Ford E350

dar395

Adventurer
DSCN1267.JPGDSCN1250.JPGDSCN1252.JPGDSCN1268.JPG

With summer coming to a close we had the van back on the road over the holiday week-end, taking the back roads through the forest we found a beach view of Lake Michigan from the van while camping. Nice spot watching the freighter passing and a bubbling spring feeding the lake, we had the beach mostly to our-selves!

In this travels I found that I must upgrade my forward lighting, taking a forest fire road in the dark of night was a little hairy to say the least. We did find a spot for the night and waited until the morning sun to truly set up camp. The other item that I need to update is the van's stero system I may have went a little to low end during the build. But so far outside of a thing or two the van is working as planned.

Oh and the one photo a little eye candy from a parts yard I spotted along the way!

dar395

Adventurer
We keep looking for easy tricks for making our van a better traveler, not only in comfort but ease of use. In the past week-end trip we were talking to another couple traveling in a pick-up with a cap and bed area set up full time. She had made a bed sheet system that I had never seen before, we came home and the wife made a copy of it for the van.

DSCN1282.JPGHere you can see the bed sheet with back mat,

DSCN1283.JPGNotice the 5" flap on the top of the sheet side, this is used for tucking to hold the sheet and pad in place

DSCN1284.JPG Rolled out it's nothing more than your bed sheet

DSCN1285.JPG Then in the morning it's just roll!

DSCN1286.JPG

and it's stored in place nice and neat ready for the next night! sheet is sewed to the pad and all is washable as one piece.

Just a $2 comfort from a thirft shop and a $1 sheet cut to the bed size with no overlap on the sides nor bottom end, the bed is ready in 2-3 seconds,

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I have and completely enjoy the darkest of roads with the trucklite 5X7 LED headlights, more then enough light in a pretty good pattern.
I picked them because they are DOT legit too.

dar395

Adventurer
I have and completely enjoy the darkest of roads with the trucklite 5X7 LED headlights, more then enough light in a pretty good pattern.
I picked them because they are DOT legit too.

I'll check them out Rob, I know the stock blubs really sucks this past week on the trail.

philos

Explorer
Kind of a lot of work, but I built/hacked together a set of 5x7 rectangular HIDs with a hi/low projector. Not as much money as the LEDs, but certainly more work.

They've been on since last fall-ish. I've been from Lost Angeles to: Reno, Oklahoma, and Montana without complaint/issue. Never been flashed or pulled over.

I also added some cheapo LED "fog" lights from (again!) Amazon. One set tied to my high beams, another on a switch. Everything goes through relays.

I see "ALL THE THINGS!!!" now when I drive at night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gat

In this travels I found that I must upgrade my forward lighting, taking a forest fire road in the dark of night was a little hairy to say the least.

I have a pair of Hella FF50 driving lights mounted in my bumper to help with night driving. We spent some of the long weekend in the UP and the lights made a big difference on back roads as well as running down I75 late into Saturday night.

KHJdEmb.jpg

dar395

Adventurer
I have a pair of Hella FF50 driving lights mounted in my bumper to help with night driving. We spent some of the long weekend in the UP and the lights made a big difference on back roads as well as running down I75 late into Saturday night.

KHJdEmb.jpg

Mat good to see ya got the van on the road, I like the look of your driving lights but there is always a but, I purchased two of the Harbor Freight bike carriers that you told me about and we have used one in the front hitch mount and I'm thinking these lights in that mount area would not work out well as well as if I have my winch mounted or the bike carrier. We're hoping to update our motor bikes for our 2017 travels as the Urbans have been put thru there pace's. I've had DW out on a 225 cc she did well and I think she sold on that size as well. Hope you enjoy the van and travels!

Gat

Mat good to see ya got the van on the road, I like the look of your driving lights but there is always a but, I purchased two of the Harbor Freight bike carriers that you told me about and we have used one in the front hitch mount and I'm thinking these lights in that mount area would not work out well as well as if I have my winch mounted or the bike carrier. We're hoping to update our motor bikes for our 2017 travels as the Urbans have been put thru there pace's. I've had DW out on a 225 cc she did well and I think she sold on that size as well. Hope you enjoy the van and travels!

Hey Dean, Cool that you're using the front hitch for the carrier! If you have any pictures of the bike on the front I'd love to see it as I've been contemplating a front hitch to carry bicycles or a winch (we've found some limitations with a light van and street tires!).

Enjoy your continued travels,

dar395

Adventurer
Hey Dean, Cool that you're using the front hitch for the carrier! If you have any pictures of the bike on the front I'd love to see it as I've been contemplating a front hitch to carry bicycles or a winch (we've found some limitations with a light van and street tires!).

DSCN1287.JPG

The front hitch is a great add-on and I think it was only $66 off e-bay, I too tried the street tires and as I not much for thrill seen my tire guy and ended up with Firestone TransForce A/T 10 ply great both on the highway and fire trails so far just over 3k miles and no regret. I could not find a photo of the two carriers in use but thought maybe our very lite weight bikes looked great with the van! (225cc will be a huge upgrade). enjoy

Gat

Sweet, thanks for the info Dean! I bet the van looks great traveling around with those bikes hanging off it. They would be so convenient for trips away from camp or around town. I would like to use my CT90 to do the same.

dar395

Adventurer
The van has been used for 35 nights this summer, and we're packing up for one last run down 31E through IN & KY this next week bringing the number to 40 for the new build.

Oct 16 Van Trip 111.JPGOct 16 Van Trip 112.JPG

As we have the van for traveling only, she stays packed for the most part and two - five day trips are an easy task. After this last trip for the year as winter is sitting in I'll be unpacking to make a few changes.

dar395

Adventurer
This summer I started to explore the old railroad lines of the past. In Michigan alone there was over 9,000 miles of rails, now only 2,300 miles. It has been an interesting way of taking a trip as the rails were in place well before the auto was widely used.

Oct 16 Van Trip 200.JPG

It has been an education as well a sight seeing adventure.

Oct 16 Van Trip 374.JPGOct 16 Van Trip 393.JPG

As the rails we're closed towns can be found that were forgotten, in many rail stops paved roads never reached them there still found along dirt roads.

dar395

Adventurer
With the E350 Ford long van it has been a great improvement over the GMC standard van, not only has it allowed us to stow our hiking gear within easy reach but the 1 ton handles better on dirt, freeways, two lane and fire roads. I have found the window van seems to be accepted as nothing more than a family vehicle just like a 4 door car when we're in cities and town's. I feel that it is easier to park in parking lots for the night as well, seems as no one even looks at us anymore. In the panel Van we always were approached and two times asked to leave. The windows have been a welcome add-on for stealth camping stays and a truly welcome add-on for rain days, remove the window covers and a view of the world around us!

Oct 16 Van Trip 367.JPG

Oct 16 Van Trip 271.JPG

I have found the added gas mileage (14.3 avg) and lower overall cost has been a good choice for longer and quicker trips in our case, the Ford 5.4L with the Dana 60 axle is a great choice for highway speeds as well as a capable choice for fire roads. I could use 4wd but overall 2wd works for our travels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior