Help Programming my FT-8800

murphy744

Adventurer
I'm looking for some assistance/advise on how to program my FT-8800. I have used CHIRP in the past, but am now considering using G4HFQ's software; which I have played with a bit. I get the whole left side vs right side thing, but when it comes to setting up the Hyper Memories and Banks, I'm not sure how best to utilize them.

I'd like to set up the left side with VHF, and the right for UHF. I also like to quickly access/scan my favorite local repeaters, public service, Simplex Freq's, WX, FRS/GMRS.

Any assistance an/or advise would be greatly appriciated:sombrero:

texascrane

Adventurer
I don't have any experience with G4HFQ, but I like the RT systems software. $38 with cable from HRO. CHIRP is fine for baofeng HTs but it's not my choice for more complicated radios like the 8800.

You can do what you want several ways - here are a couple of options. Put all of your channels in both the left and right side memories. Then set hypermemory 1 as having access to all memory banks (this should be the default behavior). Then you can either set the UHV/VHF channels to skip for HM2 or you can assign them to different memory banks and in HM2 give the left side access to bank 1 and the right side access to bank 2.

What this does is give you HM1 where both sides of the radio can access everything. Then when you switch to HM2, if you used the skip setting, each side will only scan VHF/UHF depending on what you set but you can still call up the "out-of-band" freq in memory directly using the keypad if you want. If you used the memory banks, then the "out-of-band" frequencies aren't accessible at all via the memory.

It's a bit overwhelming at first because there are so many options, but the system is very flexible.

brentbba

Explorer
Like others have said, my right and left side are programmed the same. I use RT Systems (Yaesu) programming software and it's pretty easy to understand. I generally keep my left side on 146.520 and my right side on the local repeaters stored by memory bank. I use the 10 memory banks to break down the repeaters by county here in SoCal. Orange County, Los Angles County, etc. I've combined some of my lesser traveled central CA county repeaters on one bank. I use another bank to store all the repeaters along the freeways between home and Moab! My Elmer keeps one bank free and uses the AARL CD to plot his many trips and downloads repeaters along his route to one bank.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
As others my left and right are the same.

I have one of my Hyper Memories set with 146.52 on the left and the local repeater I use on the right. I have another HM scanning memories on the left and local repeater I use on the right. I have another HM with a UHF simplex freq on the left and the local repeater I use on the right, this is for cross band repeat.

I am only using half of the Hyper Memories as I don't require that many stored scenarios.

murphy744

Adventurer
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions guys. I think, I need to just load some freq's and play with it, to fully understand what it can do for me. I'm probably going to go with left and right side being the same, then Hyper some faves, and see how I like it.

fogo

I've also got both sides of my 8800 identical, as it makes it easier to keep track of where things are. I seriously doubt I'll ever have a need to have each memory on both sides be unique. I've been using CHIRP and a $6 cable from eBay, and it's been working great so far.

In my case, I've been organizing the memories using "banks" (or groups) - not the actual memory banks on the radio though. These are basically little clusters of related stations. As the 8800 doesn't require you to have the memories be continuous, I start the different groups on numbers that are easy to remember. The main set of repeaters and frequencies I use are from memories 1-17. Then, starting at memory slot #20, are the repeaters that belong to the Intermountain Intertie system, which covers most of Utah and Idaho. Slots 40-45 are a different repeater system, and 50-57 are the various NOAA weather stations. And so on… Basically each group starts on a multiple of 10.

I've also got the actual memory banks setup, but I've just found that it's easier to not have to switch into the memory bank mode, and just leave it in memory mode. This way I can just use the keypad to jump to the starting point for the group I want to use.

I've got the hyper memory buttons setup for a couple of different scanning scenarios, and I bounce between then often. One will scan all of my memories. Another scans a smaller set of preferred memories, just the top 10 or so I use. I've also got one setup to jump directly to the weather bank for a quick check. In the cases where I'm scanning, I've almost always got once side of the radio locked to either 146.52, or one of the more popular repeaters here in town.

Best advice I can give though, is to just play with it. Start using it, and eventually you'll find a system & setup that works for you.

murphy744

Adventurer
Well, I got her programmed, and after playing with it, it's starting to make sense. Thanks for the help.

Another question....we routinely travel into Death Valley, Panamint Valley, Saline, and the Inyo's. Most times we can hit Mazouka Peak or Bishop. I hate tying up the repeater with chatter as we travel, or trying to link up in the dark after a drive from LA.

Are you guys using the CA simplex channels for routine traffic?

brentbba

Explorer
Outside of the national simplex 146.520, a lot of the off road community (started with the NorCal Landcruiser group from what I know) have 'adopted' 146.460 as the frequency of 'choice'.

Help me organize

I’ve got some follow up questions to ask you guys.

I’m a new ham, just got my license and bought an FT8800 as my first radio. I’ve also got the RT programing software and cable, and a copy of the ARRL Repeater Directory.

I’m retired, and plan to travel the country, mostly the West, in an F250 4x4 that will be both a backcountry exploration rig and the tow vehicle for a small trailer that I will be living in full time and using as a base camp.

I need to figure out how to organize multiple states in the radio. Should I try to load as many repeaters as possible in the 512 memory spots, organized by, what? State and then county, maybe? Keep a notebook listing of which banks are which?

Should I put all the repeaters on the computer, and only transfer each state into the radio as I move around?

Is there a third option I haven’t thought of?

Is there a better, more up-to-date source of info than the ARRL Directory? I’ve found both the Artsci.pub.com and the Repeaterbook.com sites. I like the fact that the Artsci.pub book has state maps, wish the ARRL Directory did. Which do you guys prefer?

Do all I need are the Repeater frequencies, or would some of the fire and other public safety frequencies be useful to monitor as well?

How would you old hands organize this? Thanks.

texascrane

Adventurer
Check out rfinder.net as well. $10 per year. I think it's probably the most up to date although I'm sure it varies by area.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I'm looking for some assistance/advise on how to program my FT-8800. I have used CHIRP in the past, but am now considering using G4HFQ's software...
Firm believer in the G4HFQ software. Great guy to work with and simple user friendly software. The only thing that I use for my Yaesu mobiles.
I use Jim Mitchell KCUNJ Commander software for my portables.
They just play well together. Copy/paste and importing are easy.
If you scan lots set up both sides with your go to frequencies. If it gets stopped on one side there is a chance the other will catch missed traffic.

Many emergency frequencies are the same in different areas USP and ISP use some same frequencies so I catch them while traveling in Utah and Idaho :)
Not lots of UHF traffic around there. Wide open spaces and VHF. I use mine mostly VHF. UHF to crossband repeat is probably the most that I use UHF.

Last edited:

brentbba

Explorer
If you've got your laptop with you on the trip, do what my Elmer does that I mentioned above. Plot your intended route for a week or so using the AARL software and download that into a bank in the radio. I have no experience with the AARL CD or how up to date it may be with repeaters, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles