Snacks / light meal ideas

blackwood

Adventurer
Sounds like you want a hot meal/snack. I have a RoadPro 12-Volt Portable Stove. Throw a frozen burrito in and bam. You can basically put anything you want in it.

How long does a frozen burrito take a heat up? I have this portable oven but haven't used it yet.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
Sounds like you want a hot meal/snack. I have a RoadPro 12-Volt Portable Stove. Throw a frozen burrito in and bam. You can basically put anything you want in it.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a fridge, stove and oven with me. Stopping to prepare is the issue. I like some of the snack meal ideas that have been given, then when I am done driving and shooting I can make a good meal in the camper.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
How long does a frozen burrito take a heat up? I have this portable oven but haven't used it yet.

Honestly. Idk lol. I just throw it in and eat it few hours later. If I had to guess. 1 hr. Quicker if it wasn't frozen.

I have a fridge, stove and oven with me. Stopping to prepare is the issue. I like some of the snack meal ideas that have been given, then when I am done driving and shooting I can make a good meal in the camper.

No prep. Throw it in and eat when you ready.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Actually, burritos might not be a good idea on road trips. You have to think about the gas smell from your exhaust hole in close quarters.

Burritos. Pizza pocket. Bbq rib left overs. Are a few I have done. Basically anything that needs re heating.

SnoViking

Adventurer
I think I got this idea from one of Christopher Noel's posts. Pretty sure it was on this forum anyway, but: tortilla with peanut butter and dates. Their so easy to make. I'll take them hiking, snowboarding, to work, you name it.

We do a lot of tortillas. They pack flat, don't squish (like bread) are fairly taste neutral (good for sweet stuff/good for savory stuff), taste good out of the bag, taste better grilled, and are cheap. Plus the kids enjoy the game of "what can we stuff in and roll up". Ants on a log (peanut butter on celery with raisins) is exceptionally good rolled up in a tortilla.

Then there's always humus..... I could start a hole thread on humus and tortillas....

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
Toyotech - I have a friend that is known as "the guy with the 12v hot-dog cooker". He has the same lunchbox-sized cooker and it's pretty cool. He just straps in on the front rack of his quad and plugs it in. He will drop in some dogs, then a couple hours later, lunchtime!

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Toyotech - I have a friend that is known as "the guy with the 12v hot-dog cooker". He has the same lunchbox-sized cooker and it's pretty cool. He just straps in on the front rack of his quad and plugs it in. He will drop in some dogs, then a couple hours later, lunchtime!

Ah I totally forgot. I done hot dogs too. It's perfect for them. It's like buying from those hot dog stands.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Does anyone use those 12v electric tea kettle things? Seems like it would work well for french press coffee and freeze dried meals. None of the models listed on amazon have good reviews though. Probably a good one would pull too many amps?

Last edited:

racergirl76

Most of our traveling involves a long hard trail ride, away from the truck and icebox. In an effort to have usable energy without that sugar crash we increased proteins that still have moisture in them yet can go all day without refrigeration in the camelback. If it's hot out, some items get partially frozen and thaw by lunch.

*Rice balls (Japanese sticky rice seasoned, filled with smoked salmon, pulled pork, or other leftover/canned concoction) these are the ancient Japanese art of the energy bar. I've Americanized these fillings, and wrap them individually in saran wrap.
*Leftover BBQ chicken pieces/slices or steak slices. (seasoned with Pappy's dry rub for BBQ, presliced, into serving/snack baggies, eating cold with or without sauce.)
*hard boiled eggs still in the shell (with tiny packets of salt/pepper saved from in & out burger)
*leftover cold pizza, each serving individually wrapped.
*foil packets of tuna or smoked salmon (we always have one or two for emergency food)
*pickles or other fermented foods travel well.
*hardy traveling fruits: apple, clementines, etc
*salami or deli meat, cheese slices, and wheat thins
*sweet bread 'sandwiches' (sliced bandana, pumpkin, or zucchini quick bread, with cream cheese or 'better than cream cheese' generously spread between slices)

*a PB&J on sourdough or wholegrain (resists crushing better) is also included as 'insurance' incase the day goes long. Each is wrapped in one or two paper towels before put into the zip locks baggie - to contain any oozy mess and keep hands cleaner. I can also label the paper towel with a sharpie for contents or by initials. e.g. low sugar peach... His/hers. I don't mind if these don't get eaten and thrown out, they are insurance against unexpected delays mechanical breakdown /injury/navigation errors/ challenging weather or trail conditions. They are better assimilated energy than the 3 year old Luna bar sitting in the bottom of the backpack.
We've reduced the nuts/granola/dried fruit/power bar snacks since they can be heavy on the digestion system and pull water from the body (not good when traveling).

Small chocolates (think Halloween sizes) for mental health or end of meal palate cleanser.

In the icebox can be items with containers:
*jello w/ fruit in bottom (full suger kinds stay fresher longer than reduced sugar), Chocolate (tofu) Pudding, almond milk tapioca. (not all the same day)
*cold deli salads, either homemade or store bought: pasta, salads, 3+ bean salad, chicken curry(not all equal), potato salad, Hawaiian chicken salad, tuna(or rabbit) salad, egg salad. The last three can be eaten with crackers, sans utensils.
*Bento box of veggies and dip in manageable secure-lidded box, items mostly separated by silicon cupcake holders. Veggies: carrot sticks, Cucumber slices, jicama sticks, sliced bell peppers, radishes, etc. Many slices are used with a
Dip: of hummus or Ranch dressing in a small container. Or guacamole with chips.
Delicate fruits go in the Bento - berries, grapes, etc.

Search Google for 'Bento lunches' for ideas. You'll have to look beyond some creative food art for ingredient ideas.

Last edited:

TwinStick

Explorer
Making jerky is easy-peasy. Get a large cut of low fat meat, like a London Broil or what ever is handy at the store. Bring it home & trim any fat off that you can. Slice into 1/4" thick strips. I use one of these on the meat before it goes into the marinade bag: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/48-...ogleShopping&gclid=CLSB-cSk3cwCFQ9ZhgodrSMMiw I make a bazillion holes in the meat. I use brown sugar, Jim Beam Black, Worchestershire sauce, liquid smoke, salt, montreal chicken seasoning, seasoned rice vinegar, minced garlic, teriyaki sauce, low sodium soy sauce. I let it marinade (meat is completely covered in marinade) in a large ziplock, in the fridge for at least 5 days. Set the oven for 225 & keep an eye on it. Around 3 hrs or so.

The marinade can be what ever you want really, even as simple as salad dressing & salt. Everyone likes theirs to different dryness levels.

Honu

lost on the mainland
used to eat a lot of white rice packed into a tuperrware shape with stuff inside very common when I lived in the islands
rice and spam singles and some shoyu OH YEAH

also PBJ I always put the PB on both side of the bread that way it no get as soggy :)

kinda like cliff bars seem to always pack well and taste good

for heating many here use the manifold to warm things up just google manifold cooking

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior