2WD Overland Thread

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
Taken this weekend, both trucks are 2wds and it was pouring rain, I'm amazed the difference the limited slip and ******** cepek fun countrys performed next to the chevy with an open diff and bfg all terrains, many hills I was able to crawl up with little to no wheel spin where he had to use a lot of speed. Didn't feel the need for 4x4 at all, even the slick muddy hills

justcuz

Explorer
I have 4wd vehicles, but all have a locker or LSD. Most of my travels are done in 2wd, but when the road gets bad a simple switch to 4wd is seconds away. I like the peace of mind of having the ability to self rescue.

When I was younger I had a Baja Bug and a pre-runner pick up. They were fun and got me a lot of places, but once I owned a 4wd I never went back. Even with today's better ABS, traction control technology and suspension I still like my 4wds.

DaveNay

Adventurer
Defiantly recommend that, made a night and day difference for me

No need to be defiant about it, I agree it's a good idea! :ylsmoke:

BTW...I drive past your town every year on my way up to Snow Lake MB for fishing. (We cross into MB at Pembina)

MexPack

Great thread. I am in this same boat. I live in Mexico, where the Toyota Hilux is available, but only in 2wd. We want to do long stretches of the PanAm in Central America, and possible down to S. America. So we will be off the PanAm looking for cool places to camp, but not looking for hardcore lines etc. It seems clearance is more important. We will have a slide-in pop up camper. I'm also painfully ignorant re: mods like LSD etc. so I may ask some ignorant questions. This will help with research.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
A friend of mine is looking at getting a 2wd Tacoma for a daily and exploring the area out here in the west. First gen, 2.4L, manual (EVERYTHING, including the transmission), etc. He thought about a prerunner for the ground clearance, but mpg takes a hit. I must say, I also like the minimalist look of the low slung 2wd. 180k and $4k. These things hold their value.

SLONOBS

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Express Crew cab with a shell. I've been adding things as I need them. Trips out to the desert called for some all terrain tires and a limited slip differential. HUGE difference and a must if you are going off road. I'll soon be adding recovery bumpers, a 2" spring lift in front and Rebel wheels/tires. Should be plenty fine for my needs and then some.

Mr. Merk

Since selling our Rubicon last year I've been hankering for some adventure. Although my wife's Cayenne is more than capable, it honestly is too pretty to get filthy and/or scratched. Honestly it isn't very comfortable on rough roads.

I've had my 2wd Sierra for almost 8 years and nearly 100k miles. Its got a G80 3.73 axle and has never been stuck, even when those with us have had to stop and put their trucks in 4wd to make it up the same trail. There is something to be said for having momentum and letting the locker work.

For the past several years I have been running 07+ tire & wheel combinations. Most recently 265/65R18 from a new Z71. At nearly 32" the very mild AT tires fit fine under my truck even with lowering shackles. They provided a very cushy ride with Bilstein shocks. This last go around I dropped the size down to a 265/60r18 to be closer to the factory size. It looks and handles better, plus I got my gear ratio back.

I've been toying with the idea of installing my Jeeps's Badlands 12k winch and KC lights. Roughcountry has an inexpensive mount under the front bumper and I already have the rest. Some Maxtraxx and my Jeep recovery bag would probably get me anywhere I want to go.

https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-hidden-winch-mounting-plate-11002.html

Maybe at some point I'll get a lift and some bigger tires on lightweight 17" spares (made by Enkei)

https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspension-lift-kit-239n2.html

or maybe I'll just get another Jeep :)

rho

Lost again
Just found this thread....

I'm about to start getting some mods going on my partners 03' GMC Sierra, front springs are shot, shocks are dead, etc... So I have a big pile of parts on the way, some new shocks, new springs for the front end and a 2" leveling kit is going on. We're also toying with tossing a winch plate on it like the poser above... Her truck has a G80 in the rear with 3.73's and recovery points and all that stuff and its proved to be fairly able to get places already. It has a hard bed cover and a bed slide that we're going to sell off and put a soft topper on it. Plus some decent AT tires and I think it'll get to the places she wants to go with it.

Doc_

Sammich!
I'm currently rocking the one-legger lifestyle until I have enough money to swap in my D44:
qWgwkGJ.jpg

pMc8Bv0.jpg

Mr. Merk

I've had my 2wd Sierra for almost 8 years and nearly 100k miles. Its got a G80 3.73 axle and has never been stuck, even when those with us have had to stop and put their trucks in 4wd to make it up the same trail. There is something to be said for having momentum and letting the locker work.

I've spent that last couple Sundays doing some driving on the Trans America Trail in eastern OK and western AR. It's obviously mostly dirt road with a couple of water crossings here and there. I probably wouldn't attempt Warloop Rd in my 2wd but it was cake in our Jeep or any 4wd for that matter. I did feel the locker working during a couple steep inclines.

I'm now getting some wheel bearing or tire noise, might be time for another hub bearing.

This lift is somewhat appealing with plenty of travel, although plenty spendy (not including shocks) https://cstsuspension.com/99-2007-c...999-2007-1500-2wd-pickup-crew-cab-7-inch.html

My truck is fine for the TAT but at this point I'd have more fun looking for trouble in something 4x4 that I don't care about banging up.

PhillySMB

We’ve had our 2WD E250 Sportsmobile van up some pretty dicey fire roads and dirt hills without problems. LSD rear and the high stock clearance does pretty well, even running regular LTX road tires. The heavy weight (~8700 pounds loaded for travel) is both a blessing and a curse, but usually helps us keep traction pretty well. We have three AGM house batteries over one rear wheel and a 15 gallon water tank over the other, which helps too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior