Most popular stove's used in Overlanding

CuStOm

Adventurer
I have the same Camp Chef. It's AWESOME. Real residential level burner control for those that do real cooking. Very happy with it.
Dah4nyt.jpg

madmax718

Explorer
I don't know about you guys who run a stove under your hatch. I try never to cook in, or next to my vehicle. The heat of cooking, risk of fire , also the splatter of food.... no concerns?

carbon60

Explorer
I don't know about you guys who run a stove under your hatch. I try never to cook in, or next to my vehicle. The heat of cooking, risk of fire , also the splatter of food.... no concerns?

The only problem I've run into is splatter. I don't cook bacon or deep fry under my hatch. :)

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Its taken me 30 years to retire my white gas MSR Firefly.....turned 50 and bought a dual burner Partner Stove. The thing is down right bad-*****

Its like going from a 1966 Land Rover Series II to a 2014 Land Cruiser 200. Boils a gallon of water in about 2 minutes. Very well built, simple and rugged -- almost Soviet in design. Last stove I'll ever have to buy

outdoornate65

Adventurer
I have a Coleman stove that was given to me by my grandpa before he died. He used it on every camping trip we ever went on and its probably 40 years old and it won't quit. I see a lot of people talking about partner stoves. What makes partner stoves better than anything else?

Awesome stoves. Rugged build quality without frills or "chippy" bits. Built to last a lifetime.

fredgoodsell

Adventurer
I have a Coleman stove that was given to me by my grandpa before he died. He used it on every camping trip we ever went on and its probably 40 years old and it won't quit. I see a lot of people talking about partner stoves. What makes partner stoves better than anything else?
We have a fleet of 4- and 6-burner partner stoves that get heavy commercial use (multi-day rafting trips), and are all 20+ years old. Still going strong, you just can't kill one.

stingray1300

Explorer
I have a Coleman, but as was stated, when you're in real cold weather you need major BTUs. The 8,000 BTU burners of a normal Coleman just might not be enough. I found this to be true when we were in the Yukon and Alaska in '14. Took forEVER to cook the coffee! So I found another Coleman: Exponent Rendezvous. 2-15,000 BTU burner base camp stove with a body of billet aluminum. Man that thing can cook the coffee in the morning! Comes with a non-stick griddle, cutting board, utensil storage, etc. Hard to find though.

slidestove.jpg

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I have a Coleman, but as was stated, when you're in real cold weather you need major BTUs. The 8,000 BTU burners of a normal Coleman just might not be enough. I found this to be true when we were in the Yukon and Alaska in '14. Took forEVER to cook the coffee! So I found another Coleman: Exponent Rendezvous. 2-15,000 BTU burner base camp stove with a body of billet aluminum. Man that thing can cook the coffee in the morning! Comes with a non-stick griddle, cutting board, utensil storage, etc. Hard to find though.

View attachment 351798

Big BTU's is always nice...it's just like having big HP ...you don't have to use it but it's nice to know it's there.
When it gets cold I usually make a tent or tube (depending on application) out of foil to keep the heat around the cook/coffee pot longer to aid in cooking and preserve fuel.

Darrell

photo nomad

Adventurer
When it comes to high elevation or cold weather it's much more efficient to use something like the MSR Reactor for boiling water and coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CuStOm

Adventurer
Nice setup. Where's your LP bottle? Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.
1gallon Manchester in front of the fridge held in place with two quick fist clamps. Hose runs inside the drawer. Works great!

Silicone splash shield for messy stuff. I am not concerned about this issue....its a good foot from my car and 3' from anything above.

lzVnysm.jpg

perterra

Adventurer

View attachment 351798

If you search around and find an unregulated propane adapter for a Coleman fuel stove you can get 2 foot of flame off of the burner. You can get enough heat to turn the grate red and warp it.

ludeykrus

Observer
Would a drill bit suffice? :sombrero: because I did just that when my inline "filter" part of my propane grill became clogged after 5 years. It made for the PERFECT sear on a steak!

perterra

Adventurer
Would a drill bit suffice? :sombrero: because I did just that when my inline "filter" part of my propane grill became clogged after 5 years. It made for the PERFECT sear on a steak!

Never thought about just drilling it. More than one way to skin a cat.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
I personally prefer to use my MSR Dragonfly, well actually two of them. I have a Coleman dual fuel as well but its just big, and bulky. I love the ability that I can run my MSRs off basically any liquid fuel I can find. Its also extra handy that its fully serviceable in the field and they pack small enough that I can throw one or both in my bag and head off on a hike. I like backpacking stoves so much that I keep an msr pocket rocket in my truck at all times for emergencies. I dont think I could ever go back to a big stove again as my main stove.

Another really amazing thing about this stove is that unlike others it has a fully adjustable flame. I can set it for a low flame simmer or a roaring flame to boil quickly and sear
msr_dragonfly_2.jpg

Occasionally I do bring my Coleman if I know there will be a lot of people and we may need to share stoves, but really that is not common. If I am planning on making big meals I always end up bringing cast iron anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz