What Size ARB Snatch Strap should I Get?

chet6.7

Explorer
I have a 2500n Ram,it weighs 8K empty,it will probably be 9/9.5K loaded.
When I read about snatch straps on ARB's site,they say the strap should be rated for 2 to 3 times the vehicles weight.They also say a wet strap could lose 20% of it rating,and mud can weaken the strap as well.
I live in the PNW so a wet/muddy strap is probable.
I have no problem getting the 33K strap,but,when I look at Rigid's Tow Strap Shackle Mount for 2 1/2 inch Receivers I wonder how a 4 1/3 inch strap will fare a shackle of that size. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SI3X7ZG/ref=twister_B00WILCGTC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Can I get by with a smaller strap and a 2 inch receiver shackle?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S6TI0MM/ref=twister_B00WILCGTC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Will a 2 inch receiver shackle in a 2 1/2 to 2 inch reducer be as strong as a 2 1/2 inch receiver shackle in a 2 1/2 inch receiver hitch?

ARB's strap ratings and sizes,
2-3/8" x 30' Recovery Strap - 17500 lbs Capacity

3-1/4" x 30' Recovery Strap - 24000 lbs Capacity

4-1/3" x 30' Recovery Strap - 33000 lbs Capacity

Thanks.

LR Max

Local Oaf
3 1/4" x 30ft

Plenty of strength and plenty of length. The length if a bigger factor, IMO. Allows the recovering vehicle to be far enough away from the obstacle. If its too long, you can easily cut the length in half.

Check Southeast Overland. I think they are running a sale on ARB recovery equipment right now.

amo292

Adventurer
I have no problem getting the 33K strap,but,when I look at Rigid's Tow Strap Shackle Mount for 2 1/2 inch Receivers I wonder how a 4 1/3 inch strap will fare a shackle of that size. .[/SIZE]

I am having trouble understanding your question. Are you wondering if the strap will fit on the shackle?
To answer your second question, anytime you add complexity to a system the strength goes down. Would the reducer work? Yes. Will it be as strong as the properly fitting system? No.

I have the 2" receiver from rigid and the 17500 ARB Strap. It is a great setup for me. I would assume upping the sizes with your truck would result in a perfectly good system for you. I have a 2008 Tundra that weighs about 7k max when traveling.

It is also important to take into account the vehicle extracting you or that you are extracting with this system. If you get a 33k strap and try to extract something like a jeep using the kinetic method, the jeep will be destroyed. The straps are designed to stretch based on weights. A heavy vehicle pulling a light one like your truck on a jeep. there will be no stretch resulting in shock to both vehicles. The forces do not transfer well. Not good. If you have another big heavy vehicle extracting you then you would be fine. Hope this helps.

chet6.7

Explorer
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by chet6.7

I have no problem getting the 33K strap,but,when I look at Rigid's Tow Strap Shackle Mount for 2 1/2 inch Receivers I wonder how a 4 1/3 inch strap will fare a shackle of that size. .[/SIZE]

It looks like I left out the word in, I wonder how a 4 1/3 inch strap will fare in a shackle of that size.

I am having trouble understanding your question. Are you wondering if the strap will fit on the shackle?

I decided to go try products that I haven't used before,I ordered an ASR 1 1/4 30ft recovery rope and two Bubba soft shackles.
I thank you both for the replies.

Last edited:

Kerensky97

Xterra101
3 1/4" x 30ft

Plenty of strength and plenty of length. The length if a bigger factor, IMO. Allows the recovering vehicle to be far enough away from the obstacle. If its too long, you can easily cut the length in half.
Seconded.
One thing to keep in mind with super strength straps is how it's used like amo292 said.
I've seen people really abuse high strength straps and demolish the front end of a vehicle. When applying a 33000lb yank to a vehicle other components become the "weakest links" in the equation. If you're in a situation where the full 33k lbs of yank is needed there are probably other things that need to be done to help extract the vehicle.

https://youtu.be/HJA3J--g_yI?t=1m55s

chet6.7

Explorer
I understand how to do it.
Back in the 70's I used a big cable with a hook,never pulled an axle off or snapped a cable.
There is better, safer, equipment these days,I will probably never use this stuff,but want it in case I need it. My most likely use will be a tire in a ditch because I had to avoid a jerk going to fast on my side of a narrow road. There is no shortage of idiots.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier