Looking For Heavy Duty 4 Bike Hitch Mount Carrier Recs.

dman93

Adventurer
Major difference between the standard and the super duty version beyond the added capacity is the receiver hitch. Super duty has a solid 2" hitch and Standard has an adaptable 1 1/4" up to 2" hitch. Both have the adjustable anti-theft adjustable expander ball.
Not quite correct, at least according to 1Up's website. The standard rack is indeed 1-1/4 to 2", but there's a Heavy Duty and a Super Duty, both 2". That's what I'm asking about - is it worth upgrading from HD to SD if I'm only carrying two XC bikes. The web site implies that the SD is for heavier bikes. Cost is slightly more, but if it's noticeably stiffer/stronger/more stable even with a light load, the SD may be worth it.

Jason911

Adventurer
Not quite correct, at least according to 1Up's website. The standard rack is indeed 1-1/4 to 2", but there's a Heavy Duty and a Super Duty, both 2". That's what I'm asking about - is it worth upgrading from HD to SD if I'm only carrying two XC bikes. The web site implies that the SD is for heavier bikes. Cost is slightly more, but if it's noticeably stiffer/stronger/more stable even with a light load, the SD may be worth it.

Why don't you just contact the manufacture to verify the differences of the product?

deminimis

Explorer
My simple philosophy is this: When in doubt, break the wallet out. Okay, it's "when in doubt, throttle out", but the prior fits the situation better. The question should be why wouldn't you buy the SD? Who knows, you might buy a trials bike one day (I know I miss mine and I will replace it someday), or perhaps some large person might see your rack and think it's a good place to take a short break. Regardless, the more bomber the better (in my opinion).

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Looks like this has been put to bed, but we REALLY like our 1Up on the front of our Fuso... We carry everything from Fatbikes to touring bikes with no problems. Even with the bouncing of this truck while cruising down the highway, they have been rock solid. I can't say the same for my Thule T2.

View attachment 340813

Do you think one of these would hold a Fattie vertical, and survive that way?

Almost bought a 1Up, but REI was having a spectacular sale, so went with Kuat for roughly 60% price of 1Up. If I needed something more heavy duty, I would have gone 1Up. But Kuat has been spectacular for my uses. I like the built-in repair stand as well.

Kuat on sale is meh.... Pay for the 1Up USA, extra $100 is nothing compared to the pleasure of using and eyeballing your custom-machined-in-the-USA-repairable rack... Yummy mechanical simplicity.

Be cool, not a coupon clipper.

Not to hijack OP's thread, but I'm looking for a strong 2 bike rack. I had a chance to look at pretty much everything at Sea Otter last weekend ... no 1Up presence in the vendor area, but lots in the parking lot and I know a couple of happy owners. But there was a new version of the Kuat Sherpa which was appealing; it has a lower profile to clear a folded down pickup tailgate when empty of bikes and not tipped down. I don't know if that is needed, but if I ever get a high-clearance bumper it may be useful. Plus, I like the more finished design of the Kuat's. Anyway, my question regarding 1Up for two bikes max: is it worth paying a bit more for the Super Duty version? Bikes are not likely to be more than 30 pounds each, but I'd like to be able to do extended washboard and offroad with no worries. Thanks.

Finishing is subjective... I appreciate 1Up's machine shop custom appearance, my wife likes the organic look of the Kuat prettiness, I do not - made in China smooth...

30lbs? Sounds great, but need to recalculate a repetitive 'bounce' force on the rear hitch... Super Duty for off-road makes sense.

Buy whatcha like, but if the best quality & option to be able to sit in a camp chair and admire your seriously hand-made-looking rack... Mmmm, bonus it performs hands down.

No affiliation, just a keen eye for awesomeness.

jerstw

Adventurer
Sounds like you made a good decision...just to chime in, as a 2 year long owner of a Thule T2 set up for hauling 3 fat-bikes and 1 skinny tire I have to say this has been a brutally disappointing purchase. Granted Thule says right on it "Not for Off Road Use" but I thought for sure it could handle a few gravel forest roads in Wyoming...I was wrong. We got 3/4 mile down the forest road and I was going at max 10 mph, hit a bump in the road and my carbon fatty popped out of the tray resulting in my carbon fork getting beat to crap. So to attempt to address it I have to use an extra bungee cord wrapped around the rim and front wheel tray. Also, if you are hauling a fat bike with a Bluto Fork the T2 arm either needs to be literally bent out and then pulled over the front tire to lock into the tray or I have seen a number of people put the bikes in the trays backwards. Also, this past winter it got down to -10 F one week and when tried to go out riding, the road spray got into the pivot point of the front tire hook / arm and froze solid...I thought it was just stiff, pushed hard and broke the plastic cap and the shaft on the spindle.

That whining all being stated, my father has the same setup, hauls a couple of hybird bikes around, never rides in the cold and never takes it off pavement and he is very pleased with it.

I have a friend with the 1Up and I wish I heard about them before I bought the Thule. The construction is pretty awesome, the manner in which it holds the bike in place is great for those that venture off the beaten path and I think the options for going from 2, 3 to 4 bikes are great. The only considerations I have heard from owners are they do not have an integrated cable lock and when unloaded one guy mentioned the rack can rattle a bit.

In summary, I will be ordering my black 4 place 1Up HD version and wall mount as soon as my Thule sells on Craigslist.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Kuat is the other one that I wish I went with over Thule.

What do you find the T2 to fail at? Just wondering...I don't use mine that much anymore since we bought a van but other than having to pad the fork on a couple of my bikes to keep the wheel hook from rubbing the fork paint it has been pretty bombproof...
I would like to justify a new one if you can tell my what to tell my wife is wrong with it:ylsmoke:

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I have the 3 fat bike trays out of 4 on mine so it may be different than a normal T2. My rack problem is with the ratchet for adjusting the front tire hook. It will loosen up, even with the lock cores in place and let the bike loose on the rack with only the back strap holding the tire in place. Out of the 3 fat bike trays I have one of the snowboard style ratchet straps for the rear tire also break. It is heavy and clunky and Mrs. Co-opski has a hard time using it. Winter is the worst for the locks freezing and the ratchets not working as they ice up. The fat bike kit is an additional $50 each, $350 for the 2 place and $299 for the add on 2 place and I'm less than pleased with the quality or support. Thinking about counting my losses and getting a 1up. Problem is there is a T2 for sale on Anchorage's CL for $250 and it is sitting. I'm waiting for that one to sell before I list mine.:safari-rig:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I have the 3 fat bike trays out of 4 on mine so it may be different than a normal T2. My rack problem is with the ratchet for adjusting the front tire hook. It will loosen up, even with the lock cores in place and let the bike loose on the rack with only the back strap holding the tire in place. Out of the 3 fat bike trays I have one of the snowboard style ratchet straps for the rear tire also break. It is heavy and clunky and Mrs. Co-opski has a hard time using it. Winter is the worst for the locks freezing and the ratchets not working as they ice up. The fat bike kit is an additional $50 each, $350 for the 2 place and $299 for the add on 2 place and I'm less than pleased with the quality or support. Thinking about counting my losses and getting a 1up. Problem is there is a T2 for sale on Anchorage's CL for $250 and it is sitting. I'm waiting for that one to sell before I list mine.:safari-rig:

Yeah mine is like that also...never paid it much attention...but now that you say this I guess I need to check out the 1ups...Thanks:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior