How much water is enough?

6btEX

Observer
^^^^This.

I do not know your trailer size or tow vic however, I assume a dodge cummins just from your forum name (6bt and all...). Water is heavy and moves a lot if the tank is not baffled. Personally from your description I'd take between 10 and 20 gallons and a filter. Water for showers or dishes does not have to be filtered. Your in the PNW so water should not be hard to find and lighter is better almost 100% of the time.

My tow rig is an 80 series Landcruiser, trailer has a 5x10x5 box.

My other rig is a 6bt Excursion with 6 spd and dual disc clutch. manual t-case.
The excursion is nice in open areas, but hard to maneuver through dense forest roads.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I use a 21 gallon under the bed....a 5 gallon on each side, and always carry a 5 of strictly drinking water .

I think if you're careful doing dishes, or just eat of paper (I never do) 30 gallons would be fine for 2 people. I generally will shower at least once a day unless it's really cool out.

I always have extra water going solo.

6btEX

Observer
I use a 21 gallon under the bed....a 5 gallon on each side, and always carry a 5 of strictly drinking water .

I think if you're careful doing dishes, or just eat of paper (I never do) 30 gallons would be fine for 2 people. I generally will shower at least once a day unless it's really cool out.

I always have extra water going solo.

Thanks Pat for your input.
Love your trailer. It has inspired me and others to build our own.

blackwood

Adventurer
I use about 1.5 to 2 gallons for a very quick shower. I shave my head so I have no hair. A woman or a dude with a manbun or ZZ Top beard is going to use up a lot more water. I would install the largest tank that would fit, you don't have to fill it up all the way if not needed.

wagex

Adventurer
my longest camping trips are usually 3-5 days and i bring 16 gallons for myself and usually 1 other person usually have a few gallons left after showers, cleanup, and drinking. i am by no means sparing besides the showers, il turn it on for a few seconds to get wet, turn it off, lather up, rinse off, if its a shorter trip il leave the water running for a minute or two and enjoy the hot water after im done rinsing off.

Tazman

Adventurer
45 Gallons last us a week. Bathing, dishes, and misc. We usually drink bottled water, beer and Margaritas so drinking water is not included. Takes care of a family of 4. We have been challenged with ice more than water. Margaritas w/o ice are no Bueno.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
That's why I stick to wine

Ice + wine = no bueno :sombrero:

As for water, we generally stick to bottled water simply due to the taste associated with tank water.

So the 36 gallon tank we run (truck camper, not trailer) lasts us for weeks.

Coffee, dishes, washing hand, brushing teeth, and sponge baths utilize the tank water.

6btEX

Observer
Update

We just got back from our first longer than weekend trip.
From Lewiston through Lolo Motorway, then Darby to Lewiston through the Magruder Corridor.
With two adults and six days our water usage was as most described.
We used almost two gallons a day for drinking water, a total of 11 gallons overall.
We have a Zodi Extreme shower that we took 6 total showers with, for a total of about 18 gallons.
If we needed to conserve more water we could have had shorter showers, but they were great after long dusty days.
So, just under 30 gallons, with no effort to conserve.

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
Just as reference we have been tent camping and have a 5 gallon water jug. We just use it for brushing teeth, washing spatulas and what not. It will last us a week no problems.

It all just depends on how much you use it.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
I am currently building an off road camper. Designed for two, planning on stand alone trips of 5-7 days without supplies.
Our trips our mostly west side of Rockies, hiking and such. A daily shower is the norm. We share a Zodi extreme shower, so usage is low.
I am trying to decide on water tank size. Drinking water will be from other sources, so mostly for cooking, cleaning, etc. Seems a lot of trailers run 20-25 gallons.
Is that good without refills for a week or so?
Describe, zodi extreme shower, so usage is low amount?

86scotty

Cynic
Describe, zodi extreme shower, so usage is low amount?

I just noticed the thread is so old so in case he doesn't respond, it's this:

We use a similar shower setup, a Nemo Helio, and can get a rather nice shower on about 2 gallons with it.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Didn't notice the age of the thread, oh well.
When I read, showers everyday my first thought was how many gallons a day
Just to look and smell good, seems excessive, I probably stink when I camp,
seems that's part of the ambiance of the adventure ?

DFNDER

We have 50 gallons and went through it in 6 days with three of us. We each showered twice and used a lot washing dishes. We could by with less, but I wouldn’t want to.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

We have 50 gallons and went through it in 6 days with three of us. We each showered twice and used a lot washing dishes. We could by with less, but I wouldn’t want to
About the same as Defender here. Shower s need to be quick. Wet down turn off water, lather and quick rinse off uses 1.5 gallons a shower. No teenager showers. Same here on doing dishes. Trying to come up with ways to use less. Not a fan of paper plates and plastic utensils. One way is to wipe off plates and utensils immediately after use. Also pre make food with clean up in mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94