New Wave 1: The Next Wave of this Suburban

KE7JFF

Adventurer
I'm a voleenter for a search & rescue group here in Oregon, Mountain Wave (www.mwave.org) that provides communcations, medical, K9, 4x4 and other services for Search & Rescue operations as well other events here in Oregon (Insert bragging about magazine articles, newspapers, national TV, etc here, blah blah)

Back in July of 2015, our very first rig that has been with the organization since 1992 was deemed surplus and our board offered to me as I was in the market for a 2nd vehicle. It was a 1989 Chevy Suburban V2500 4x4 that had been kept in great condition since we acquired it used in 1992 and had a low 15,000 miles on it or so since we drove it like 700-1000 or so every year. This is not the best picture, but its right there in the middle; this is from I think 2008 from one of our searches on Mt Hood:

0517091152.jpg

Originally, it ran when we sent out our other rig, COM2, a Type II Ambulance built by Southern Ambulance with a 1984 Ford E350 cutaway body, which is also seen in that photo. Around 2010, we got a donation of a Type I ambulance also built by Southern Ambulance on a Internatinal 4400 cab with the DT360, which was a bigger more capabile rig, so COM1 got used less and less to the point by 2013, it was sitting idle all year long. One of our other members started to refurbish the rig, but we got a donation of a few newer rigs that basically replaced it by 2015,

So like I said, it was offered to me when it was deemed surplus by our board, so after a little test drive, I put in a offer of $750, which was accepted by our board, so I signed the papers and it was mine!

11148583_10153117304587023_7424365618030935805_n.jpg

This is what it looked like when I picked it up; the light bar was removed, the A/C system was discharged, my tail lights were dead, power locks were not working, but everything else was running great. Thanks for some of our current members doing maintence on the rig over the years, I found out the AC system was discharged a few years back and halfway converted to R134, I just needed the fittings for the new refrigerant hoses and I was good. The tail lights were interesting; I had to break out the service manual to figure out the wiring; found out that they were clipped up in the engine compartment; turns out the light bar wiring was tied into those wires and I found them cut, so I just did a good splice and fixed them; then found out the bulbs were dead in the tail lights so I replaced them with some LED units that were on clearance and I was golden.

I wired up a 2nd battery in the rig with a isolator relay; I just used another group 78 battery from Wal-Mart since I don't do that much deep pulls on the battery yet. Installed my SAR radios for both UHF and VHF and I was golden.

My plans so far for the rig is to keep everything stock; from a few trips with the rig around Oregon, Washington and BC, I'm happy with the 350 TBI's power; the werid thing for me is driving with a 3 speed transmission; I'm so used to feeling over drive kick in on the highway, but I like the power range on this baby. I wouln't mind a external over drive.

The projects I have upcoming on this rig is to first build a small sleeping/storage platform in the rear; I'm also tempted to perhaps build a cargo cage that would divide down the 80/20 bench seat and I could keep stuff stored better. I do want to put in some better headlights. Here is a picture in its current configuration; its still a work in progress. I've named the rig New Wave 1 to keep the legacy of this thing going for another 20 years.

Here is a recent photo of the rig from when were were out for a search for a missing man with memory issues out by Cannon Beach that appeared on KGW back in February:
12662452_10153454935232023_4321275579390925039_n.jpg

KE7JFF

Adventurer
So I am starting to tackle doing the sleeping platform.

What I am thinking of is a simple 5 by 4 platform with a 1 foot flap that I can flip out after I fold the center seats out; I see lots of people do this. I'm going to go with 1x8 planks as the support beams and of using plywood as the floor. I'm probably going to carpet it, but I do want to leave some space on the sides for storage so it will not fill up the entire cargo area.

My plan is to primarly camp with this thing where I have shorepower avalible like an RV park or near a generator; so I'm going to probably intergrate a power strip in the cargo bay along with a AC/DC power converter so I can power my radio equipment and other 12V devices.

justcuz

Explorer
There is a white one with a stick and a snow plow setting on the road up to Hurricane Ridge I would love to own.
Yours is coming along nicely.

KE7JFF

Adventurer
There is a white one with a stick and a snow plow setting on the road up to Hurricane Ridge I would love to own.
Yours is coming along nicely.

Thanks! I like the white look, however I need to do a paint touch up job on mine this summer.

KE7JFF

Adventurer
Sweet truck! I have a white truck a decade newer. Building a sleeping platform soon too!

I had a suggestion the other day on a easier to build sleeping platform: Find either a 4x8 or 4x6 pallet and put it on legs.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I had a suggestion the other day on a easier to build sleeping platform: Find either a 4x8 or 4x6 pallet and put it on legs.

sure, if you want to lose the thickness of the pallet out of your storage space. And want to ghetto it up.
It's not hard to build a platform. Two long drawers under it and the sides provide all the vertical support you need for a ~5/8" thick deck. Use 1/2" for the verticals, the drawers, the base. Look at the stuck topic at the top of the Storage subforum, there's tons of design ideas and home built platforms.

I'm still in the pencil sketch phase on mine for my Sub, but hope to post some SketchUp plans very soon. You'd probably like the 'power conversion / management / battery' module I'm building into the setup.

KE7JFF

Adventurer
sure, if you want to lose the thickness of the pallet out of your storage space. And want to ghetto it up.
It's not hard to build a platform. Two long drawers under it and the sides provide all the vertical support you need for a ~5/8" thick deck. Use 1/2" for the verticals, the drawers, the base. Look at the stuck topic at the top of the Storage subforum, there's tons of design ideas and home built platforms.

I'm still in the pencil sketch phase on mine for my Sub, but hope to post some SketchUp plans very soon. You'd probably like the 'power conversion / management / battery' module I'm building into the setup.

Yeah, I have been looking at that thread for ideas; I wish I could find some prefab boxes or something.

The pallet I had originally a line on (for free may I add) were these odd 4x5 pallets that are about 9" tall; they were used for some special aircraft parts shipment so its built with good strong wood and has a good center support as it had to hold 750 lbs of parts. What I was thinking of was cut out small slots for the wheel wells then put in a 1 foot flap so I can lay down perfectly when I have the center bench seat down (i'm 5'11) then put plywood over the top and carpet it to make it look nice. However, I might not be able to get those pallets now, but I might try to recreate one since they are simple anyways.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Circular saw and a drill would be enough to get one built, if you have even limited building experience. Better more expensive tools just make it easier and faster. It's just building a couple boxes. You'd expend almost as much effort trying to tailor a pallet to fit. 3 sheets of plywood would do it.

module%20002_zpsk9dbocuo.jpg

KE7JFF

Adventurer
Oh I can build them for sure...however, these pallets I have pending are free, so I'm going to see what I can do with them first. I'm going to go look for them soon.

boll_rig

Adventurer
What a come up with only 15,000 miles and at such a price! Great acquisition!

I'd agree with Rayra on starting from scratch for the bed, youll save some weight and space. Oh and find that brush guard on craigslist! It needs it back. Love these old burbans keep us updated.

KE7JFF

Adventurer
What a come up with only 15,000 miles and at such a price! Great acquisition!

I'd agree with Rayra on starting from scratch for the bed, youll save some weight and space. Oh and find that brush guard on craigslist! It needs it back. Love these old burbans keep us updated.

Yeah, when I went to DMV to get my ham plates transferred over to it, the branch supervisor at DMV actually double checked in the computer the odometer was not rolled over; since we got the rig in 1992 used, we put on maybe 200-500 miles a year or so.
Building my own bed box is the plan B, but these oddball pallets as I understand are just as light as plywood and 2x4s, and well, they are free. And yeah, I'm looking for a brush guard; I almost want to see if can trade beer/whiskey for someone to fab me one.

KE7JFF

Adventurer
Well, during a trip to the Oregon Coast during Memorial Day, my AC stopped working; its hard to tell if its just the clutch or the compressor itself, but I have a line on a free compressor with clutch possibly, so I'm just going to switch both out and call it good.

I also had the water pump go out, but that was a easy job and didn't cost me much so I am happy. I'm noticing the engine runs a bit smoother and cooler now than before.

As for the platform in the rear, the pallets I was looking at are gone; the shipper that sent down to my friend wanted them back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94