Headlight Stone Guards

grandpa

I would like to see what some of you have used to protect your expensive factory headlights from stone damage. I want to use something that would not reduce the light output. I can't find anything offered for the 2000 Montero/Pajero. What about a clear Lexan panel or wire mesh mounted to the ARB bumper?

lugueto

Adventurer
The lights on my cruiser are very similar to Montero headlights, and are glass as well (as opposed to plastic in more recent vehicles).

I'd love to protect them as well, they're expensive and even a light stone strike will break them.

A friend of mine had a set of molded plastic headlight protectors he imported from Australia, but I can't recall the name and he sold that truck a while ago. I'll try to find the company who made them.

rayra

Expedition Leader
If you have any fabrication skills at all it would be quite easy to make some from 1/8" or 3/16" plexiglass. Heat the plex in your oven on low, remove your headlight and set it face up and brace it so it is supported and won't move. cover the face with kraft paper or linen or a cotton t-shirt. Get some heavy work or welding gloves, retrieve your softened plastic, lay it on the headlight and place either a doubled towel or a sheet of cardboard on it and press the warmed plastic to conform to your headlight and hold it in place while it cools enough to retain its shape. Once cool enough, trace or mark your edges for cutting. Or get fancy and really lap the edges over and later heat and bend portions to act as retention clips.
It's all tougher to describe than actually do. Make two sets while you are at it.

There's a few companies already making clear headlight covers out of acrylic / plex. They're typically held on with bits of double-sided tape. Couple dabs of clear silicone would do the job just as well and less noticeably.

robert

Expedition Leader
Personally I'd probably go with the headlight film but you could also make a frame to hold wire mesh and mount it to the ARB using clamps or zip ties. I don't have any pictures of my old FJ40 handy but that's what I did with the brush guard on the front of it.

4xdog

Explorer
These are from police vehicles (French national police, as part of the overall event management at the Monaco Grand Prix over the years), and are probably more designed for crowd control situations than trail damage, but they may give you some ideas.

i-8gmN64M-X2.jpg

i-5fq9FKf-X2.jpg

i-nTkx4qd-X2.jpg

i-BjXzL42-X2.jpg

i-RFQ3hsP-X2.jpg

colodak

Adventurer
many years ago, I had some that were made from mesh, I think KC Hilights made them for the 5x7 lights, they attached with metal clips that attached the trim bezel screws. They worked well, never had a headlight break or chip, only downside was removing them to clean the headlights, the tabs would get brittle over time.

outofrshell

Adventurer
I used baking racks, they are available in a number of sizes and the mesh on the better quality ones are either chrome or stainless. The frame can be cut and fitted to the opening and small tabs can be welded on to mount them. If you shop around you can find them with a mesh size of about .5 X .5 in. which doesn't affect the lights but does a good job of protection. Dave

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
If you make them like on the van make sure you can remove them quickly. You will need to clean behind them.

p nut

butter
If you have any fabrication skills at all it would be quite easy to make some from 1/8" or 3/16" plexiglass. Heat the plex in your oven on low, remove your headlight and set it face up and brace it so it is supported and won't move. cover the face with kraft paper or linen or a cotton t-shirt. Get some heavy work or welding gloves, retrieve your softened plastic, lay it on the headlight and place either a doubled towel or a sheet of cardboard on it and press the warmed plastic to conform to your headlight and hold it in place while it cools enough to retain its shape. Once cool enough, trace or mark your edges for cutting. Or get fancy and really lap the edges over and later heat and bend portions to act as retention clips.
It's all tougher to describe than actually do. Make two sets while you are at it.

There's a few companies already making clear headlight covers out of acrylic / plex. They're typically held on with bits of double-sided tape. Couple dabs of clear silicone would do the job just as well and less noticeably.

Cool idea. I typically just used 3M clearbra stuff, but that sounds even better. As long as the tape holds.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Another vote for lamin-x film. It is cheap and easy and it works. I had a thicker film on the glass fog lights of my wife's car for 6 years. Numerous rock chips, several windshield replacements etc. but no fog light issues.
You should treat them every now and then to prevent hazing. I didn't use anything and we made it for 6 years before the film finally started to effect output. Likely because I had higher slightly higher wattage bulbs (in a very small housing) and my wife always drives with all of her lights on.

snare

Adventurer
I used Xpel on a 7" round headlight i fabbed up for my KTM.

Never heard of Lamin-X. I will check that out.

I am also looking for something to protect the headlights on my 98 Montero

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior