4wd Astro "Patches"

zerskier

Observer
My names Bill and I have been lurking around here for about four years, learning and stealing other members ideas and figured it was time to post up my interpretation of a camper van. I have never done a build thread so bear with me on this one.. Im on a pretty fixed income so this is definitely a budget build. Patches is a 2003 astro I picked up last fall cheap due to a crushed sliding door, C pillar pushed in, and a bent up rear window opening. I will be doing a small lift, np233c, Arb awning, small other mods to suit my needs on a extended camping trip this summer. The day I got it home

Attachments

• 20151103_112825[1].jpg
    20151103_112825[1].jpg
    549.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 20151103_112931[1].jpg
    20151103_112931[1].jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 78

zerskier

Observer
First step was some maintenance. 120,000 miles I figured a fuel pump and filter were due. Since I don't want to deal with a pump failure to soon I bought a Delco pump and stepped up and bought the pump for the robust/E85 fuel system, figured it would be more tolerant to the ethanol In todays gas better. I also cut a access hole in the floor so when the pump fails at the most inopportune time I can swap in a new pump quickly..

Attachments

• 20160310_150645[1].jpg
    20160310_150645[1].jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 20160311_102640[1].jpg
    20160311_102640[1].jpg
    546.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 20160312_111132[1].jpg
    20160312_111132[1].jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 72

zerskier

Observer
On to the lift, the van came with helper spings in the rear so I just needed to lift the front. I used some 3" aluminum round stock cut to 2" pieces and drilled bolt holes in the center to make the front subframe spacers.. I reused factory parking brake cable bracket, just drilled new hole to avoid the subframe
IMG_3533.jpg
the front bumper is relocated using a piece of 1.25x.375" steel flat stock, I plan on buying new bumper brackets but these will do for now
IMG_3547.jpg
while I was down there I replaced the fuel filter, this doesn't sound like much but in Wisconsin replacing a gm fuel filter can be a process with the rust.. To my amazement both ends of the original fuel filter unthreaded and didn't twist the ends off the lines
IMG_3535.jpg
new stance, also tore all the body cladding off
IMG_3551.jpg

zerskier

Observer
awd out in with 4wd, bought a junkyard np233c from a 2002 s-10 blazer. I replaced the output seals and extension housing bushing before install
IMG_3537.jpg
The transfer case came with the decoder, but I like simple so researched manual shift conversions for quite awhile. A push pull cable seemed the most popular but I wanted even simpler so I did this
20160328_163135[1].jpg IMG_3532.jpg
2wd hi range
IMG_3541.jpg
4wd hi range
IMG_3540.jpg
4wd lo range
IMG_3539.jpg
to address the transmission not receiving the correct VSS in lo range I pushed a pin into the ecm connector 2 pin 16.
20160404_163833[1].jpg
To apply ground to the ecm pin I used a simple toggle switch. I had removed the rear heat so I gutted the rear heat fan switch and put a toggle in its place.. I used a protected switch so It wouldn't get accidently armed
IMG_3544.jpg

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Ive done the simple shifter such as that on several diffrent jobs..sometimes it will bind so if it wont shift in or out for you put the vehicle in neutral and shut off the ignition to remove the rotating tension (it will still spin a little in neutral and can risk damage..)

If I didnt have 5 kiddos I would do an astro!!! love how these turn out!!!

zerskier

Observer
the snow and cold slowed my progress, but I did get a transmission cooler installed. Its a Tru-Cool 4590 plate style cooler, plumbed inline to the existing cooler in the radiator.
20160311_121548[1].jpg 20160311_121558[1].jpg
some split loom to protect hoses
20160311_122045[1].jpg

tequilasunset

Adventurer
First step was some maintenance. 120,000 miles I figured a fuel pump and filter were due. Since I don't want to deal with a pump failure to soon I bought a Delco pump and stepped up and bought the pump for the robust/E85 fuel system, figured it would be more tolerant to the ethanol In todays gas better. I also cut a access hole in the floor so when the pump fails at the most inopportune time I can swap in a new pump quickly..

I assume you had the added extra plate for crash protection covering the fuel pump location... what did you use to cut it away, and how much clearance did you have between it and the fuel tank? I am about to do my 2005 so all the info will help... :)

zerskier

Observer
I cut the access hole with a 4.5" cutoff wheel, probably a little risky when your sitting on top of 20 gallons of gas. I first drilled a hole to get a idea where the pump was, sniffed for fuel and started cutting. the center of the pump is 24.5" from the drivers side wall, and 8" forward of the front edge of the wheel wells. I just used the new pump to eyeball how big a hole I needed. I would say there's a inch of room between the pump and floor, just enough room to get fuel lines off without cutting fingers to bad.

zerskier

Observer
did a quick seat mod to make it easier to get from drivers seat to back of van and vice versa.
IMG_3570.jpg
moved the seat back 2" on the seat tracks by welded some tabs to the front of the seat and drilling the rear mounting holes 2" forward of the factory holes.

front
IMG_3581.jpg
rear
rearseatmount.jpg

zerskier

Observer
So this happened today
IMG_3597.jpg
I really had been avoiding this job, not only did I not want to cut a hole in my roof, I just don't like the way roof vents look.. But im sure I will be happy I did it on a warm summer night.. I cut the hole with a 4.5" cutoff wheel, I would recommend a different method as it put some heat into the paint along the cut.
IMG_3602.jpg IMG_3604.jpg
I will have to wait till its warm out to prime the bare steel, screw vent in, and seal it up. I also installed my roof rack tracks, they are 79" rhino rack tracks. I went with these tracks because my garage door is only 7' tall so the rack will need to be easily removed when the van needs to get in the garage for service, its a chevy so you know it will need service..
IMG_3590.jpg IMG_3568.jpg

jdreier

Observer
Looking good man. Good to know a fantastic fan fits on that flat square part on the back of the astro. I'd been thinking about putting one in that spot as well.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Van is looking good and it does seem like that roof panel is meant for a fan. If you have a van with rear a/c then the ducting is in the way if you mount it that far rearward.

zerskier

Observer
Van is looking good and it does seem like that roof panel is meant for a fan. If you have a van with rear a/c then the ducting is in the way if you mount it that far rearward.
First off Stroverlander your build is one of my go to references, so good.. My plan is to leave out that small rear section of headliner and make or modify the a/c duct. I decided to mount vent as far back as I could so I could cut the least roof braces and mount roof rack cross bar in front of vent. If it doesn't work out I guess ill be patching a big hole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94