Fridge in truck toolbox

Scoutman

Explorer
The intake vents came in today. I've looked at lots of vents and eventually purchased both of these since I was undecided between the 2. I wanted something with some weather protection while allowing max air flow with an approx 4" hole. It also needed to be flush mounted so things sliding around the truck bed didn't damage it.

IMG_20160617_132443565-1280x720.jpg

Dean723s

How'd you go with dust getting in there and damaging the fridge? I'm looking for a similar vent with maybe a 12V computer style fan to extract air in/out to ensure the fridge is as efficient as possible in a metal hot box.

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoutman

Explorer
How'd you go with dust getting in there and damaging the fridge? I'm looking for a similar vent with maybe a 12V computer style fan to extract air in/out to ensure the fridge is as efficient as possible in a metal hot box.

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the vents I decided on did not have filters to keep out the dust. I felt like filters would have been too restrictive on the flow of air. The vents I choose were a compromise of size, restriction, price, and ability to return the box to normal should this whole idea be a complete bust.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, powered fans and restrictions can sometimes hurt more than help. The way I see it is that sure some dust will get in there but it will definitely be better than running it strapped down in an open truck bed. For security, keeping it clean, and to keep bed space (at the sacrifice of box space, thats the tradeoff I'm making)

Here is where I'm at as of last night. I drilled the intake hole and dry fit the vent in with stainless flat head screws and nuts.

IMG_20160712_202034201-1280x720.jpg

Scoutman

Explorer
The intake vents came in today. I've looked at lots of vents and eventually purchased both of these since I was undecided between the 2. I wanted something with some weather protection while allowing max air flow with an approx 4" hole. It also needed to be flush mounted so things sliding around the truck bed didn't damage it.

View attachment 350664

I ended up choosing the one on the right cause it had the least restriction. It was hard to tell looking at them online.

Scoutman

Explorer
Over the past few days I've been running a temp probe inside the box to get some idea as to how hot it gets and whether it's any worse than having one inside the cab of a truck/suv sitting in the sun. So far the answer is no, it's no worse and is actually cooler being in the box. Even though the truck box is black, it does have foam insulation in the double walled lid and I have surrounded the fridge with 1" foam on the top and aft wall of the box. The temperature outside is 91, mostly sunny. The temp in the cab is 130 measured by a probe in my dash air vent. The temp in the box is 113 measured at the control panel. I know it's not very scientific but it did give me an idea for comparison's sake. I have no numbers to compare pre-vents (intake and exhaust) but I have to imagine it would be warmer.

Scoutman

Explorer
This past weekend I kicked it down to 10* to store some Popsicles and ice cream bars for our Cub Scouts fishing trip. It worked great and the kids were excited to have such a treat after a hot morning of fishing. :sombrero:

One of my next tasks is to get the power cord cut and put a connector in the front wall of the bed. I want to be able to disconnect power and remove the box if needed. Right now it's run straight to the battery with no breaks but that makes it very difficult if I need to take the box out. I'm working on a bed rack for a RTT and I'm constantly taking the box in and out to fit the bed rails in place.

So, if anyone has any good suggestions for a clean 2 or 3 conductor plug and socket that will accept 10 ga wire I'm all ears (or eyes). The plugs I find that I like don't accept that size of wire or are big or expensive.

Scoutman

Explorer
After doing a lot of looking at different styles of plugs and receptacles I decided to go with a trolling motor plug set from Marinco. It's rated to 40A, and will accommodate up to 10 or 8 ga wire. There's adapters available if you need to go to 6 ga. I selected the 2 prong version and it has a twist lock action to it so it should stay connected.

Scoutman

Explorer
Those Marinco ConnectPro connectors are pricey - but you may have hit upon a winner. I like the twist lock on the connection.

I already have a few 50 Amp Anderson power connectors - and - will give them a try with #10 gauge wiring - but will go the Marinco, if I feel they pull apart too easily.

https://powerwerx.com/anderson-sb-connectors-sb50-50amp

I went to Cabellas (across the street from my office) and laid hands on one of these Marinco connectors before I ordered it. They seem very robust and with the twist lock I feel certain that I won't have any issues with it coming disconnected. Now I just have to figure out where I want to drill the hole.

Scoutman

Explorer
Been working on a bed rack lately for our soon coming CVT RTT. I had the toolbox in and out a number of times fitting rails in place so I recently got a chance to finish some stuff on the box.

I pulled the front vent off and sealed up the mating surfaces with some foam gasket.
IMG_20160820_104204325 (Large).jpg IMG_20160820_104440021 (Large).jpg

Then drilled more holes to mount up the rear vent (exhaust side) with gasket and similar hardware.
IMG_20160819_192049429 (Large).jpg IMG_20160821_120234905 (Large).jpg

Also cut the cord ~18" long and installed the Marinco 2 prong trolling motor plug.
IMG_20160819_180710081 (Large).jpg IMG_20160820_105014624 (Large).jpg

I found out that after 10 years of use the lid gaskets were in pretty sad shape so I scrapped those off and have been gluing new ones in.

Scoutman

Explorer
These probably aren't terribly exciting but posting anyway. Here's the Marinco socket mounted in the bed.

IMG_20160822_094735480 (Large).jpg IMG_20160821_120324363 (Large).jpg

Scoutman

Explorer
Added an LED light strip with switch to the forward lip of the toolbox. I mounted the push button switch pod on top of the electrical box and wired it in through the same grommet hole. It's completely tucked out of the way and gives off enough light to see what I'm grabbing.

IMG_20160907_071205461_HDR (Large).jpg IMG_20160905_194240983 (Large).jpg IMG_20160905_194323875 (Large).jpg

michael_l

Observer
Just an idea, but if you mounted the LED strip higher up on the lid it would elevate it and maybe provide better illumination of the entire tool box / bed area.

Scoutman

Explorer
Just an idea, but if you mounted the LED strip higher up on the lid it would elevate it and maybe provide better illumination of the entire tool box / bed area.

I thought about that but really it came down to a few things. I wanted to keep them tucked and out of the way with no cords jumping to the lid and having to manage. Also with the lid vertical it would have put the light pointing straight to the rear of the truck missing most of the contents of the box and casting a shadow over the bed area. I'm planning some led rock light pucks on the bottom of the bed rack bars to light up the bed area anyway.

It lights up the contents of the box better than the pictures portray.

Scoutman

Explorer
While at OXW-17 we were staying in a booth next to the Dometic guys so I got the chance to go talk to them a bit. In the end they gave me a great deal on an insulated fridge cover.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94