2016 4Runner model options questions, hopefully not redundant

fogab

Another "What should I do thread". If this has been covered in detail, kindly point me in the right direction so I don't ask for redundant info.

This forum has introduced me to the concept of overlanding and it looks like I'm finally in the market to get my feet wet.
The LR4 and 4Runner were up for consideration but I find it difficult to justify LR4 cost vs the 4Runner and various forums rave about Toyota quality. I'm open to any opinions on this but it seems as if there are a lot of things that could break on an LR4 suspension and leave you stranded if you don't have an expensive gadget to override certain things. I'm not seeing that with the 4Runner. The price difference is compelling as well since I plan on buying new. It's been 17 years since I last bought a new vehicle for myself. :)

So now it comes down to the best factory options. What options would you prioritize on a new vehicle?

This will be a semi-daily driver and my vehicle for long trips. I have a work provided small fuel efficient car for most of my local driving so the fuel efficiency of the 4Runner is not a concern.

My goal is to learn to drive offroad and become proficient in recovery before trying to build the flashiest of overland vehicles. We will start out light camping before advancing to longer and more remote trips. This is as much for me as it is for me to spend unique time with my family. As things break, we will upgrade. While extremely technical, I'm not a mechanic and have no intention of fabricating my own solutions. We will buy and mod as needed.

That being said, starting with the right options is important. Discovering that I need and should have ordered option "X" with the new vehicle because it was half the cost of retrofitting or is near impossible to add later is something I'd like to avoid. No component is off limits. (Wheels, suspension, drive, accessories, model, trim, anything)

Due to my family size, the third row seating is a necessity. However, It appears as though the 3rd row is not an option on the model(Trail/Trail Premium). Rear lockers appear only to be available on the Trail series. I see that KDSS is only available on a couple models. Should that be a priority? I don't have the first had experience to determine if the rear lockers or KDSS are a need.

Beside www.littlepassengerseats.com, I don't see any option for an aftermarket 3rd row. Can I buy one off eBay and add it myself if the right model does not allow for 3rd row seating from the factory?

Any guidance is appreciated.
Thank you

TundraADV

I have an LR4, prior to that an LC. The LR is a daily driver but it also gets used on fire roads ect. The V6 SC is nice and feels more powerful than the 4R. It drives nice and has a bunch of cool features but I worry about the longevity of it. We have barely had it a year and the tires are worn out with 20k on them, my LC went around 80k before needing a change. The front windshield has had a leak and the main seal blew off driving down the highway. It has a recall for the headlight washer, which tends to sink in and be useless-ours did. The door seals and rear hatch seals are being changed out as well, noticed when off roading crap was creeping in. One of the big differences that drives me nuts is the dial shifter. In my LC and Tundra not an issue. The Tundra is my Expedition rig now, love the room, power and everything about it.

As for the 4R, I enjoy this way more than the LR4. The features, cost of ownership accessories etc all make a difference IMO. I had bought a PRO 4R but preferred the Tundra PRO more. My understanding is the dealers can add a 3rd row(maybe order it too) and I know I have read on the 4R forums of people retro'ing them in fairly easy. Personally I think the PRO comes out the box ready to go but if you like to customize I would go with a standard Trail model-then add your tires, wheels, suspension and anything else you must have. You can get a Trail in the mid to high $30's range vs an LR in the mid to high $50's- lot more room to add on the 4R.

Personally if I could redo it all over again, I would buy a lightly used LC. Add a few things to it and call it good. Good luck with your decision!

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
The main thing you will lose if you want the 3rd row is crawl control, multi-terrain select, and KDSS because you could always add air lockers to an SR5 or Limited. One user on T4R added the crawl control and terrain select to his SR5, but it's not a particularly cheap or easy mod but it is possible.

I like KDSS a lot, its makes the on-road handling a lot more comfortable and confident. For long road trips, I would definitely recommend it, but I don't know how much you need for a 3rd row. (I know some people want a 3rd row but only have 2 kids... ******?)

If you need a 3rd row I would get an SR5 or Limited, either will be plenty capable for a beginner although the SR5 will have the advantage (Limited has 20" wheels and has trim pieces you will need to remove). A-TRAC and good driving basics will get you down a lot of trails, and as you get experience and want to upgrade you can add air lockers.

I don't know anything about those aftermarket 3rd row seats though, it doesn't seem like a good option for anything outside of an occasional emergency use.

High_Country

Adventurer
Owner of a 2015 Trail w/ KDSS here. Definitely go over to t4r.org, sign up, and use the search function. LOTS of good info there.

I would recommend the Trail and then retrofitting the third row if it's a necessity. (confirm you can add the third row - pretty sure you can, just double check on t4r)
The KDSS is great on the road and the lockers, crawl control, etc are nice to have should you need them.
A base SR5 is likely way more capable than most of us actually NEED but it's nice to have the other tools in the toolbox 'just in case'.

fogab

Great feedback. Thank you all. The 3rd row seat is uh, well.. taking a back seat to KDSS and Lockers. I'll figure it out later. Good info on adding a seat at t4r.org.
Thanks again.

dman93

Adventurer
I had an 80 series Land Cruiser with 3rd row and lockers. At the time the kids were young, and with carpools etc I used the third row seats much more often than the lockers. But the few times I used the lockers, AND all 3 rows of seats were fully occupied, with 3 generations of family ... priceless. My kids are grown now and we've never owned a mini-van. Who needs a minivan when you have 3 rows of seats and lockers?

fogab

I'm pressing a dealer for a technical reason and hurdles in regard to getting a 3rd row seat installed in a Trail edition. I would be hesitant to put a passenger at risk with my potentially faulty install. The liability would be tremendous. The kids can fit in the 2nd row but we often travel with a relative or two. The older LC option is intriguing but they really hold value and even most 5year old models are still more than the new 4R but with +80K miles. Certainly not a massive load on an LC but it introduces an unknown quantity at this point. Still researching the seat issue.

CabinFever

Observer
If you need lockers get the Trail or TRD Pro. If you dont then get the SRS. It's debatable if the TRD Pro is worth the $ especially now that you cannot get the Inferno color :p

I drove a trail before getting the TRDP but felt the ride was very harsh for long distance road travel. You could always upgrade to the bilstein 6112 (same as pro suspension but adjustable). Its so smooth on and off road. Can drive pretty fast on graded dirt roads also.

Danimal

Adventurer
Harsh ride on the Trail Edition: I don't think most reach the same conclusion. Most complain that the spring rate is too light and that nose dive is prolific. I can stand the nose dive for now, and KDSS firms things up in corners significantly.

I agree, look at an SR5 or Trail and upgrade shocks if needed. Avoiding the TRDP tax seems wise to me.

Dan

Dalko43

Explorer
OP,
The LR4, especially with the 3.0L turbo diesel, would be a great car to own new for daily driver use and forays into wilderness areas....I just wonder how well it would hold up out of warranty.

The 5th gen 4runner is a great platform as well. The engine, or some variation of it, has been in use for about 10 years now. The chassis is well proven (used on the LC prado overseas and fairly similar to the FJ Cruiser). So it should be a very reliable vehicle for you over the long term, especially relative to the LR4. Plenty of aftermarket support as well.

MY only note of caution is that the space, without a 3rd row, is limited as it is. If you plan on having so many passengers that a third row is required, I might consider another vehicle. With the 3rd row in place, you won't have much space left in the back for gear, and you'll likely have to use a roof rack and/or a trailer. Both options are viable ways to increase your storage capacity, but you have to be careful how much weight you throw up top.

If 3rd row seating is a dead set requirement, you might consider Chevy Suburbans or Ford Excursions. You can find used ones for some very good deals as well. Toyota Sequoia might also be a good option; it shares the same engine, chassis and frame as the Tundra, so you should be able to find aftermarket support for it. Obviously a LC 100 or 200 is a great option as well, depending on your budget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles