M101A3/Wildernest Build

Emorphius

Observer
Been lurking and dreaming for a while, but the time has come to start my build. I picked up a cherry M101A3 off CL that had just been refurbished by the manufacturer then decommissioned. Then this past weekend I picked up a longbed Wildernest. I have many, many plans for this. I was going to wait to start my thread until I had more done, but I am too excited. Here is where it is now. The tow vehicle is getting some upgrades first. Then axle with electric brakes and matching wheels and tires to the tow rig.

Here is a list of ideas to come, but very fluid at this point:
Dexter 3500lb axle with brakes
17" ATX Cornice wheels
extend tongue
tongue box
leveling jacks at 4 corners
tongue jack
max coupler
a lot of LEDs
Foxwing awning
insulation
fan
heater
fridge
water tank
water heater
cooker
sink
gally area (think xventure)
solar power and related items
propane distribution for water heater, cooker and heater
benches for bed floor that will convert to sleeping surface
All new seals for the cap
And far more that I am not thinking of at this moment

I have seen so many great ideas on this forum and can't wait to get cracking!!

Here's where I am now:
IMG_2469.jpg
IMG_2471.jpg

This is just a quick sketch of what I am planning:
IMG_2490.jpg

Last edited:

RagnarD

Adventurer
Off to a great start. How much was the topper?

Do you have a budget in mind or just the one piece at a time approach?

May want to consider moving the kitchen to the other side.

Emorphius

Observer
Thanks RagnarD. I have read through your builds countless times for inspiration. Got the shell for $1000. It is in great shape. Only 2 plastic clips for the interior headliner are broken. The tent is a little stained but in great condition. The shell is completely water tight, proven while driving home in a rain storm. It is missing the tent door, but that is no big deal. I can make a new one out of one of my old tents. Am considering a dual hard door setup. This year will mostly involve the axle, tongue, and interior. I will use what I have for now. The build of the gally will likely be next year along with the full water and power setups. I am trying to stay under $5k but that is a fluid number. The build will mostly be done in clumps: axle/tongue/interior, gally/power/water, paint/tint/aesthetics. Not t necessarily in that order. i am putting the kitchen on this side because the trailer will side lower once the new axle and rollers are installed making the area under the other side too short for me to stand under. There will be an awning over the gally and the other side will be the lounge area.

Emorphius

Observer
Thanks jscusmcvet and Mark. I am super pleased with these finds. Took a while to find a cap that was this clean but well worth the wait. We got 8 inches of snow last night. Went out to check it on it and completely dry on the inside. I have saved the links to your builds Mark. You have several ideas that I plan to incorporate into this build.

Emorphius

Observer
Thanks dstock. Yours is another thread that I have linked and read through countless times. The trailer build will be on hold for a few weeks while I sort out the tow vehicle first. Once I get the axles rebuilt with new gears, fix the cooling system, brake controller and deal with a few other odds and ends, I will be ordering up the axle for the trailer. I will also deal with the neck. Still undecided between the adjustable lunette or the max coupler. Either way I have to extend to be able to clear the tire carrier to access the cargo area of my XJ.

dstock

Explorer
Thanks dstock. Yours is another thread that I have linked and read through countless times. The trailer build will be on hold for a few weeks while I sort out the tow vehicle first. Once I get the axles rebuilt with new gears, fix the cooling system, brake controller and deal with a few other odds and ends, I will be ordering up the axle for the trailer. I will also deal with the neck. Still undecided between the adjustable lunette or the max coupler. Either way I have to extend to be able to clear the tire carrier to access the cargo area of my XJ.

I had to extend mine as well to clear the tailgate on the JK. I can't say enough good things about the Max Coupler, it's absolutely silent on and off road, I highly recommend it!

Emorphius

Observer
Wish I had some updates here, but the XJ is eating up what little spare time I have. Hope to get the top securely mounted and new latching mechanisms installed along with the stands to be able to remove it done this weekend. Never enough time.

Johnnyenglish

Adventurer
I'll echo Dstock's comments on the tongue extension and the max coupler. My setup has performed flawlessly so far and completely silent.

Emorphius

Observer
Thanks john. I have subscribed to your thread too. Using your measurement sheet for your axle as a guide for mine.

Emorphius

Observer
Finally some progress. I got the shell mounted, though will need to pull it again to replace the worn out shel to bed seal. I really just wanted to get the thing open. The family hadn't seen it open. Kids are excited. Spouse...still getting there. Also got the new latches installed.

Going to be ordering the new tongue, max coupler, axle, wheels/tires, and brake controller soon I hope. Dying to use this thing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier