Square-back Freighter Canoe ????

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Trying to figure out how to haul a freighter canoe on the camping trailer.......but first, size of what a freighter might be ;

18 to 24 feet long, the beam (width at the top edges) 48" to 60", about 28 inches deep from top of the outer edge (gunnels) to the bottom of the boat floor.

The freighter can be broken down into section and bolted together quickly, in 2 o 3 sections......that takes care of the length of the cargo, but now for the width? Could load on the sides barely keeping in a 7.5 foot print.

These are great boats, they can carry tons and are very efficient, seaworthy and good for rougher water, much better than a jon boat or sharpie style mono hull. They make great campers!

Does anyone have a freighter they haul off road.....rivers or beaches?

Any ideas? Like main hull on the bottom of the trailer floor and a rack above for the other 1 or sections, bow and stern.....the main center hull can be the camper on the trailer.

The boat is probably stronger than most tear drops, but it wouldn't be bolted to the frame.....or I guess it could be too!

Again, Ideas? Has anyone seen anything comparable? :snorkel:

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
" haul a freighter canoe on the camping trailer" "the main center hull can be the camper on the trailer" ?? So which one is it? Are you trying to make one to do both?

Wonderful boats - I'd stick with 48 beam unless you need to haul 2 moose...it would take less power to plane thus more efficient. Pretty narrow to camp in however...The bolt together idea is sound.Moe

Lucky j

Explorer
When you are talking of freighter canoe, you are talking of the generic name or the model type.

We have two at our fishing cabin, never mesure them, but ours are no more than 15 or 16'. But I'm talking or the type.

And yes, I think I could take it of road with the proper rack on a trailer.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Fluffpribceton and Lucky J, sorry I missed your replies;

A "freighter" canoe that I'm talking about is a style, usually over 18' with a wide beam, higher freeboard sides than most canoes with less rocker, with smooth chine and rather flat bottom aft toward the square stern. Like a long narrow dory. They sail, (with leeboards), paddle and motor well, efficiency comes from the long narrow hull, a 10 hp outboard might use 2 gal. of gas all day cruising.

At 20' or under you'll find beams at the 48" mark, 24' they can be 52"+, a big bertha type at 26'+ may have a 5' beam at the widest section, that's too big for me and my intended purpose of running rivers and the coastal waterways and lakes. 8' sections will give us a 24' and sheer with a 48" beam.

The main "cabin" is small, but on shore is only part of the camp trailer as the sides can flip down from the rack in a flip-jack style adding more room, I have an 8x10 floor plan, with the rack empty above we have another platform that folds out to 8x10 with a tent above. Yes it will be rather big, the entrance to the second floor is from the inside, not sure I like ladders.

The issue is that two 8' sections @ 48" would need to be carried like this ^ with the center being about 42" high, put at least 6' headroom below and we're up to 9.5 feet from the trailer floor. While there isn't really a weight issue above, it's just getting high with trees, overhangs and even the drive through. Wind is another issue.

I'd love to have a freighter, but since my initial post, unless there is another way, this is telling me I have the wrong boat in mind. A 14-16" skiff might be more appropriate to haul, but not as nice to cruise! I suppose there is the option of a break down skin on frame canoe, I just don't see them fairing well with a rock or rocky shores in the shallows. No, I'm not going with a $50,000.00 inflatable, LOL

Yes, the bolt together Phil Bolger boats have proven to be acceptable small cruisers. Most require the crew to carry plenty of Fixodent or a football player's mouth piece. (as they pound the water)

There is always a compromise, but a properly rigged freighter can be a good off shore minimal cruiser. Indians were visiting islands way before Chris got here for the Queen. For me, it's the perfect boat.

Advice and suggestions are very well appreciated!
Yes, I like redundancy and for things to serve more than one purpose.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
So you want a canoe with a sail and a flat back for an outboard that is a roof top camper but 16' is too short. You lost me on the main cabin part. Do you want the main cabin upstairs or downstairs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles