Most popular stove's used in Overlanding

carbon60

Explorer
Owing to modern travel, I burn diesel in my brass stoves.
Great fun to use & much like my unusual 'Expo-worthy vehicles, gobsmacks the rubes.

How well does that work, in practice?

Since I just switched from a gasser to a diesel (FZJ80->HDJ81), I want to switch my cooking to diesel as well, if it works well. I'd love to see some photos and commentary!

jpachard

Adventurer
Big fan of Coleman here, mostly due to availability of parts and fuel. Not a fan of carrying propane as it adds complexity, is heavy, doesn't work well at altitude etc. Coleman can burn petrol, as long as you grab the right model, are easy to work on and can be fixed in any first, second or third world country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ifconfig

Hi

Sorry to borrow the thread as my first post.
What do you guys think would be best option for overlanding?

A 2-burner propane stove and my Trangia spirit stove for high altitude and redundancy.
Or, a Coleman 2-burner and the propane addition.

Regards
Magnus

jk6661

Observer
For Partner owners: it looks like the burners on all of their models only put out 10,000 BTUs each. That seems underpowered to me for the price. Comments?

Last edited:

Chris Boyd

Explorer
I don't know about the BTU rating, but I never have a problem making my partner cook any hotter! The lower end simmer is where I struggle, but just bought a simmer plate diffuser and that seemed to help out.

JackW

Explorer
Just got my 16" Partner Steel stove today - just the right size for me and it will fit in my wolf type ammo box with enough room left over for all of the pots and pans I need and a couple of 1 lb propane bottles.

Nomad1

Observer
Stick with the Coleman stove and get the propane adapter if you need to be with the cool gang looks like your all setup why change out what already works?
if you camp in cold weather propane/butane sucks and you will be happy you still have your Coleman naphtha stove as it is not effected by cold weather besides its almost bullet proof....
no mater what stove they all look a bit grungy in time it is what it is....

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Hi

Sorry to borrow the thread as my first post.
What do you guys think would be best option for overlanding?

A 2-burner propane stove and my Trangia spirit stove for high altitude and redundancy.
Or, a Coleman 2-burner and the propane addition.

Regards
Magnus

It depends on how high you "high altitude" is I typically camp around 9,000 ft. (3,000 meters) to tree line (above that is mostly desolation, cold and wind)... cooking at altitude just takes longer.
Propane (in a 10 or 20 pound tank), powering an old Coleman 2 burner, generally works fine for me (except the low oxygen shutoff on some heaters won't let them work)... no issues with low temperatures, but then I gave up camping is arctic conditions some decades ago. Coleman advertises their propane stoves to work down to -20F (-29C). However the literature indicates that backpacking canister stoves need to switch to an iso-butane-propane mix around 10C.... I have yet to experience propane freeze up because I am a fair weather camper; note it is not unusual to get frost or snow when camping in spring early summer or fall. (pre-warm your backpacking gas canister).
http://coleman.custhelp.com/app/ans...tudes-of-your-coleman®-propane-or-liquid-fuel

Alcohol works to heat the morning wash water or hiking rations... I have not seen any altitude or cold issues using a Trangia and alcohol. (use a windscreen)

I also use white gas/Coleman fuel/naphtha with an old Svea 123R when only cooking for one. no issues with cold there either. Again, use a windscreen... been using this stove for more than 30 years at all altitudes and in all conditions...

Not certain how well these work above 12,000 feet though.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
Camp stove.jpg

I use a Coleman two burner propane stove. The one lb cylinders are easy to stash/squirrel away, easy to find, and seem to last a long time. My fingers don't smell like Coleman fuel, and I don't have to pump it up. It always works, and with the side wings even when it is windy I can cook. Someday I'll get an adapter hose to connect to a larger fuel cylinder tank, but I'm not in a rush to go out and buy one.

If you've got the space to take it with you, a propane Camp Chef oven/stove combo is really nice when out camping. It also runs off the one lb propane cylinders. I don't care for the stove portion as much compared to the Coleman Stove (the flame burner diameter is too large on the Camp Chef), but it sure is nice to make blueberry muffins in the morning, and pizza or biscuits (like cheddar cheese muffins) at dinner time.

When I'm out on the trail, I like to eat well, and sleep well (and be warm and dry).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior