pop up camper needs some love

I got this camper from a friend for helping on some truck repair. It needs a lot of love. I hope you guys and gals dont mind but I will have a lot of questions. the interior will be remodeled. I am not trying to invest too much $$$$$$ as I want to use it and do some adventures. it more than likely will need new wood and outer paneling. here are some pics IMG_2054.JPGIMG_2055.JPGIMG_2056.JPG

Josh41

Adventurer
Looks great. What is it? What truck will u use?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I have an f-150 ecoboost but I am working on selling it to get a diesel to tow my prerunner truck and this camper. Does anyone know where to buy the siding and how much work it is to replace?

I am looking at a f-550 today with a service bed hoping to pick it up for a good deal. I want to start working on this thing asap. I am planning on making a stand for it because this truck has a service bed which is so rad! all new upholstery and some electrical work will be the first thing I do on it.

Hi goofballracer,

I do not live in San Diego any more or I could be of some additional help.

Before doing anything inside get it water tight. The siding is .019 aluminum. Unless it has big dents in it or holes I would reuse it. The main problem with the aluminum shinned campers and trailers, is the factory used the easy to clean up and cheap putty tape on the joints and ends. Unscrew the strips of trim starting at the bottom and work up with the siding if it needs to be replaced.

If the siding is good remove every piece of trim, windows and doors. The same for the roof. Scrape all of the caulking off and remove the items going through the roof. Replace the putty tape with polybutal tape (the better cousin of the cheap putty tape). Clean the remaining with solvent to remove all of the oil left on the surface from the putty tape.

When the surfaces are clean put the new 1' X 1/8 " polybutal tape on the pieces that you removed. Use all new screws #8 size X 1" at least. Do not over tighten at this time. Only tighten until you see a little of the polybutal tape squeeze out. Stop and let the tape sit for a day in the warm sun. Go over every screw when it is warm tightening just a little more. When finished tightening, take a putty knife and genteelly cut against the edge of the trim down to the metal siding (using care not to cut the siding). Cut with one hand while pulling the excess off with the other hand. This should take care of the sides. For the roof do the same but follow up with "Vulkem" 1 part Polyurethane sealant over the exposed cut polybutal tape and all screw heads.

Note; Polyurethane is the best product that will last 25 years in the sun, rain and snow. It is messy to work with but it works better then any other product for this type of application. It is moisture cured. If you need to press it into a corner, hole etc. spit on your finger and it will not stick to your finger. Put water on your finger and have fun getting it off. If you need to get it off use paint thinner right away.

Now I do not know it they are still around but try Aladdin Supply in San Marcos for the aluminum. They can order by the pattern you have in limited colors. You may need to have it painted when your done to match colors.

If you do this the correct way you will never have a leak problem again. Note; bullet holes, trees crashing through the roof are not meant to be included in the prior statement.

haha thank you very much for all of this info. The main issue I have is that the wood on the roof that I can see when it is cranked up seems to be pretty weathered.

OffGridCamper

Observer
Luckily yours is in better condition than mine, I'm doing a similar job now, but quite more extensive, you should have an easier job than mine. Loads of fun for me and surely for you as well.

c00336b5a939fe5b1de3608c52f72c3f.jpg

kerry

Expedition Leader
On mine (northstar T1000 in a service body on a Fuso FG) I put a piece of angle iron across the service body at the front of the camper and bolted it to the jack attachment points. Since I also have bed room in front of the camper I also put eye bolts in the steel channel at the bottom of the camper and in the bottom of the bed and bolted them together. At the back I chained the jack mounts to the bumper at the outside and also used eye bolts from the steel channel to the bumper again resulting in 8 attachment points total. I may have some pictures of those mounts somewhere in the Fuso forum. But with service bodies you have to be creative. I had to raise up the bed of the service body since it was too deep to accept the camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online