trailer tongue help

frumpy

Explorer
I haven't been on here in a while but figured this would be a good place to get some help.

I purchased this trailer tonight with the plan of setting it up for kayaks. (specs - 3.5'x5' box and 3' tongue which is 2"x3" tubing, 2000lbs axle and 225lbs weight)

654102355003_ca.jpg

The main problem is it is way to short for my 13'9" kayak. I found a local place that has 2"x2" tubing in 8' lengths with a wall thickness of 3/16". The tongue is just two bolts through the frame which would leave me with 6'9" of tongue plus the coupler and then the distance between the ball and the bumper. Will the 2"x2" tubing be ok to replace the 2"x3" since the factory tongue is much thinner wall thickness and will having only 2' to 2.5' of clearance between the front of the kayak and the vehicle be ok?

I plan on keeping the original tongue for if I ever need to use it more as a utility trailer and load it up a bit more. Otherwise, with the kayaks and camping gear it won't be over 500lbs fully loaded ready to roll.

tarditi

Explorer
you should be fine - one option could be to make it so you could use a longer or shorter tongue (for when you don't want to haul kayaks) that can be swapped with bolts or lynch pins or something

6btEX

Observer
x2
Could you replace the tongue with a long receiver tube and have a piece of 2x2 telescope from it when needed, and collapse when not?

wagex

Adventurer
i did a 2" square tube inside of a 2.5" square tube (1/4" wall) with holes every foot to adjust all the way short the tongue is 3ft all the way out its like 9 or 10 iirc main purpose is for my kayaks, normally its set at 5ft but sometimes it needs to go to 6ft as some trails have steep inclines and kayaks hit the back window. the small 3/8 bolt pushes the tube down so it doesnt vibrate around, the big 1/2 bolt goes through the holes drilled into the inner tube to securely hold it from sliding.
902 (Medium).jpg903.jpg11193290_10155457260445537_953162330207475542_n.jpg

Buffalobwana

Observer
I would think that would be ok. 1/4" is stronger, and heavier. But 500 lbs max load? you aren't hauling too much.

Ask them if they have 2x3 11 ga (which is 1/8"). Lighter, and probably quite sufficient.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
i did a 2" square tube inside of a 2.5" square tube (1/4" wall) with holes every foot to adjust all the way short the tongue is 3ft all the way out its like 9 or 10 iirc main purpose is for my kayaks, normally its set at 5ft but sometimes it needs to go to 6ft as some trails have steep inclines and kayaks hit the back window. the small 3/8 bolt pushes the tube down so it doesnt vibrate around, the big 1/2 bolt goes through the holes drilled into the inner tube to securely hold it from sliding.
View attachment 341170View attachment 341171View attachment 341172

This is a really slick idea, at 9-10' there's no flex etc?

Also not to high jack but what size/type propane mount is that? Thanks

frumpy

Explorer
I'm not too worried about having it adjustable as it will primarily be for kayaks and I could always switch back to the original tongue if needed.

As for weight it will hold 2 adult kayaks (50lbs each) a kids kayak (20lbs) paddles, PFD's, and a cooler.

They didn't have any 2"x3" but it wasn't an actual steel shop.

frumpy

Explorer
Finally got the trailer home (had some issues getting it registered). I'll post some pictures if anyone is interested. I'm probably going to do plywood on the top of it to help keep stuff in. The cross bars will be 1" square tubing with washers underneath to give clearance for the kayak J racks mount. I still haven't decided if I'm going with the 3/16 2"x2" tube for the tongue or if I'm going to look for some 2"x3"

wagex

Adventurer
This is a really slick idea, at 9-10' there's no flex etc?

Also not to high jack but what size/type propane mount is that? Thanks
nope the tongue is pretty heavy wall 1/4" its way overkill there is a little from the trailer frame itself as the tongue only attaches to the front and center cross beams on the trailer, i plan to extend it all the way back to the rear support which will also allow me to put a rear receiver for a basket or tow hook.

the propane mount i made myself from some 3/8 strap i had laying around, and a couple steel rings from the hardware store for the ratchet strap to hold the tank and i use a short bit of chain with a padlock to secure it on the top.
20150424_201602 (Medium).jpg20150425_173135 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles