CUCV M1010 box question

mr_ed

Toolbag
So here's a question for you CUCV guys...what is the box mounting situation on those? I don't know anybody around my locale that has one I can go ogle, and I'm curious how they do it, and if it is similar to a standard pickup box mounting, what are the frame rail dimensions?

Reason I ask: I love the 12v Cummins. In my humblest of opinions it is the best of the Big 3's mechanical diesel offerings from the late 80s-mid 90s. I'm sure there are others who would disagree, but for me personally, I'll take a mechanical 5.9. So I've been kicking around the idea of picking up a 1st gen (or 2nd gen) Dodge and finding an M1010 box to swap over. That would give me that blank slate ambulance box, but on a truck that came from the factory with 4x4, a 5 speed manual, and a Cummins.

The M1010 (or at least it's box) is on my short list for picking up as an expedition-ish camper build, (a Type II van-body ambulance old enough to sport an IDI is also on said list). I like the Type II because being a van, you can throw swivel mounts on the seats up front and they can become part of the "living" space, my 6' me can pretty much stand up inside, and the fact that they can do freeway speeds. Downside is it would need a rather spendy 4x4 conversion, and while I have respect for the old IDI's, they are not my favorite.

The M1010 in original form is cool because it's already 4x4, it's mechanically simple, and it's rugged as all get-out. Downside is the abysmal highway speed. I can deal with the little stuff like the 24 volt/12 volt etc, and I know there are things one can do to that 6.2 (which I also have great respect for, for what it is), and I know you can swap in other transmissions/transfer cases/R&P, but at the end of the day it's still not going to be great for highway speeds. I'm cool with 65 mph, but I don't want the engine to have to push it's limits to do it, and I'd like passing speed if I needed it.

Sorry for the long-ish post. I've searched quite a bit, both on here and Steelsoldiers, but haven't had any luck finding out how well the M1010 box would line up with other manufacturers frame rails.

Cheers,

Ed

mr_ed

Toolbag
That's an interesting idea...how do they deal with flex between the cab and box with regard to the overcab portion? Is there just a flexible gasket (similar to pass-through material) that seals the cab to the overhead and still allows for flex?

Sent while on the toilet using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94