Side view mirrors mounted to the cab over?

dfrank

Observer
I have an '89 lance 11.3 on a 96 F350.

The power mirrors on this truck are tiny and not safe for the wide camper.

I put the cheesy CIPA extenders on in a pinch, and they are all but useless.

I have not found an aftermarket power mirror that fits, and if I did, they'd likely be $300 for just the part, and I'd be drilling holes in the door and leaving holes where the factory mirror was.

Has anybody played with mounting mirrors on the cab over? I think Ive seen them on the cabovers on moving trucks.

Any one got one that worked well?

Thanks,

boxcar1

boxcar1
Years ago we had a Paris Valley camper with mirrors mounted to the overhang. they actually worked well.
I must warn that they were prone to getting tangled in branches. One had to be very careful in tight spaces.
Why not add a rear facing camera?
It's to bad you don't have the stock Ford hoop style mirrors that most 96's had . A simple slide adapter works perfectly on those.

Dusty-NZ

Observer
I have mirrors on the cab over , they are tiny , but work ok compared to the truck originals , which don't have a wide enough view.

When the camper is fully mounted , the mirrors are close together and I have had no bother with close quarters , really , if the miirror touches something , I feel I am too close :)

Attachments

• sept 001.jpg
    sept 001.jpg
    626.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 100_4442.jpg
    100_4442.jpg
    649.6 KB · Views: 16

boxcar1

boxcar1
I have mirrors on the cab over , they are tiny , but work ok compared to the truck originals , which don't have a wide enough view.

When the camper is fully mounted , the mirrors are close together and I have had no bother with close quarters , really , if the miirror touches something , I feel I am too close :)
Nice rig . I love it.
Picture the mirrors mounted to a newer aluminum skin tough. 1 good wack and you have a leak. Then rot etc.

1015141209.jpg

This old rig ( my first ) had issues like that when we got it.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
Try wrecking yards for a set of towing mirrors. I found a pair for my truck and camper from a guy that upgraded his mirrors to a sleek new style and did not need the pull out towing mirrors.

Lance990

Observer
Years ago we had a Paris Valley camper with mirrors mounted to the overhang. they actually worked well.
I must warn that they were prone to getting tangled in branches. One had to be very careful in tight spaces.
Why not add a rear facing camera?
It's to bad you don't have the stock Ford hoop style mirrors that most 96's had . A simple slide adapter works perfectly on those.

I may have these hoop style mirrors since mine is a 97. What slide adapters are you referring to? I'm very interested. Are these what you are calling hoop style?

http://www.1aauto.com/ford-mirror-pair/i/1amrp00014

boxcar1

boxcar1
366.jpg
I couldn't get your link to work.
Pictured are the hoop style mirrors that Ford used on many trucks.
If this is what you have I will gladly send you the slides that will extend them .
You would have to provide your own carriage bolts and wing nuts though . The set I have were used with non stainless hard ware so the fasteners were thrown out.
They simply require that you remove the mirror head from the original hoop, bolt it to the slide bar then bolt the slide bar to the original hoop with the aforementioned carriage bolts and wing nuts.
You now have an adjustable mirror.

Last edited:

Lance990

Observer
View attachment 343454
I couldn't get your link to work.
Pictured are the hoop style mirrors that Ford used on many trucks.
If this is what you have I will gladly send you the slides that will extend them .
You would have to provide your own carriage bolts and wing nuts though . The set I have were used with non stainless hard ware so the fasteners were thrown out.
They simply require that you remove the mirror head from the original hoop, bolt it to the slide bar then bolt the slide bar to the original hoop with the aforementioned carriage bolts and wing nuts.
You now have an adjustable mirror.

Those are exactly the mirrors I have. Where did you purchase the slides? If you don't need them, I am glad to take them off your hands.

boxcar1

boxcar1
A set came on the truck pictured. Billet aluminum.
I won't be needing them as the coach width is the same as the cab.
PM me and we can exchange in formation . You pay the postage and there yours.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Nice F350! I went the same route, from my '97 F350 Powerstroke to a '98 12 valve dually. You'll love the Cummins!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles