Beginner Pelican Kayak?

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
So now that I live near plenty of water me and the girlfriend have decided we want to try Kayaking. We are looking at two singles instead of a tandem and the local academy had this one:
http://www.academy.com/shop/Product...egory_rn=&storeId=10151&repChildCatid=3463540

It's about the right price for what we can afford two of, but we have been warned about cheap kayaks before. Does anyone have any ideas how this one or other Pelican entry level kayaks stack up?

conifers4

Suburban nomad
My teenage son has one of those. It served him well when he was younger but it is a bit cramped for him now and wants a sit on top model. I tried his and didn't like the sit in style. (I have a sit on top) If this is what you both can afford right now I say go with it and see if you both like kayaking before spending money on yaks that you will never use.

scanny

Observer
I got Pelican Pulse 100x which is similar. In general - it's not bad. Not too heavy, strong enough to take some abuse and very stable on water. Negatives is that it's slow, tracking is poor and there's not much cargo space. In my opinion it should be fine for beginners daytrips when stability is more important than speed and tracking. But starting with those kayaks we finally understood thtat we wanted to do multiday trips and fishing so we got a canoe.

ilguy

Observer
You already answered your question......you have been warned about the cheap ones.

Save your money and but a decent boat. Better yet, go try some different boats at a paddle shop.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I will let you know. I am buying 2 of the 12ft version and a dual person version as well. We will see how they work out for us doing day trips.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
Check Craigslist I found a Old Town Vapor 10' like new $150
Bought another at Dunhams Sporting Goods $299

It's a great sit in kayak, very comfortable and stable

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Check Craigslist I found a Old Town Vapor 10' like new $150
Bought another at Dunhams Sporting Goods $299

It's a great sit in kayak, very comfortable and stable

I have had my "$200" kayak for 5 years now it has been all over the East, even in the ocean.... if you realize its strong/weak points (like any equipment) it is a great little boat for a very little $. mjmcdowell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste