Anybody use a Cabela's Pro Angler.........

TwinStick

Explorer
20 amp x 2 charger ??? How would one of these work for 2 deep cycle batteries---one powering an ARB 50 qt & one pwering an ARB 82 qt cooler ? Yes, i know it uses shore power but it would be plugged into an inverter during on the road travel, & shore power or a Honda eu2000i generator while stopped. Any input would be helpfull, thanks.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Honda eu2000i generator while stopped.
I don't think that generator will deliver 20 amps continuously, so might not run the charger to a deeply discharged battery. Check the specs, but that gen is probably rated about 16 amps continuous. Probably right on the edge of being do-able, and might be fine if batteries don't get too low between charges.

Neverleavingmt

I have one mounted in my 5th wheel to charge the battery's more effectively than the shore power of the camper. It works great and they are always on sale.
The condition mode of the charger actually helped revive a deep cycle that had been severely dis charged and left before I got it.
You will be just fine to run it off the generator, I use mine with my Yamaha ef2000i all the time. Heck, dad his a similar set up in his camper and he has run his off his 1k Honda for years. The 110 draw is much less than a guy thinks. I believe cables website states the draw somewhere.

TwinStick

Explorer
I am no electrical expert by any means but i think the charger splits/bumps up the amps internally ? I have had mine plugged in all winter to a 15 amp circuit, that also runs my entire garage, with no issues.

I have one as well. Bought new. $189---on sale for $150---$20 instant off coupon from county fair Cabela's booth---$50 off next purchase---Cabela's points & military/law enforcement discount---ended up costing me like $60-80. I have not used it in the capacity i want yet (charging 2 deep cycle batteries running an 82 qt & a 50 qt ARB fridge/freezers in my truck), but i have used it during the winter to keep 2 batteries in garage fully charged, no issues at all. I am sure 1 Honda eu2000i will power it. It has more amps than the circuit in my garage, which also runs a 4.3 cf fridge, radio, lights---in addition to the charger.

20 amps x 2. You certainly do NOT need a 40 amp circuit to run it. I also have an Odyssey 50 amp triple bank charger & have had it charging 3 batteries at once off the same 15 amp circuit in my garage, no issues.

zelatore

Explorer
You guys are forgetting the output of the charger is at 12v while the input is 120v. So no, you obviously don't need 20 amps input for that little thing!

Let's recall Ohm's law: Volts*Amps=Watts.
(for the moment we'll ignore the efficiency of the charger and just pretend it's 100% efficient)
12V*20A=240W WELL below the output of your 2000w generator or the typical 15A household outlet (120V*15A=1800W for a standard outlet)

But trying to run a charger off an inverter is needlessly complicated and hideously inefficient. You can do it, but it's just wrong. Better to run a standard inverter/charger that will automatically switch to charging when shore power is available. As a plus, they are usually pretty high output chargers as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94