AT Comanche upgrades

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I will be watching this build closely. Very exciting news Mario. I can't wait to see this truck when it's finished.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Very cool! Glad to see your keeping it!

I wanna know more information on a old mod to that rig. The supercharger. Can you post pics and any information about it? How do you like it? Is it reliable?

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
A little more progress last night. Under coating has been removed from the uni frame, factory gusset spot welds augmented with full bead welds. Also here's a few shots of some more of the parts that are going into the MJ: Spal fans & controller, Currie Anti-rock sway bar.

The drop down brackets and factory attachment point for the lower control;l arms will be removed. The picture with the tap measure shows the approximate line of the new long arm and mounting position.

The picture of the super charger is for those who might be curious about it. My opinions about it are quite mixed. I can tell you I received zero support from the mfg. Getting it to run correctly with the OPD I ecu has been a challenge since day one and I can tell you that I carry a lap top in the MJ so that I can adjust the mapping when needed. This is a mod that I will remove when it comes to the end of it's usable lifetime.

My thought for a future power plant are possibly a Banks tweeked KJ CRD or an International 2.8 TDI. I know diesel is more expensive than premium (a super charger requirement) but not by much. I suspect that with a diesel power plant under the hood I can acheive mileage in the low 20's vs. the 12 mpg I get currently. Nothing better than increasing range without a larger tank IMO.

I love the stock rims too but unfortunately when I swap out the 5/4.5 to 5/5.5 bolt pattern to allow for the front hub addition, the rims will need to change :(

Robert, by all means swing by bro...y'know you're always welcome.

Mario.....you going to be around Friday afternoon? I'll bring the Jeep by as well if you are so you and Simon can get a look see at my oil cooler modification. I know your Jeep runs hot same as mine so you might find my solution interesting. It has seemed to help.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
robert j. yates said:
Mario.....you going to be around Friday afternoon? I'll bring the Jeep by as well if you are so you and Simon can get a look see at my oil cooler modification. I know your Jeep runs hot same as mine so you might find my solution interesting. It has seemed to help.

Blast on by Amigo! It'll be a busy afternoon with the return of the AWOL trailer etc.

fisher205

Explorer
Jeep had a diesel in the Cherokees for a while. I think they were postal rigs. I see them pop up on ebay occaisonally. What was the diesel they were using?

theexile

Adventurer
More progress this evening. Got the new ARB bumper installed and it really gives the front of the MJ a face lift. Finished prepping the frame for welding. That factory undercoat is awful stuff and a pain to remove.Got started on installing all the frame stiffners. Fabbed up some new shock mounts for the front axle. Also got the Anti rock sway bar mocked up in place. Need to cycle the suspension with the new arms before I do the final weld on it. Want to be sure there will be no rubbing issues.More pics to come.

gillti

Adventurer
Glad Your Keeping it Mario. Always loved that thing. Can't wait to see the progress. :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier