AT Comanche upgrades

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
After a lot of searching for an appropriate replacement vehicle and a bunch of soul searching too, I came to the conclusion that there was not a new vehicle on the market within my means to continue to support me on my trips better than the vehicle I have been driving for the past 16 years and 320,000 miles: my trusty Jeep Comanche MJ.

I bought the MJ new in '92, drove it 23 miles off the lot to home and started modifying it immediately. It has been raced twice, in 3 accidents (I was only present for 2), been all over the US, Canada and Mexico. It has gone through too numerous mods and re-mods over the years to even re-count properly in a few sentences here and I will spare you the details. Instead I would like to share with you the new changes that are happening to the MJ to keep it a vital tool in my ongoing wanderings.

As busy as I am I have been very fortunate to encounter a very talented and dedicated fabricator in another ExPo member to do the work and help me through the renewal process: Simon, aka "the exile". Based upon what he knows about my driving habits, he has suggested a Jeep Speed like suspension.

The MJ has been running a RE 6" exteme lift since the lift was conceived. The track bar lowering kit comes loose all the time and makes noises that seem to be untraceable. I am tired of off the shelf and ready for a change....

The first thing we are taking on is fixing the numerous and very long stress cracks through the fire wall. The dash has been pulled out and a bunch of TIG welding is going on this week. Unlike most XJs, my MJ has no cracks at all in the unibody chassis, just the firewall.

Step two is reinforcement of the unibody. Simon has bent up a bunch of 10 gauge steel and had it heat treated. After removing all of the factory under coating, they will be welded to the unibody "frame". The reinforced frame rails will then be linked together with a custom built belly pan & cross member assembly. After this is done, Scotty, aka Burl40, will build a pair of rock sliders that tie into the frame reinforcements and also provide 4 gallons of air receiving capacity for the on board ARB compressor. there will be an air coupler on each side for the roadside air ups.

Step three will be to remove most of the RE suspension which has always been noisy and come loose on a regular basis. The dropped short arm system will be replaced with a custom long arm system. To give RE their props, we'll retain their springs, track bar and use their joints on the new long arms. The Rancho 5000 shocks will be replaced with Fox reservoir units custom valved by Simon. The factory bump stops with the RE extension will be removed and replaced with Fox air bumps. I am looking forward to to the better high speed control.

Step four is to get rid of those silly sway bar disconnects and drop down brackets and put in a Currie Anti-rock.

Step five is to improve cooling under the hood. First we'll remove the factory fans: both the electric and clutch driven one and replace the configuration with a dual electric 11" fan Spal unit. I run a supercharger on my 4.0 and it can heat things up in a hurry. Next the openings in my fiberglass hood will be opened up about about 100% to improve flow. A custom air box will be made and all the intake air tubes under the hood changed from coiled plastic to smooth interior steel tube, insulated of course. Our theory is that the engine compartment of the MJ/XJ platform is so cramped that it does not allow for adequate airflow as evidenced by several cracked headers, melted wires, clutch and fuel lines over the years. A heat shield will be created for the critical lines & wires to prevent future failures.

Step six is the replacement of the front factory bumper and Warn winch mount with an ARB unit. A nicely built plate bumper that has room for the A/C condensate tank as well as the custom aluminum coolant tank for the intercooler that Simon will fab. I have some pre-detonation problems with the S/C and think that increasing the cooling capacity of the intercooler and hence reduce intake temps.

Step seven is to replace the the knuckles with a new high steer arrangement from Solid Axle. This will eliminate the drag link drop down bracket, a source of constant maintenance and improve the steering geometry. The pitman arm will be returned to its original length and thereby reduce stresses on the steering box attachment points. At the same time that this work is done, new axles and front hub disconnects from Solid will be installed. Bolt pattern will change from 4.5 to 5.5. Rims of course will need to be changed and a shallower back spacing will be selected. Tires will change from 33x10.50 MT to AT.

These things are all being done as the preparations for the next major modification of removing the existing false bed and Snug Top shell and replacing them with a custom Flippac shell and a complete self contained built out interior using composite materials. More on that later.

Here's a pic of the MJ in its current state

TheGillz

Explorer
Wow that is awesome, I have always loved those pickups. A little off topic. In that pic do you use one of the 45* rotating LocknRolls or standard or something else?

Nice truck!

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Glad to see your keeping your MJ. I miss mine and regret ever getting rid of it. It served me well in its 297,000 miles and I just saw it 2 weeks ago for the first time since I sold it in '97. It had a little rust but seemed to be puttering along quite well. Looking forward to your build though it might cause me to go out and find another Comanche to buy.

TheMike

Adventurer
Crap Mario....and to think you still have time to build trailers!

You don't cut corners on your trailers so I expect nothing but awe out of the MJ! I hope one day to meet you in person!

Giddy-up!

ExpoMike

Sweet. Sounds like you have a plan and have found the people to help make it happen as well. It will be interesting to see the rig once it is all done. I have been impressed with it and it should just get better.

Staying tuned :lurk:

theexile

Adventurer
Its an honor to be working on Mario's Jeep. Its definetly one of those trucks that can say "been there done that so whats next" I will post up as progress is made so expect a daily update from this point on. Here are some pics of the cracks in the fire wall. Its as if the cab wanted to split its self right down the middle. Also some pics of the shock revalving.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Only with a TIG can you weld in flip-flops!!!!
LOL! BT,DT........

I do not recall his saying it here, but one forum member was part of the MJ/XJ front suspension design team (I think he was the team leader or Project Manager) and I recall reading a posting of his some time ago (probably on rdc) saying that the mounting of the steering box will not stand up to a dropped pitman arm. Given that I'm reasonably sure that the posting was on rdc I'm venture that he was referring to Jeep Speed applications, but stress level is only a matter of scale. The harder it's worked, the quicker it will fail. Outside validation of your observation and conclusion?

theexile

Adventurer
ntsqd said:
LOL! BT,DT........

I do not recall his saying it here, but one forum member was part of the MJ/XJ front suspension design team (I think he was the team leader or Project Manager) and I recall reading a posting of his some time ago (probably on rdc) saying that the mounting of the steering box will not stand up to a dropped pitman arm. Given that I'm reasonably sure that the posting was on rdc I'm venture that he was referring to Jeep Speed applications, but stress level is only a matter of scale. The harder it's worked, the quicker it will fail. Outside validation of your observation and conclusion?

Oh man those flip flops are totally OSHA approved:ylsmoke:

As far as the steering goes I would have to agree that having the dropped pitman arm does add stress to the mounting of the steering box. While parked and moving the wheels from left to right you can watch the box flex to some degree. The whole frame is getting beefed up and the steering box portion is also being added to. We are also going to be doing a highsteer set up at some point which will allow us to get rid of the dropped pitman arm.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
ntsqd said:
LOL! BT,DT........

When the dropped Pitman was added I had also put in a Rustys' streering brace which I think warded off the classic failures that so many XJ owners report. The rig runs 33 x 10.50 instead of 35 x 12.50 which means less stress, I also pick my lines on the trail very carefully...bouncing and wheel hop are just not my style ;)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
elcoyote said:
When the dropped Pitman was added I had also put in a Rustys' streering brace which I think warded off the classic failures that so many XJ owners report. The rig runs 33 x 10.50 instead of 35 x 12.50 which means less stress, I also pick my lines on the trail very carefully...bouncing and wheel hop are just not my style ;)
I expected that for it to have lived so long that care & thought have gone into both the installation and the operation. Somehow Mario, in my mind you just don't fit the "hold my beer - watch this" mold.....

I am mourning the loss of the OE alloys though. I really like vehicles that are far more capable than they appear to be, sandbaggers if you will.
I mean, the first thing any real off roader does is put AR 767 wheels on their truck, right? Can't possibly go far off road on stock wheels.
Where's the facetious smilie?.....

Then again, I wonder what the expected mileage was that was used in the wheel's life cycle analysis? Might be time from a safety perspective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier