'90 Dodge W150 Build Thread: ExPo or Overland

PhilipE

Observer
Finding the dually is going to be your problem. W350's are hard to find and bring top dollar.

Now on these old Dodges if your going to do a paint job. Remove all the old paint. The original primer most likely has rust under. I ran into this problem on my truck and many other 1st gen owners have seen it also. My cab came out of WY. The paint looked good no rust showing, very few scratch in the original paint. It was the wrong color I wanted. So I started sanding. What I found was small rust spots under the primer. There was a speck in about every square inch of the panels. Some specks needed spot putty after primer was applied. These were under paint that would have buffed out to a factory shine if it had been the correct color.

PhilipE

Observer
I really didn't have much body work. The largest amount was when I removed the mirrors from the doors. The cab and front sheet metal was very straight. I used two coats of DuPont Varize primer that is epoxy. Then three coats of gray primer. Then the black is many coats of DuPont Imron. Now on that part I had massive problems. I had a set of three HVLP spray guns. I had been using the primer gun for many years for most of my painting. For that job I grabbed the new gun. Well guess what. The finish gun in that kit turned out to be another primer gun. I already had the Imron mixed. Imron has a three hour pot life. I didn't have time to go to town and get another gun. It was orange peeling bad on application and any air pressure. So I spent over a month wet sanding that mess out. Its not perfect. It looks like it in pic's. Take my word it isn't.

The paint on the bed I did last summer. I had a new finish gun for that job. :jump:

I do not have a build thread on this site. I do have one on another site. Its about 60 pages long.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/89-93-non-powertrain/414475-my-never-ending-project.html

I do plan on heading down that way some time in the next year or two. Next summer the wife and I are headed up to the north west. We have talked about your area in the fall. I am not doing AZ in the summer months. I think AZ in Dec or Jan sounds about right. :D

PhilipE

Observer
My GF Char just reminded me our rod guides iced up and froze solid between casts in mid December at Lees Ferry so it can get pretty cold ... but im sure its sweater weather for the cold country boys.

Oh I might have to plan a little later in the spring. Sounds like you live towards the north. I was thinking southern part of your state in the winter.

If something happens to this 1st gen. I dought if I could afford another one. I bought this one in 98. Its like part of the family.

PhilipE

Observer
In that tan pic I think using #1 as white would be to much. #3 has less area in that pattern I think white in there might work. Then move the tan to #1.
I hope the plasti-dip stays on the rims. I have seen reposts of problems on wheels.
Nice cutty. I stopped doing boats decades ago.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Never seen a 1st gen decked out in full camo.

Those patterns look good.
OP beat me to it but I was about to say "I have - it's called the M880!" :sombrero:
Of course, there was never a Club Cab M880 so that will make yours look unique. That M880 photo you posted was in the same kind of camo we used in Germany in the 1980s, pretty sure that was the standard NATO camouflage up until the 1990s. After that, desert tan seemed a more appropriate color anyway. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior