Pita Van 4x4 Conversion

BajaVan

Observer
While I'm waiting for brakes to bleed, figure I'd put up another update.

Had to spend last week building my buddy's JK. Got the bumper back from PC and threw that on. I'm pretty happy with the prototype but will be making some tweaks on the next one before we finalize them for production.

Got the driveshafts more or less sorted out. Everything is re-plumbed and wired back up. Handful of things left and I can try to fire it up and take her for a spin. Getting very close.

-Rob

BajaVan

Observer
Well it runs again! That's exciting. Had to clear the rack and work on another van today. Really love having a step now with the rear bumper. Makes getting in and out so much easier.

Picking up the rear driveshaft tomorrow. Hopefully driving it around by the end of the week.

-Rob

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
That a good sign - although the "problem detection" software doesn't freak out when only driving at low speeds - like under 15 mph I think. Very curious to see what problems and solutions are involved.

BajaVan

Observer
That a good sign - although the "problem detection" software doesn't freak out when only driving at low speeds - like under 15 mph I think. Very curious to see what problems and solutions are involved.

Yeah, running and driving are two very different things haha. It's just nice to be getting down to the short list and then onto the real problem solving. Drive shaft should be on by this evening and hopefully it will drive back into the shop under its own power tonight.

BajaVan

Observer
Had a mis understanding with my driveshaft guy, so we got to shorten the driveshaft twice. Fun.

But the good news is that it moved into the shop under its own power tonight!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Had a mis understanding with my driveshaft guy, so we got to shorten the driveshaft twice. Fun.

But the good news is that it moved into the shop under its own power tonight!

At least it wasn't too short...

Glad to see you are making progress. :D

BajaVan

Observer
Well, she can cruise down the road again! After swapping in the Sprinter's transmission valve body, and making some rough tone rings on our Torchmate, the computer is happier. Runs through the gears and cruises down the road nicely.

Think we are gonna play it safe and tow it to Overland Expo as we have zero miles on it at this point, but at least now the formula is close. I still need to sort out the transfer case wiring and make a nicer tone ring, but it feels great to run it down the road again.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Great to hear its a success so far! Thats a big step forward. I am sure you will get lots of interest down in Arizona. Hope all goes well on your trip there and back.

BajaVan

Observer
Quick little update for everyone now that we are back from Overland Expo and we've had a chance to catch our breath.

I've been daily driving the Pita Van since we got back from Overland. Have about 150 miles on it so far and am very happy with the driving characteristics. No warning lights on the dash, and the ESP system works just as it did before. Stock fuel tank still fills great, full power at the pump and no back splashing or any issues filling it.

We had an individual shoot us an email through our website inquiring about when we will realistically have the ML conversion kit available for purchase because he was interested in buying an old T1N and converting it with this kit. Long story short, looks like the Pita Van will be going to a new home shortly. :-(

So, now the last few hurdles to sort out before I feel good about getting this over to it's new owner. Here's what the list looks like:

-Replace ML transmission mount with Sprinter transmission mount. The ML mount is much more rigid and induces more vibration into the cabin than I feel is acceptable.
-Replace upper control arms with new units.
-Redo rear driveshaft to a one piece shaft using 1350 U-joints.
-Build full skid plates for engine, trans and t-case
-Replace plasma cut tone rings, with a laser cut version.
-Wire transfer case to engage low range.
-Install and tune some Fox IFP shocks up front.
-Wheel / tire change. Leaning towards a set of 17" VW Touareg wheels to pair with some stock jeep Rubicon tires I have lying around.

I think thats about it. Need to get all this done by the 23rd of June for the NW Overland Rally so stay tuned.

-Rob

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Wow. Sorry we won't get to see you enjoy it when it's done, but hope this is the start of a new trend!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier