2WD Overland Thread

p nut

butter
Well the daughter is getting married and moving to VA and we are headed back to CA with my son, who is building a drift car. Since its just going to be me, the wife and the dog, a mid size extra cab will fit us perfectly. we will start out with the 2wd setup, but everything mechanically will be in prep for a possible SAS swap in the future. I will upgrade the rear end size and go with an ARB, that way the compressor will be able to fill tires/air mattresses and potentially a front locker in the future if the 4x4 conversion is deemed necessary. We might be perfectly happy with a lifted 2wd for a while, but the option will be there and I can slowly accumulate parts as great deals come along. Wife tossed out the idea of Quads so that might be our answer to going past where the truck serves as base camp. Time will tell. Still looking forward to checking out what others have done with their setups.

That's how we're set up even with a 4x4 truck. With the girth of a full-sized truck, it made sense to get a UTV for tighter trails.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Well I got my truck, a 1992 Dodge Dakota LE Club Cab with 5.2 Magnum V8, straight with no rust or bondo, for $1400. A bunch of work already done, service records, and a happy new owner. Even the wife likes it bus says it needs a lift (love her!) Pics when she's cleaned up.

D

Deleted member 9101

I have a 2002 Tundra. I swapped to the 4x4 V6 read end to get 4.30 gears. It has 5100's and a 3/8 spacer that put the front up about 2" and 1" blocks in the rear. Sits with just a slight rake. The tires are 275/55/20's. I have been camping all over the south east and into TX, NM, and CO. never had a problem being 2wd.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
I'm in the same position with the ATV/utv, and I use a snowmobile in the winter. I need a full-size truck to tow our travel trailer, which even if I had 4x4, there would be alot of places I couldn't get to. To insure another smaller 4x4 vehicle would be alot more than one or two atv's or even a 4seater utv. In winter, there's just no way of getting in anywhere around here without a snowmobile or ATV/utv on tracks.

justcuz

Explorer
20 years ago my buddy bought a black 72 F250 2wd. 390/C6/Dana60. Used it to tow a big boat and had trouble pulling it up ramps.
We also set it up for desert use, F350 front springs, dual shocks and some custom built rear springs, rear locker.
With 4.11's it still was not safely pulling the boat up wet ramps, so we got the bright idea of installing a transfer case in it. Low range was perfect for pulling the boat out of the water.
3 years ago we put a Dana 44 TTB in front with 8 lug spindles, hubs, rotors and calipers. I think it may have been a Dana 44 HD. Has the small hubs, not the Dana 60 size like the Dana 50 TTB. Had to change the steering to front steer with the TTB swap.

Just an example how a vehicle can grow to suit your needs. This was all Ford parts out of the wrecking yard.

Lots of pre runners here in California get all over the desert in 2wd.

Last edited:

kraven

Hegelian Scum
One of my friends has, for years, thrashed a 65 Chevy shortbed offroad. He uses it for deer hunting and trail driving, but not rockcrawling or mud hole sounding (the two main Southern Appalachian offroad vehicular sports). It will go anywhere, almost.

L6/3 on the tree/positrac 12 bolt

He runs mudgrips on the back and keeps gnarly tire chains in the tool box. The truck has gotten so old now that people give him crap for abusing it, usually when he pulls up into the middle of nowhere with it. 20 years or more he's run that truck offroad.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Just this weekend I was checking out the San Rafael Swell area near me and there are hundreds of miles of 2wd roads criss-crossing the area. You don't even have to "abuse" a 2wd to plan out some great overland trips through some of the best places.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mr. Moore

Observer
I'm in the process of setting up a drawer system sleeping platform in the back of my F350 crew cab dually 2wd. I have been amazed at some of the spots I have been able to get to with this truck. Granted with her wide hips I can't get down narrow tracks, but with the factory lsd and four tires in the rear it does really well. As stated before, I have learned the limits of my truck and I try not to push the limits. The 2wd is mechanically much simpler than a 4wd and therefore has less to go wrong. I know a crew cab dually isn't the optimal overland rig, but it hauls my whole family, tows heavy equipment for work and is my reliable daily driver. My 82 gmc isn't reliable enough to take out in the back country yet so the "mule" as she's called does the job.

underdrive

jackwagon
Funny, getting to places was pretty much the main reason our dually F350 got converted to 4x4. With the big camper loaded in the bed she had all the traction she ever needed and then some, but take that monster off and replace it with a simple bed cap and truck became utterly helpless on any surface with relatively low friction coefficient. Wet grass being probably the worst, all the LSD did was make all four tires back there spin and slip together, while the diesel up front pretty much acted like a boat anchor. Now with 4x4, two LSDs, and two winches, we take that thing entirely too many places where it really should not be taken :D

SRW trucks generally fare much better tho, especially if they're also reasonably light.

Btw we do not really subscribe to the "4x4 has more stuff to go wrong" train of thoughts - if you get the right setup the 4x4 driveline is just as reliable as the 2wd, if not even better (for example the aforementioned truck's 2wd front wheel bearings were tiny compared to the monsters the D60 runs). In reality if you maintain your stuff regularly you'll be fine either way. IMHO the advantage of a 2wd setup comes from the extra weight it's not lugging around, meaning you can take more stuff you need with you - be it people or gear or supplies. Our F350 weighs over 8000 lbs empty, GVW is 10k - pretty much worthless for carrying anything worth mentioning if you wanna stay within the legal limits. As a 2wd it had about double the load capacity, and thus was somewhat more versatile...

Mr. Moore

Observer
Underdrive, I should re phrase what I said. I should have said fewer parts to carry if you are one of those people that carries extra parts. 4wd would be great to have and at some point I would love to convert my f350 to 4x4. For now it gets me to most of the places I have tried to go so far. I haven't had much of a problem with a lack of traction, at least not yet. Mine does great in snow/hard packed snow with no chains. I'm not a fan of mud, so I don't really know there but dirt, gravel, snow etc it seems to do fine. As soon as funds allow I'd like to put a winch on her just in case, but I have "manual" recovery gear for now.

underdrive

jackwagon
True, packed snow wasn't much of an issue with ours either. Them fields tho... But yeah, if your travels mostly take you down some sort of semi-beaten path that is not overly slick or soupy, 2wd is just fine. Ours kinda does many things at once, so it made sense to make it extra capable - so far it's spared us at least one night on a shut-down interstate in foul weather, that alone was worth the efforts. Finding good parts for good prices didn't hurt either :D

Thing with spare parts is you gotta carry the tools too, it's a slippery slope with a hefty weight penalty as a reward at the end. So we carry only things that are reasonably easy to replace in the field and can sideline the truck if they fail and are known to fail with little warning. Like a fuel lift pump for example. Pair of U-joints for the rear shaft too, they can also be used on the front with some monkeying. A pair of inner and outer wheel bearings as well. But that's about it, fairly minor stuff that doesn't take up much space. We've seen people carry spare transfer cases and radiators - them would be a sure sign said person is either abusing to their equipment, or has slacked on maintenance, or intends to try something pretty epic :D

D

Deleted member 9101

(for example the aforementioned truck's 2wd front wheel bearings were tiny compared to the monsters the D60 runs)

While very true, I have never once had a problem with wheel bearings on a 2wd truck... buuuut I also don't beat on mine off road or overload my truck on a daily basis with "expo" gear...haha.

kraven

Hegelian Scum
Yeah, that's true about the regular loading.
There are a lot of variables if you carry stuff or abuse it. And it's totally a slippery slope if you start carrying parts and tools and whatnot.

Driving experience seems to be a determining factor. You have to have the rare combination of "hold my beer" and self control for the right situation. I've seen my buddy's 65' go up to muddy wallows on jeep trails that he had to decide to either be dragged/winched through or turn back. Knowing when to do what is why that truck is still around.

Interesting to see how this thread goes. Last fall I bought a 2004 E350 passenger van to replace my full outfitted 1st gen Tacoma. While I would love to throw a Ujoint 4x4 conversion under it, I do not have the funds to do so and if I did would rather spend it on gas.

From this;

33cfd09c638109e78c0e241434d7af8b.jpg

To this;

9d394f2e65b7c86d4f80b1f1bc00dbfb.jpg

After years of owning Tacoma's I have found I rarely put it in 4WD. In the south I have to actively look for those areas and they almost always involve mud which I avoid like the plague. Even out west I have explored hundreds of miles off road in 2wd. I gave up the amazing off road ability that I barely use for the room and comfort of the van that I use constantly.

With the van I plan to add larger, more aggressive tires, a limited slip, and some traction mats. I figure this will get me where I need to go. The rest of the time I will get my lazy *** out of the van and use my feet or mountain bike to explore further.

I think the spirit of over landing was originally about exploring in whatever you had. It has now turned into a commercial, bigger is better attitude. Buying the latest, greatest stuff is cool but actually getting out and using what you have is way better!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne