A quick trip to Quartzsite

Gone2Baja

Adventurer
I started this trip early Monday morning with my first stop being Quartzsite then on to the area around Bouse{sounds like house} with a quick stop and 'the fisherman intaglio' its a roadside archaeological site that looked interesting. The reason for the trip was mainly to simply explore the area and a little rock collecting.

The site is on the North side of the road but on the South side of the road I spotted an older man walking to his truck parked in a large turn out. I pulled up to say hi and as we talked we got around to asking each other what we are doing, I told him just looking for rocks and generally exploring the area.
He showed me a few nice looking quartz he picked up just South into a large canyon and pointed out with my truck {A mild 4x4 Tacoma} I could easily drive into the wash.

That led to a two night stay in a beautiful area I would have never thought to explore. I began driving into the canyon and wash some of it very soft, I stopped and lowered my tire PSI to 15. That helped with the ride and made the soft spots much easier to get through.
IMG_20160404_141544_894.jpgIMG_1923.jpg

As I drove further into the canyon the trail became very rough and slow, I stopped here and there to walk around and pick up some nice looking rocks and take a break from driving.
Because of the beautiful scenery and interesting terrain I continued further into this large canyon.
IMG_1927.jpg

At this point I had gone through some difficult sections requiring 4low and very careful tire placement. It helped that the trail while steep and rough was mostly hard rock so even with my street tires as long as I was careful I had plenty of traction.

I had driven about 12 miles, it was about 3:30 and hot {mid 90's} to help keep the stress off my truck mostly because of the slow going and my use of 4low I kept the A/C off so I decided to stop for a brake in a small wash that had some shade.
IMG_20160404_153034_327.jpg
I had a snack and a big bottle of water as I dozed in the shade, it really helped to splash my face and neck with water then just sit down to let the breeze dry and cool me off. After about an 1 ½ hours the sun had set a bit and it was noticeably cooler so I set off again.

I was going to head back but because of the time and scenery I decided to stay the night it was also going to be a small sliver of a moon so the stars should be awesome.
I continued down the trail stopping to check out a few old mines.
At one point I came around a corner to see a Ram {big horn sheep?} it had a full set of horns and took of like a shot! Way to fast to get a picture, it was interesting because it was brown not white like others I had seen in the past. I was happy I saw it and surprised how fast it was, when it hit a rocky section it never even slowed down.

By this time the sun had gone down behind the mountains so I drove a few more miles when I come across a wide, flat riverbed with a large hills on both sides. It was a very nice place to camp and the weather was cooperating to with no wind and nice temps.
I quickly setup camp took a quick shower and put on clean clothes {what a difference!}.
IMG_1929.jpgIMG_1928.jpg

I woke up early and decided not to go back the way I came because of the rough trail but to continue on to Brenda {Only3.5miles according to my GPS}. If I knew what was in front of me I would have turned around!

It was easy going for a few miles and I thought I should be coming into Brenda soon but I wasn’t even close. I went up and down some really bad hills with off camber ledges and turns again luckily the trail was hard rock so I just let the truck do her thing in 4low while I made sure to keep my tires pointed the right way.
IMG_1930.jpg
I then came to the toughest looking section yet, I couldn’t go back because on the steep hill I just came down and I'm not sure I could have even turned around. At this point I really regretted being alone..
As it turned out after some road building and careful tire placement and lots of sweat I was through it. I was very happy to have a front skid from PCI and a T-case skid from all-pro. Pictures really don't do it justice.
IMG_1934.jpg
After another tough clime I was finally out of this difficult section, thankfully!
IMG_1936.jpg

After a few slow miles I dropped into a large flat soft riverbed found a place to take an afternoon brake and after a few aspirin decided to just make camp for the night.

The next morning I got back on the trail spending most of it in 4hi because of how loose the riverbed rock/sand was.
After several miles the trail became a 2wd smooth road again and soon I pulled into the outskirts of Brenda. I aired up and hit the road home.

From where I first went off road to where I hit blacktop again it was only 12.2 miles in a straight line but according to my odometer I actually drove 39.6 miles.

Looking back it was a fun trip but I won't do something this rough alone again.
I would have felt much better if I had a better map or down loaded one onto my tablet and a small jump start pack because a dead battery would have been catastrophic.

A quick word about my truck, it's a 2006 Tacoma with LSD rear end, a 1.5 in lift and street tires. I've put a front aluminum skid from RCI metal works and a steel T-case skid from all-pro. She {Jen} has about 219,000 on her and runs great. IMG_1926.jpg

P.S. Sorry about being so long winded, I had the time so I just started writing...

Last edited:

Gone2Baja

Adventurer
A few more pics

This time of year so many plants are blooming;

IMG_1938.jpgIMG_1725.jpgIMG_1726.jpgIMG_1751.jpgIMG_1800.jpg

Just a few other random ones;

IMG_1931.jpgIMG_1932.jpg

So this should buff right out, right??

IMG_1940.jpg

Tazman

Adventurer
So this should buff right out, right??

Texas Pin Stripes. You don't want to buff them out just add to them. Nice trip report. I'm going to have to explore that area.

Curly

Adventurer
That rough section looks like Tank Pass. I went down it last Feb. Pretty rough in places, luckily I had others with me to spot. The view is looking North, with Brenda behind me.

100_5766.jpg100_5773.jpg

Curly

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Nice writeup, looks like it was a fun trip. Might want to consider better tires maybe? Just a thought. A portable jumpstarter is never a bad thing to carry, I got one last year and have had to use it a few times, it was nice to have it. Also makes it easier if you have to give someone else a jump start, instead of having to maneuver and position the vehicles so the batteries are close together, you can just pull out the jump starter.
The sheep you saw was most likely a Desert Bighorn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_bighorn_sheep

mkitchen

Explorer
Great country to travel

Mo and I have traveled quite a bit around there and it is very scenic in it's own desert sort of way. It sounds like you had a good time and got our without a lot of stress. I like your casual travel style.
Mikey

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great write up and pics...
I love KofA and the surrounding area, never seem to have enough time to explore it all.
I agree with Mikey about your travel style and going slow vs rushing, nice job.

Uncle Beer

Observer
Sounds like a great time out. This is the perfect time to get out and explore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Gone2Baja

Adventurer
This is what I love, just exploring and having a good old time (with a little stress thrown in) ;)

To be honest the stress was my own doing, at one point I would have loved having a spotter and a better idea of where I was would have set my mind at ease. In the end even the toughest parts I was able to get through with very little drama, after a bit of road building and walking across the terrain a few times visualizing my path I was able to get through with only one scrape to my lower control arm.

I would have liked to have a co-pilot a few times but in the end taking my time and thinking things through made it much easier, like I said being alone in a difficult section made my stress level go up un-necessarily. The heat didn't help any, for some reason I felt the need to hurry{weird}. Once I slowed myself down and took a breath, washed my face and had a cool drink I felt much better.

Last edited:

Gone2Baja

Adventurer
Nice writeup, looks like it was a fun trip. Might want to consider better tires maybe? Just a thought. A portable jumpstarter is never a bad thing to carry, I got one last year and have had to use it a few times, it was nice to have it. Also makes it easier if you have to give someone else a jump start, instead of having to maneuver and position the vehicles so the batteries are close together, you can just pull out the jump starter.
The sheep you saw was most likely a Desert Bighorn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_bighorn_sheep

I'm on the fence about the tires, with this type of trail the mild tread with lower psi did great. The hard surface gave plenty of grip and in the soft washes they provided great flotation. That being said show me a loose dirt hill or heaven forbid ANY mud and and I'b be wishing for a different tire!

A small jump pack is in my near future, a dead battery and I'd be walking not to mention the piece of mind! I just need to decide which brand, I'm leaning toward 'Anti-gravity' any other suggestions?

You are right it was a desert bighorn, thanks for the help. Such a beautiful animal!

FinsUp

Adventurer
My grandparents used to live outside Quartzsite. It is a beautiful area. I remember going out with my grandpa in his pickup and going rockhunting and exploring. Thanks for sharing. Great write up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94