How tall is too tall? Size parameters...

mxpxer7

Hey all - hoping to revive this thread to get some input on a vehicle I am considering purchasing. My fiancé and I are based in the US, but have world travel ambitions. The truck we are considering purchasing is an extremely capable expedition vehicle, so that box is ticked, but the overall height sits at a mighty 12'6". For the next few years we are planning to travel around the US, Baja, and Canada and, based on previous input, it sounds like we shouldn't have any major issues with size. However, ultimately we want to be able to do a global expedition. Are we biting off more than we can chew with a 12'6" height and 8' width? Appreciate any input!

gator70

You should be at 6ft 5 in interior height. Consider frame height on the vehicle. And how tall the tires are.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Height and width are not independent of each other.
How high that maximum width occurs is critical.
Many "larger" vehicles sustain more damage in Oz than smaller ones, so it is also critical that protection against damage is part of the design. Tracks are typically Toyota Troopy width and height because that is the majority vehicle size.
We are 2160mm wide and 3050mm high. The leading edges, are steel reinforced and the front scrub bars are essential. The skins are fibreglass. Solar panels are vulnerable. Windows need to be polycarbonate. We accept that we will have damage.
Short clips.

Cheers.
Peter

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Being narrow has massive benefits. We sit at 10'3" tall and just 80" wide (same as truck cab)
We operate for the most part in the PNW and while we dont hit narrow jeep trails, we go where we want.
The only time we are turned around or have to cut limbs/trees is post windstorm trips or early spring runs, as trees are often across the road/trail

53205509381_2a8b3b0de7_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior