from there. They list all the tubing specs on the site. I will be able to source my square tubing locally, get their plates and build my own with the strength of theirs.
Huge shout out to this builder, he is really helping me out here.

On the rust issue, sand blast the steel, two coats of POR 15. Then just top coat the area of the slider that is exposed to UV. If POR is not exposed, no need to top coat over it. My buddy did POR 15, two coats, then bed liner of the POR. Holding up very good thus far.

Last edited:

Ironhide Fx4

Observer
^that is really cool of them! I emailed them earlier about my F150, unfortunately they do not make one. Maybe ill see if they will sell the brackets and I can make something up. Great idea.

dumprat

Adventurer
I got a Sceaming deal on some Gorhino side bars for my F350. Pretty thin but bolt to the cab with three sets of brackets and not just bolted to the pinch weld. Wouldn't stop a rock but would stop logs from hammering the bottoms of the doors. And my eight year old daughter can now get in and out without help.

Mooneywa

I have right now a set of Ranch Hand side steps and they barely made 2 years without rusting. I believe they are built under license or something from one of the cheapo-nerf bar places. To replace I'm looking at RCI Metalworks. Colorado company and they have some - but I didn't see what year you have. Because they're bolt on I don't know exactly how "slideable" they are. I'm going to call them to ask depending on what I do with my truck. They also make some good skid plates.

Ironhide Fx4

Observer
I have right now a set of Ranch Hand side steps and they barely made 2 years without rusting. I believe they are built under license or something from one of the cheapo-nerf bar places. To replace I'm looking at RCI Metalworks. Colorado company and they have some - but I didn't see what year you have. Because they're bolt on I don't know exactly how "slideable" they are. I'm going to call them to ask depending on what I do with my truck. They also make some good skid plates.

I have a 2012 SCREW Fx4. I have looked at their stuff. They make some great products. Unfortunately most of their skid plates won't work with a lift. I'll take another look at their steps.

SBF351

I was looking for a set of sliders for my 04 F150 for a long time before I had a friend fab up a set for me.
2x2" 1/8" wall construction, wheel well to wheel well, powder coated them wrinkle black.
They were damn heavy but once I hit the bullet and welded them to the frame I could jack the truck up from them no problem plus they were wide enough to use a real step.
I can't stand anything that bolts to the pinch welds - just asking for problems.

I see you in New England also, I can set you up with my fabricator (just south of Boston) and see if he can make you a pair too.

I have pictures somewhere...

Ironhide Fx4

Observer
I was looking for a set of sliders for my 04 F150 for a long time before I had a friend fab up a set for me.
2x2" 1/8" wall construction, wheel well to wheel well, powder coated them wrinkle black.
They were damn heavy but once I hit the bullet and welded them to the frame I could jack the truck up from them no problem plus they were wide enough to use a real step.
I can't stand anything that bolts to the pinch welds - just asking for problems.

I see you in New England also, I can set you up with my fabricator (just south of Boston) and see if he can make you a pair too.

Lets see some pics if you find em. I may have to price out a custom set and see what it comes to. I was about to order the NFab 3 step but holding off for now.

Burb One

Adventurer
Look around, having a custom welded sliders made locally, can be surprisingly cheap.

All said and done, mine were ~$500 bucks (includign materials and all labor) using 2 inch 1/2 square tubing, and I got to tell them exactly what I wanted. (Mine are simple, but a step wouldn't be hard to do). I coated/ spray painted them myself.

Sometimes when I lift one tire up with a highlift, it will lift the entire side of the truck up off the other wheel on the same side. Only other car i've seen that happen is my race car (frame rigidity ******.)

I also have been thinking of putting these on a quick disconnect system, but my truck isn't that tall. Wouldn't be too hard to do, once you have the sliders there. I didn't because my truck isn't that tall, and I really only use it for camping/ towing.

http://www.amazon.com/Bully-BBS-110...UTF8&qid=1459925158&sr=8-4&keywords=side+step

Burb One

Adventurer

+1

Look around, having a custom welded sliders made locally, can be surprisingly cheap, relatively.

All said and done, mine were ~$500 bucks (including materials and all labor) using 2 inch 1/2 square tubing, and I got to tell them exactly what I wanted even measured it out and drew it with them. (Mine are simple, but a step wouldn't be hard to do). I coated/ spray painted them myself.

Sometimes when I lift the truck from the slider on one end to change one tire, it will lift the entire side of the truck up off the other wheel on the same side. Only other car i've seen that happen is my race car (frame rigidity ******.)

I also have been thinking of putting these or something like it on connected with a quick disconnect or latch or something, but my truck isn't that tall. Wouldn't be too hard to do, once you have the sliders there. I didn't because my truck isn't that tall, and I really only use it for camping/ towing.

http://www.amazon.com/Bully-BBS-1101...ords=side+step

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94