100 vs 200

jhawk

Adventurer
I've had my 04 for a few months and outside of tires and removing things I've made no mods. Every time I get ready to pull the trigger on a few big ticket items, I think maybe I should move up to a 200 and spend the money on it.

I have been in 80's and 100's but never a 200, hell I think I've only seen two in person. I would love for you guys with experience with both the 100 and 200 to chime in on comparing the two.

Thanks,
Jim

Ridge Runner

Delta V
Nice, Kurt. I missed that post, somehow.

I really like the interior of the new LX570s. Pity that Lexus has gone to that fugly corporate front end.

zimm

Expedition Leader
i just took an new lx570 out a couple week ago. its nice for sure, but i think they crossed from a large medium sized suv to a large suv. its too much truck for me to be bothered with. it feels heavy and disconnected from the driver.

oddly, on a related note, we picked up shezimm a gx460. i'd say it felt about the size and heft of the 100. its no fj40 but i liked it. i feel could swing that thru east coast tree overhung washouts, like my 100, whereas the 570 would take too much line concentration.

there seems to be tons of support for the 100 these days. if you want to luxury wheel, upgrades are all figured out, and its all you need. even tho im migrating back to a 60 for something more versatile and "connected", i have my card at the local lexus dealers in case some grandma trades in a super low mile 100. on the back i put "03 up, all options, zero rust, 75k or lower, just call and set it aside".

Rezarf <><

Explorer
If $$$ isn't an issue, beat the rush and buy a 200 early. Budget kept me in a 100 that's it. The 200 will be the next "best" Land Cruiser once they make their way into us poor fellas hands! :bike_rider:

Jwestpro

Explorer
i just took an new lx570 out a couple week ago. its nice for sure, but i think they crossed from a large medium sized suv to a large suv.

Except it's the same size for several years now...

Furthermore, I had an 06 LC and I'd say the new 200 and 570' don't seem any bigger inside, but they just look bigger outside due to the body panel shaping.

The wheelbase has been the same since early 2000's hasn't it? Cargo capacity is pretty much the same too.

I do understand what you may be "feeling" but I don't think it's actually much larger by measurements.

Anyway, I really liked my 2006 LC100 and often wish I'd kept it. I didn't much at all about 4x4 vehicles back then except it was well built. The functionality of the cargo space in the LR3 is what swayed me back into Land Rover but that's another long story for another thread.

Zimm, why do you say "2003 up" ? What changed that year? I recall there being something that did change but can't remember the main points. I may be looking for one to put my mom in sometime in the next year or so. I'd like her to have everything my 2006 had like the touch nav but otheriwse I'm guessing they're pretty much the same back to 2003 if fairly "loaded" as Toyota is not one to list out too many little options to keep track of when searching.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
I've had my 04 for a few months and outside of tires and removing things I've made no mods. Every time I get ready to pull the trigger on a few big ticket items,....

If one of the items is to lift it, I thought the LC100 was either a little limited or just not as good when lifted as compared to the LC 200 due to the design/use of torsion bars instead in the 100. I know there are "lifts" for it, but I have it in my mind the 200 lifts better or is more capable when lifted due to it's different suspension structure up front.

The engine is more of a nice thing to have, but off road what's the difference when going slow in low range.

I feel like the 200 wheel arches are a little bigger or allow a slightly larger tire for the same degree of alterations than on the 100.

I have read the 200 is simply built more stoutly and it feels like it and looks like it if you crawl around underneath. So, if you're going to be always wishing for the 200, then maybe at least no $ dumping into it for now makes sense. Besides, like you said, removing 3rd row seats and good tires can go a long way to just enjoying what it is as it was designed.

Benc

Explorer
I just test drove both the lx570 and a land cruiser 200 and was surprised how small they felt! It felt smaller driving it than my 100 series, I checked the specs when I got home and the 200 is only about 1" wider overall, 2" longer, same wheelbase and 600lbs heavier than the 100 series.
I love my 100 series but the suspension and 5.7 in the 200 are a huge improvement.
I just sold my fully built 100 to purchase a 200 for r&d for bumpers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p nut

butter
I like the looks of the 100 better, but if I were to get another LC, it would be the 200 for sure. (But I wouldn't be unhappy with a 100 either.)

purdytj

seeker
I'm also wondering about this comparison. My current Chevy diesel crew cab is worth about $32,000 so that is my budget. I found a 2005 LX470 with 65k, a 2006 100 series Land Cruser with about 65k, and a 2009 LX570 with 109k all in that price range.

It will be a daily driver for wife and 3 daughters during the week and needs to tow our 5000 lb travel trailer around the state of Washington and Oregon on long weekends.

What say y'all? Sounds like the 5.7 if the 200 series would be ideal for towing, but I'm not stoked about spending $30k on something with more than 100k miles.

RoyJ

Adventurer
My current Chevy diesel crew cab is worth about $32,000 so that is my budget. I found a 2005 LX470 with 65k, a 2006 100 series Land Cruser with about 65k, and a 2009 LX570 with 109k all in that price range.

That can't right!?

Got my 05 LX with 85k for $15,500 Cdn 4 months ago. Ever thought about buying in Canada with our current weak dollar?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior