Off road camper trailer build #campertrailerbuild

toyota21

Observer
Looks fantastic, any idea on the weight? Military stuff tends to be indestructable, but weighs accordingly...

Haha very true about the weight thing with most military stuff.... its actually very light, haven't weighed on a scale yet, but only the frame rails are steel. The body(box and all framing) is all aluminum. The axle and wheels are the heavy items. One of these days ill take it to scale. easy to move by hand tho.

indiedog

Adventurer
Looks great. I can imagine it with a tent on top that folds down to make a room on one side as per the latest Patriot or the Conqueror models.

I'd be interested to know the dimensions of the main box.

toyota21

Observer
Looks great. I can imagine it with a tent on top that folds down to make a room on one side as per the latest Patriot or the Conqueror models.

I'd be interested to know the dimensions of the main box.

Thanks!!! I thought about a roof top tent...

Main box outside dimensions are 8' long, 4' wide, and 3-1/2' tall so inside is approx 2inches smaller than that with insulation and paneling. Over all length with tongue is about 12feet. And the track width of the tires matches my 90 Toyota pickup with offset rims.

Last edited:

Srpat

Observer
Haha very true about the weight thing with most military stuff.... its actually very light, haven't weighed on a scale yet, but only the frame rails are steel. The body(box and all framing) is all aluminum. The axle and wheels are the heavy items. One of these days ill take it to scale. easy to move by hand tho.

Yes, the box is aluminum, but the entire trailer, even when gutted might be heavier than you think. I have the same trailer, outfitted with a large tent on top, kitchen, and battery/solar setup. It weighs about 2,500 lbs fully loaded. It was disappointing since the trailer specs said the weight was 810 lbs. turns out it is 810 lbs PLUS the weight of a pretty beefy aluminum box. My guess on your trailer weight would be close to 1,500 with just an empty box. Awesome trailer, but heavier than I thought.

toyota21

Observer
Yes, the box is aluminum, but the entire trailer, even when gutted might be heavier than you think. I have the same trailer, outfitted with a large tent on top, kitchen, and battery/solar setup. It weighs about 2,500 lbs fully loaded. It was disappointing since the trailer specs said the weight was 810 lbs. turns out it is 810 lbs PLUS the weight of a pretty beefy aluminum box. My guess on your trailer weight would be close to 1,500 with just an empty box. Awesome trailer, but heavier than I thought.

Good info, Thanks! Ya i'm going to go weigh it once i get the interior in. Going a little minimal on this one in terms of amenities like a kitchen and roof top tent. at least to start. My little yota does 60mph up a steep grade with it right now so im happy with that :)

toyota21

Observer

Do You have any picture of your build? Id love to see!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier