Igor's 2002 Montero gen 3 build

Schitzangiggles

King of Macastan
I just got that same snorkel kit. I have been putting off the install because I didn't get any instructions in mine, just a template.

Igorskiy86

Observer
I just got that same snorkel kit. I have been putting off the install because I didn't get any instructions in mine, just a template.

I got instructions with mine, but honestly they are a joke. The main thing to keep in mind is your air box has to be moved back towards firewall about an inch, and you will use the long bracket with 4 holes in it and small bracket with 2 holes for that, my did not come with hardware for the brackets. After you get the snorkel bolted to the fender and angled to your liking, use the angle bracket to secure it to the a pillar with rivets provided or some sheet metal screws, you should see where it lines up with the 2 holes on a snorkel. Some trimming will probably need to be done, and lots of test fitting. The piece that looks like a circle with a hole in a middle and a bar attached to it with 2 more holes, I believe you use that to center it in a front inner fender hole as a guide. I tried that, and it did not work too well, but I used the circle that was cut off out of my fender and screwed it in with 4 long sheet metal screws to keep secure while cutting the hole. Good luck.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Can you post some pics of the engine compartment and airbox? I would like to see how the snorkel connects under the hood.
Thank you,

Monstero

Adventurer
Thats a fair price for the front and rear axles. I got mine off ebay for 675 for them from a wrecker. If you were looking 10 years ago like I was, you would think that 650 is a steal because they were almost double back then and HARD to find. And make sure to get your locker from Will at Sierra Expeditions. Great guy to deal with as MANY people will say on here, and after research i found everything from him to be the cheapest by a couple hundred dollars.

Igorskiy86

Observer
I finally got components for my locker set up. Ended up getting front and rear lockers, compressor and diff breather kit. It was kind of hard to find space under the hood, but after looking at couple of tests a perfect space was found, all I got to do now is make a bracket for it. It will be mounted right behind my main battery, there is just enough space there. Today I started to take apart my diffs from junk yard and that was a pretty simple but dirty job. I used some angle and all thread to make a diff case spreading tool, which made removal of the diff pretty easy. There is still quite a bit of work left, but hoping to be done and have everything installed by second weekend of june.
I also started to gather parts and came up with design for a drawer system. Will probably start on it after getting lockers done.

20160513_101931.jpg

20160513_101744.jpg

20160513_101716_1.jpg

20160506_101817.jpg

Igorskiy86

Observer
Finally the gears and lockers are installed, and I am super impressed by the change. I also went with 295 75 16 BFG KO2 tires and surprisingly it is not too hard to make them fit without problems. I had to slightly trim back bottom side of my front fenders where factory mud flap pieces mount, and now I have a slight rub with small steering angle when suspension compresses on the edge of my front bumper, still debating if I will leave it alone or do some trimming. Now with the new tires and 4.90 gears the truck drives like it did when it was completely stock and my speed is pretty much spot on when compared to gps. KO2 tires also give a much softer ride, which is so great and they are so quiet. Performance wise I went on a few trails and the grip was great, so I can definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a do it all tire. I had a chance to use my locker by picking a bad line over a frame twister type obstacle, and I did not expect them to make forward progress so effortless, now I have way more confidence then before. An upcoming upgrade will be a little more lift, should be something like 15-20mm, in rear I ordered spring spacers from Australia, and in front I will be making some spacers to go between strut top and body. I hope with the extra lift the rub between tire and front bumper will be eliminated. Next week I will be doing a 2500 mile road trip so should find out how my fuel economy is doing now.

20160613_120404.jpg

20160615_171349.jpg

20160615_171416.jpg

Igorskiy86

Observer
Thank you everyone. I guess mpg will be known soon enough. So far I am at around 15-16 with my daily driving and going to a trail. My spare is a cooper st maxx in 265 75 16 about 32 tall, those are the tires that I had before. Did not change the spare yet since I need to make an adapter plate to mount my spare higher as I dont have enough clearance against my rear bumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior